• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

How Much Weight to add to the axles/hubs?

ajsmcs

Quarry Creeper
Back when I first got into crawlers, I spent a lot of time tuning the wheel weights of my little Trail Trekker to where it balances about as perfectly as you could ask it.

I've wanted to do something similar with my SCX10.2 since I've had it, but with stationary hub or axle weights. After I put the Holmes BL system in, I got burnt out on spending ridiculoso money on RC cars, and its sat that way ever since.

Now I have money and desire, so here we go...

I'm looking at a few different weight systems.

SSD has these which add 140g total.

D-Lux makes these which give you a whopping 312g total.

They're basically the same price.

My gut says "go heavier" but I worry that 312g is too much and it'll drive like a turd. Granted I've got the Holmes brushless system running off a 3S battery so maybe not.

Thoughts?

Depending on what else you have on your rig 313g shouldn't be to much weight but it might cause other issues like tire squish that causes turning issues and endoing going down hill
Both of those issues can be fixed but it costs more money

Heavy trucks don't climb as well and eat more battery they also run hotter and the servo will struggle more and they break parts faster /easyer
But heavy trucks look better crawling they feel better and the parts look like they work better together

Last edited:
Good advice. I think Im just gonna test it out first. I weight out those amounts worth of quarters, wrapped em up in tape, and gonna run it out with each amount taped to the chassis to see how it handles. Obviously it won't be 1-to-1 with weighted knuckles, but should give me a good idea. I'll give 'er a go after work and follow up with my results.

Last edited:
Back