• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

how do I wire/solder a Castle 10A BEC to an AE-2 esc, to run 3S LiPo?

ussprinceton2004

RCC Addict
I just purchased a new Axial AE-2 esc. On the sticker on the esc itself, it says 2S LiPo. However, I've read many members on here that say they've ran 3S LiPo with a BEC. So, how do I wire/solder a Castle 10A BEC so that I can run 3S LiPo batteries on the AE-2 esc? Diagrams would be helpful. TIA.

easy...cut off old esc batt plug...solder bec power wires to new batt plug....and use castle link to program ae-2 for 3s.....

Make sure you unhook the red wire on the 3 wire plug from the ESC to the RX.. The RX will get its power from the BEC now.
What I do is get a servo extension wire and cut it in half.. Then hook the female end to the battery wires or plug of the ESC. Then Solder the other half to the 2 wires coming off the BEC.. You only need the red and black or the orange and brown depending on the brand name of the servo extension.. The yellow wire is not used for my power plug mod.. This mod then allows you to plug your BEC into the ESC's battery plug wires, and has the ability easily disconnect if you want to use the ESC or BEC on another project.

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the quick responses guys. So, basically, the higher voltage from the 3S LiPo battery is to run through the 10A Castle BEC (set at, let's say 6.0V) to power directly to the servo, instead of the AE-2 internal BEC, powering the servo, right? Then, the CC 10A BEC is necessary to run higher voltages to the servo, but, what about the AE-2 esc? Do I just re-program it using a castle Link, and change it to 3S? From what I'm understanding, then, is that, the BEC is there, for reasons pertaining to the servo, and has really nothing to do with the esc itself?

Do I just re-program it using a castle Link, and change it to 3S?

The AE-2 is set from the factory for "Auto", meaning it will automatically detect the type of battery (eg. 2S, 3S). Just solder up the BEC per previous instructions and plug in your battery of choice. You'll hear three beeps on start-up indicating a 3S battery.

Thanks for the quick responses guys. So, basically, the higher voltage from the 3S LiPo battery is to run through the 10A Castle BEC (set at, let's say 6.0V) to power directly to the servo, instead of the AE-2 internal BEC, powering the servo, right? Then, the CC 10A BEC is necessary to run higher voltages to the servo, but, what about the AE-2 esc? Do I just re-program it using a castle Link, and change it to 3S? From what I'm understanding, then, is that, the BEC is there, for reasons pertaining to the servo, and has really nothing to do with the esc itself?

Yes and no. The Castle BEC is used to reduce the electrical load on the ESC as it is powering the servo. This allows the ESC to run cooler on the higher voltage.

Pete.

Back