• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Holmes Hobbies motors... any idea on ETA?

high plains drifter

RCC Addict
Subscribed Member
I'm asking here just because I really don't want to bug HH with another email for them to deal with.

Specifically I'm looking for a Crawlmaster Sport 550 15t for my TF2. I might go with a Trailmaster that currently shows up in stock at Amain and RPP but I'd rather get what I really want if the wait might not be too long.

Anyway... Just wondering if anyone here has been informed of when amain, rpp, etc might be re-stocking with fresh batches of HH motors.

Thanks much.

I got that same motor from RCMart just a month ago. Might still have some in stock

EDIT: Sorry, it was Atees, just checked my list

I appreciate that info. Depending on when those are avail again here, I may have to go that route if I don't get the TRailmaster.

RPP is showing the 8, 10, and 13T's in stock. I would think the 13T would be close enough, if you're really set on that particular motor.

There’s a chart on Holmes site that has a majority (not all, or the ones I’m usually curious about, grrrrrr!) of the kv ratings of his motors listed and I’d definitely cross reference it when comparing his motors for what is “comparable”. I was even emailed a recommendation from someone at Holmes Hobbies (not John) about a certain kv range I wanted to be in. Their recommendation wasn’t remotely close. Just saying, it’s easy to get numbers mixed up so at least do a little leg work to confirm any suggestions that the rest of us have. I was actually shocked that the Crawlmaster Sport 550 15t is only a 1250kv motor.

Bottom right corner of Holmes Hobbies home page click on “motor recommendations” to access the motor list. Would love to see this list all of their motors on the list, but I’m just a consumer who might find this information useful before I potentially drop $100 or more on a motor.

I really appreciate the info, guys.

This is the inquiry that I sent to HH...

"I'm looking to replace the stock 45t 14/ 64 motor in my TF2 Marlin Crawler with a Trailmaster Sport 550 27t and wanted to confirm that this would be an appropriate motor for this particular application. I'm not trying to make the rig faster although I'm not opposed to that. I'm mainly wanting a bit more low end "umph" or torque while maintaining steady/ controlled acceleration. This is primarily a trail truck if that matters.

I would also like to confirm that the stock 14/ 64 gearing will be suitable and if not what would Holmes Hobbies instead recommend? ( assuming that the Trailmaster 550 27t is a good choice)"

This is the response that Jordan replied to me with...
"The TMS 550 27T will spin about 40% faster than your 45T 540. Changing your pinion to an 11T would at least get you close to 20% slower than you would've been with no gearing change. Having more gear reduction increases torque, especially for drag brake. You may see an improvement in low speed modulation as well.
Many times people will "feel" like the Crawlmaster motors have more torque, though it's just because they will start at a lower RPM as they require fewer amps to get moving. The 5 slot Crawlmasters are known for smooth low end control. The motor that would match these speeds the best would be the Crawlmaster Sport 550 15T, spinning at 1250Kv. https://holmeshobbies.<wbr>com/motor-recommendations"

So going by that, if anyone has any additional opinions on this, I'd be grateful to hear your thoughts.

I initially wanted to keep the 14/ 64 gearing but I'm not opposed to regear... like with what Lashlee recommended with the 13t. I just want to get it all ordered and installed at the same time without having to get one thing then wait on something else.

Any additional assistance would certainly be appreciated.

I have the HH Crawlmaster Sport 550 13T installed on this rig right now-->

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2tjWhEQwzw8" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's a TRX-4 on the heavier side. I got the 15T version to replace this motor, cause I feel that the 13T has more speed than I actually need. Don't get me wrong, it's a great motor and performs great at low speed control. Drag brake is decent too, considering the weight of the rig. But I just feel a bit more torque would increase the rigs performance.

I think that you can't go wrong with these Crawlmaster Sport motors, especially at the price they sell. At the end of the day, get another pinion and try both ones to see what you like best.

@xagoras I appreciate the video and the advice. I'd rather stick with what HH recommended though since I'm on a tight budget. I'd rather not buy and test a bunch of pinions right now. Just hoping that the 15t will be back in stock soon. Again... much appreciate the insight and normally that's the route I'd go.

Back