• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.
Hi all,
My first post on here - I've been on the rocks for a few years now but always using Budget Brushed Motors:
Holmes Hobbies CrawlMaster Sport 550's / TrailMaster Sport 550's Element Reedy 5-Slot 540

I have many 2S LiPo's but I have seen how Brushed Motors work better on 3S LiPo's - As John Holmes says "Volt-up and Gear-down"
(My understanding is that brushed motors are more efficient at higher RPM's and give better slow start-up and obstacle climbing when you're geared down)

Now I have a HW QR Fusion Pro 2300Kv
Can you cast any light as to whether this motor crawls just as well on 2S as 3S without overheating issues?

Thanks for the benefit of your experiences here...

Larry C

your not going to get any smoother than a brushed motor and a good esc but the new brushless set up are getting damb close mostly cause of the improvements made to the escs
we're brushless motor really shine over the brushed motor is it's range you can crawl and haul you still get the smooth start up and you pick up more top speed as well so there just as slow but about twice as fast

I'm sure some one can explain it better than i can

personally I've never used a fusion or any 2 in 1 units so I can't say about 2s or 3s but I'm sure it's fine ether way

Last edited:
Hi all,
I have many 2S LiPo's but I have seen how Brushed Motors work better on 3S LiPo's - As John Holmes says "Volt-up and Gear-down"
Can you cast any light as to whether this motor crawls just as well on 2S as 3S without overheating issues?

Ohm's law my friend. More volts, Less amps for same power output. Generally, running More voltage will result in Less heat generated as the current is lower.

Hi all,
My first post on here - I've been on the rocks for a few years now but always using Budget Brushed Motors:
Holmes Hobbies CrawlMaster Sport 550's / TrailMaster Sport 550's Element Reedy 5-Slot 540

(My understanding is that brushed motors are more efficient at higher RPM's and give better slow start-up and obstacle climbing when you're geared down)

Thanks for the benefit of your experiences here...

Larry C
Anything Brushless is gonna far succeed brushed in every category, slow crawl or fast trail crawling, you name it .Brushless is night and day especially the FOC system. Not to mention brushless motors run cooler, lipos last longer, they're 100% waterproof and will last for many many years. 2s or 3s youll never have an issue with overheating the motor. I have more rigs than I can count, they all have Brushless setups nowadays. Ive never had a single issue..💯👍🏼

You will see the same benefits in 2s and 3s from brushed as you will in brushless. Volt up/gear down.

Properly geared you should never have any problems.

Those problems generally deal with some sort of binding in the drivetrain. Wither it’s locking up the wheels on an obstacle, bad bearing, burnouts, etc. if your hoping for it to do more you are using the wrong vehicle for the intended purpose.

Thanks for your reply's everyone...
I've got the HW Pro installed on one of my SCX10-II's. You already know what I'm going to say don't you?
Great improvement all round on 2S.

I went from a HH T/Master Sport 21T (1,950kv) to the 2300kv HW Fusion Pro and thought it was a bit too lively on slow start up, even on 2S, so I changed the 15T pinion to 13T and it suits me better. (Already tried reducing the Punch setting)

Damn this thing is so controllable and torquey, (is "torquey" a word?) I'm scared of breaking it!

At the moment I can't see any reason to go up to 3S but who knows?

I should add my FDR was 36.4 with the 15T pinion, now 42.0 with the 13T pinion.....which is stock gearing on the old 10.2 builders kit.

Thanks, all

Larry C

Last edited:
I have the Fusion Pro 2300kv in my Big Bronco build... I run 3s exclusively... It crawls fantastic.

4pijvtfl.jpg

2s for the backyard track and when I raced.
3s since day 1 for all crawlers and trail trucks.
I have been pondering 4s though.

I moved up to 4s, and geared down for it. Massive improvement. If you have an ESC that can handle it, do it!

It's going to depend on your rig and your gearing. I used to only run my trail rigs / scale crawlers on 2S, but now I only want to run 3S. Wheels speed is so helpful to have.

I run 3s in all my fusion systems. Pro and se versions, which I think it 2- pros 2300kv and 3- 1800kv se. The fusion systems are just sooo smooth, startup is IMO better than a good brushed system and the less space it takes up without having an external esc is great.

Longer run times and just more power available if needed on 3s. I only have 2s lipos for my boys to run in their rigs.

I have the Fusion SE and Pro in two different rigs (Element Ecto and Vanquish Phoenix) and run them exclusively on 3S. It's all the same benefits as 2S, but with more speed available on tap. I've increased the pinion sizes over stock for more speed with no overheating.

I've used the same setups with 2S in a pinch, but also found them to lack the punch an wheel speed to get over some obstacles like fallen logs.

Back