• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Hobbywing Quicrun 1080 - new cheaper version or fake copy?

donaldsneffe

Rock Crawler
New super cheap 80 A crawler ESC with program card (was "fake Hobbywing 1080)

Hi,
check this out:

Hobbywing QuicRun 1/10 1/8 1080 Crawler Brushed WP 80A ESC W/ Program Card

Very different look, different type of program card, much cheaper...
Not sure what to think about this, does not look like a 1080 ;)

999163-pasted-from-clipboard-png

999166-pasted-from-clipboard-png

Not sure what to think about this.
There seem to be new cheaper versions of Hobbywing ESCs, such as the new "black" Hobbywing Quicrun 1625, which comes with the 1/16 RGT Defender and has, in contrary to the "normal red" 1625 crawler mode, drag braka, but therefore far worse low speed modulation.

Walter

Last edited:
I'd avoid this one...

So much is lacking compared to the traditional HW1080WP.

It is using a cheaper slide switch instead of the button style, the heat-sink looks lower-grade, the battery connector is Deans style rather than XT60, etc.

The 1080 we all know and love is priced so nicely I wouldn't try something like this unless you were building a cheap budget trail truck, and not really planning on needing good low-speed control.

I'd avoid this one...

So much is lacking compared to the traditional HW1080WP.

It is using a cheaper slide switch instead of the button style, the heat-sink looks lower-grade, the battery connector is Deans style rather than XT60, etc.

The 1080 we all know and love is priced so nicely I wouldn't try something like this unless you were building a cheap budget trail truck, and not really planning on needing good low-speed control.

Well, it simply looks like a 1060 but programable.

Battery connector is not a characteristicum.
I did already buy a lot of HW 1080, and some came also with T-plugs (Deans).
For me not really important, I use XT60, but changing is not a big problem.

I will buy one only for testing.
In German rockcrawler forum already a lot of guys did order one of those "new" 1080 for cheap.
Less than 20 € if you use some points or coupons, so not a lot of money wasted.
And if it is only as good as a 1040 or 1060, but programable, it is a really good deal.

The programmer card misspells "Item" as "Iten". That screams fake.

Don't waste your money, it's obviously stolen design and junk. Buying this stuff only support criminals. The more I look at this, the more differences there are.

You can tell it's a Chinese knock off just from the font. They like the serif fonts for some reason. OK I know that HobbyWing is Chinese too, but they have done the testing and marking for the US and are considered legit.

Another clue, if you read the description it has nonsensical English.

Note: All the wire length above is the length not the length you see from the outside

Huh What does that mean? If they had the manual online (like HobbyWing) you would probably see more very poorly auto-translated documents.

The heat sink is some off inexpensive the shelf heat sink that doesn't fit correctly. It's not anodized red and had no silkscreen labeling.

On the hobbywing site, the 1080 shows an XT60 connector, not Deans.

The side says "BEC 5.5V @3A". The real one is 6V/7.4V @ 3A.

The switch is incorrect, and definitely not IP anything rated. The wires to the switch only has two leads. Hobbywing has 4 leads and two buttons to the switch. The real one has three wires to the BEC and the fake only has two.

The motor wires have bullet connectors, the Hobbywing is open wires.

The 1080 has 15 parameters, the fake has 19 parameters. Must be better than the real one then. ;-)

It's probably a stolen design from contract manufacturer. They should be sued and shut down but they will be gone in 3 months and crop up some where else.

In the end if you read the Bangood Guarantee and Return Policy it's consistent with this product. Seriously go look at it.
https://www.banggood.com/Guarantees-and-Retun-policy_hl105

Stick to known hobby stores if you want you stuff to last.

On more thing.

The real one is $33.17 on hobbywingdirect.
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/quicrun-wp-1080-brushed-esc?variant=26223842568

The difference ~$6. Just skip Starbucks today and you will make it up.

Run. Run far, run fast and don't fund criminals.

I guess you did not get the point, also because you name all those obvious differences in your last post.
Everyone knows this, and everyone knows that this ESC is not a Hobbywing 1080.

However, it is a new crawler ESC with program card, and you get it for less than 20 € including shipment here in EU.
Your Hobbywing Link forgets, as always, shipment.
The "real" Hobbywing Quicrun 1080 is about 35 - 37 €.

No one expects this obvious fake to be as good as the HW 1080.
But maybe it is a nice, supercheap ESC?

Ang BTW: I personally do have 6 "genuine" 1080 (and several 1060, 1040, 1625), even two in their package as spare and for future projects.

Nevertheless I will buy this "fake" 1080, as so many others here.
Only because I am interestet how it works, how good or bad it is.
It is cheap.
Do have a ton of brushed ESCs here I only tested and maybe will use somewhen (Surpass, HK, ...).

I guess you did not get the point, also because you name all those obvious differences in your last post.

However, it is a new crawler ESC with program card, and you get it for less than 20 € including shipment here in EU.
Your Hobbywing Link forgets, as always, shipment.
The "real" Hobbywing Quicrun 1080 is about 35 - 37 €.

No one expects this obvious fake to be as good as the HW 1080.
But maybe it is a nice, supercheap ESC?

Ang BTW: I personally do have 6 "genuine" 1080 (and several 1060, 1040, 1625), even two in their package as spare and for future projects.

Only because I am interestet how it works, how good or bad it is.
It is cheap.
Do have a ton of brushed ESCs here I only tested and maybe will use somewhen (Surpass, HK, ...).

Here’s what I don’t understand. Why not spend the extra $10 or so dollars to get a proven, high quality, already decent price ESC? I get having a budget, but that extra $10 will get you a proven product.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here’s what I don’t understand. Why not spend the extra $10 or so dollars to get a proven, high quality, already decent price ESC? I get having a budget, but that extra $10 will get you a proven product.

I did already post a long posting to this in the German forum.

I will do it short here again.

First:
I do have 5 or 6 original Hobbywing 1080, and several 1060, 1625, 1040...

It is not the money.
There are few cheap brushed ESCs with program card and crawler modes.
The 1080, and the cheap Surpass crawler ESCs (wich do only have a HV BEC and therefore wont fit for many of my applications).

I build tons of tiny trucks, I love this... modifying, new electronics, ...
My 1080 are in my 1/10 trucks.
For those small trucks, cheapos, 50 - 150 bucks about, the 1080 would be a kind of overkill.
But also the AWG 14 wires are a problem. Far too large for XT30 and of course "red JST" or JST PH 2.0. Also thick wires are often a space problem in small trucks.
Since the HW 1080 is sealed and protected from water very well, it is extremely difficult to open the ESC box without damaging (BTW: Same problem in the Hobbywing Platinum heli ESCs).
So I can only cut the AWG 14 wire and then solder thinner wires to the ESC, no good solution, ... what if you wanna use this ESC in a larger truck later again?

I will check this new fake 1080.
It is about 20 bucks, so also suitable for super cheap trucks.
I (and many others) will see if this cheapo is capable, how well programming works, etc.
Then I hope I will be able to open the ESC and solder smaller wires to it and use it in smaller trucks.
Actually I use HK X-Car 45, HW 1625, Racerstar 60A, the usual red and blue small 20 - 30A ESCs, the small Turbo Racing, the DumboRC ESC.
Non of those is programable.

The "best" small ESC related to low speed control is the HW 1625 (and also the Thor, which I do not have), but this has a brake function and no crawler mode, furthermore "no" drag brake, the black Hobbywing 1625 with the awsome drag brake and crawler mode therefore has extremely bad low speed modulation.

If the fake 1080 is ok this will probably be my ESC to go in those small trucks (at least in WPL, MN, ... in 1/18, 1/24 we will see, in Orlandoo of course not).

So I will test it.
It is cheap, if it is bad, as so many other ESCs I do have... ok, not much money lost.
And if it is good - good for me :)

But it will never replace the genuine 1080 in 1/10 trucks for me (ok, if it should be supergood, maybe ;) ).

Walter

Last edited:
I did already post a long posting to this in the German forum.

I will do it short here again.

First:
I do have 5 or 6 original Hobbywing 1080, and several 1060, 1625, 1040...

It is not the money.
There are few cheap brushed ESCs with program card and crawler modes.
The 1080, and the cheap Surpass crawler ESCs (wich do only have a HV BEC and therefore wont fit for many of my applications).

I build tons of tiny trucks, I love this... modifying, new electronics, ...
My 1080 are in my 1/10 trucks.
For those small trucks, cheapos, 50 - 150 bucks about, the 1080 would be a kind of overkill.
But also the AWG 12 wires are a problem. Far too large for XT30 and of course "red JST" or JST PH 2.0. Also thick wires are often a space problem in small trucks.
Since the HW 1080 is sealed and protected from water very well, it is extremely difficult to open the ESC box without damaging (BTW: Same problem in the Hobbywing Platinum heli ESCs).
So I can only cut the AWG 12 wire and then solder thinner wires to the ESC, no good solution, ... what if you wanna use this ESC in a larger truck later again?

I will check this new fake 1080.
It is about 20 bucks, so also suitable for super cheap trucks.
I (and many others) will see if this cheapo is capable, how well programming works, etc.
Then I hope I will be able to open the ESC and solder smaller wires to it and use it in smaller trucks.
Actually I use HK X-Car 45, HW 1625, Racerstar 60A, the usual red and blue small 20 - 30A ESCs, the small Turbo Racing, the DumboRC ESC.
Non of those is programable.

The "best" small ESC related to low speed control is the HW 1625 (and also the Thor, which I do not have), but this has a brake function and no crawler mode, furthermore "no" drag brake, the black Hobbywing 1625 with the awsome drag brake and crawler mode therefore has extremely bad low speed modulation.

If the fake 1080 is ok this will probably be my ESC to go in those small trucks (at least in WPL, MN, ... in 1/18, 1/24 we will see, in Orlandoo of course not).

So I will test it.
It is cheap, if it is bad, as so many other ESCs I do have... ok, not much money lost.
And if it is good - good for me :)

But it will never replace the genuine 1080 in 1/10 trucks for me (ok, if it should be supergood, maybe ;) ).

Walter

Fair enough.

Here in SA the 1080 is more than double the price of a 1060 and this esc is the same as a 1060. That includes shipping to my door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I 100% agree - for an extra $10 or so, you get the genuine Hobbywing 1080, proven commodity. I just picked up one with the program card for $41 US. As others stated above, buying this knockoff crap only supports thieves who steal other's designs and tech.

Only because I am interested how it works, how good or bad it is.
It is cheap.

Your title says "new cheaper version or fake copy?" So that's the questions I was answering. Perhaps I did miss the point and fair enough if you want to play with it.

However, you missed my point, completely. To be honest, this stuff strikes a bit of a nerve.

IP piracy is a real crime and I would never knowingly support these crooks. There are thousands of hours into the design and manufacturing of the real device. These guys want to make a quick buck by scamming unsuspecting consumers at the expense of HW. Buying this supports them and validates what they are doing.

I would not assume that everyone knows it's not Hobbywing.

If it's any good why not just call it a different name and move on?

IP piracy is a real crime and I would never knowingly support these crooks. There are thousands of hours into the design and manufacturing of the real device. These guys want to make a quick buck by scamming unsuspecting consumers at the expense of HW. Buying this supports them and validates what they are doing.

1000% agree with you.

Well, if you look at the potos you can see its not a 1080 in the first place and not a program card that comes with a 1080. It can program a lot more settings. Its cheap and programable so its a good option if it works as you can buy it for the same price as a 1060. Its definitely not a clone of the 1080.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back