• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Hobbywing AXE 550 2700kv. What pinion?

Cuiken

Pebble Pounder
So I accidentally ordered the wrong motor for a rock racer build I'm doing and am left with this, the Hobbywing AXE 550 2700kv. So, stick it on ebay or stick it in the Sendero....

Obviously, it's going in the sendero.

Aside from the difficulty in finding a 48p pinion with a 5mm shaft, the motor fits easily enough. Xmas post though means the 18T 5mm shaft pinion I found online is taking an age to get to me.

TBH, I didn't give pinion size a lot of thought. Just went with a straight swap for the 3.175mm shaft 18T that is stock in there. Curious though, has anyone else tried the AXE 550 2700kv and what size pinion gear did they settle on?

At 18T, is the Sendero likely to end up faster, slower, overgeared, undergeared, overheated....? I really should have thought of al this before installing :)

Cheers.

Last edited:
Im not familiar with the sendero but if you type 48p pinion gear set on eBay there’s lots of options at a fair price. Get a 4 pack for 13$ and test them out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im not familiar with the sendero but if you type 48p pinion gear set on eBay there’s lots of options at a fair price. Get a 4 pack for 13$ and test them out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the issue is the 5mm/48p combo. Lot of single options for 48P but most of the 5mm sets are 32p or the smaller shaft.

Okay, I can answer my own question now.

It's plenty much faster. Faster than the chassis can really handle IMO, you have to drive very carefully. Pickup up is also insane, the thing wheelies. I only drove it for 10 mins but the motor wasn't even warm so, if I get used to the speed, I guess a larger pinion would be fine.

Despite the new top speed, it also crawld brilliantly, way easier to control than the old brushed setup with incredibly slow wheel speed (needs a bit of expo programmed into the TX).

All in, chuffed. Though, I'd have to admit, the 550 can is probably overkill since the Sendero is a pretty light truck. Still, you can always dial it back.

Back