• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

High Altitude 2.2 Shepard comp rig

Pretty much at a stand still due to Fusion's latest update that kills support for the hobbyist. Its now severely limited and a huge pain in the ass to design something with multiple parts.

You might want to try onshape, it is free and accessible from any computer. The free version will share designs with the public. It is easy to use similar to solidworks. The paid for version is very reasonable and will allow you to keep designs private.

Looking for a beadlock. Do most heavy comp guys run glued wheels or beadlocked? Is there any pros or cons to either?

The carbon wheels I'm running are glue on. If you can find a set, Vanquish SLW wheels are your best bet for a lightweight beadlock wheel.

The carbon wheels I'm running are glue on. If you can find a set, Vanquish SLW wheels are your best bet for a lightweight beadlock wheel.

Great thank you for the info. Question about the Ibex tires. I just received some, but couldn't find the CI 5.5 dual stage soft outer foams anywhere in stock. I got some proline 2.2 dual stages instead but didn't realize they are only for their XL size 2.2 tires so they're too big. I did find the 5.25 CI foams but not the 5.5, am I just waiting till they come back in stock?

Great thank you for the info. Question about the Ibex tires. I just received some, but couldn't find the CI 5.5 dual stage soft outer foams anywhere in stock. I got some proline 2.2 dual stages instead but didn't realize they are only for their XL size 2.2 tires so they're too big. I did find the 5.25 CI foams but not the 5.5, am I just waiting till they come back in stock?

I run the 5.25 ones. I started with medium but they were a little too soft. The firm outters were better but that was on my capra. Your rig is prob lighter so medium might work.

I run the 5.25 ones. I started with medium but they were a little too soft. The firm outters were better but that was on my capra. Your rig is prob lighter so medium might work.

I found the 5.25 comp cut softs so I ordered them hopefully they aren’t too soft. Weight of the truck is 4lb 7 oz without a battery.

Great work!
I'm very interested in these new rigs coming up with the capra axles!
Did you design the rodends or are they available online for download?
It looks great!

Been driving this rig and getting more used to how it reacts and can start to figure out which direction I want to go next. Big one on the list is more reduction and cutting some weight. i ordered some grade 5 titanium rod last week for links, and started working on a new skid and trans set up.

Screenshot 2020-08-29 16.18.56 by Casey Childs, on Flickr

Screenshot 2020-08-29 16.19.04 by Casey Childs, on Flickr

Screenshot 2020-08-29 16.19.09 by Casey Childs, on Flickr

Based on XR gears with a slight forward motor design. Will be capable of 9:1 to 4.5:1 overall reduction. Finalizing the gear spacing and layout before I commit to designing the case and sending everything to Shapeways.

Great work!
I'm very interested in these new rigs coming up with the capra axles!
Did you design the rodends or are they available online for download?
It looks great!

I honestly don't remember, I've had the models for over 5 years and don't remember where I got them from.

Thinking about ordering another capra kit and the Shepard chassis. Do you have a flat skid available for a axial 3 gear trans?

Any links to skids that would work? I've been here since rhe tlt/ bender customs days , but want to build a modern comp truck. Built a capra kit and love it. I've been searching, but finding the custom stuff is hard.

Any links to skids that would work? I've been here since rhe tlt/ bender customs days , but want to build a modern comp truck. Built a capra kit and love it. I've been searching, but finding the custom stuff is hard.

I would look into the UCFab Capra flat skid. Delrin skid and carbon fiber side plates is the way to go.

I would look into the UCFab Capra flat skid. Delrin skid and carbon fiber side plates is the way to go.

Just a heads up, finally got to install the UCFab 3 gear skid in my shepard chassis and the drive shafts hit the electronics plates. Kinda bummed because all carbon fiber looks so together. I don't see a clean way to move the plates up, so I guess I'll take the trans and skid off the capra and swap them.

Just a heads up, finally got to install the UCFab 3 gear skid in my shepard chassis and the drive shafts hit the electronics plates. Kinda bummed because all carbon fiber looks so together. I don't see a clean way to move the plates up, so I guess I'll take the trans and skid off the capra and swap them.

Is there room to grind the plates to clear the drive shafts? What about flipping the drop outs over so the pinion is on the low side for more room?

Back