• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Help with paint selection and how to for interior

CrawlSmall

Hello Ive been looking at getting Vallejo premium paint for my Phoenix body, but the description says it should be used with a primer but doesn't specify which primer to use. Their primer doesn't say it's safe to use with lexan. Do I need a primer with the premium paints? Also wasn't sure if I need to back the paint with some sort of clear coat to make it tougher. Another question is how I go about painting the interior airbrush or? TIA this will be my first airbrush body.

I can't help out here aside from recommending that you keep the gloss minimal for the interior. Matte/ satin is going to look more realistic for a lot of interior pieces when trying to replicate leather, fabric, interior plastics, etc. Or hit it all with a matte clear when you're finished painting. You may also consider painting smaller parts and pieces with a small brush as opposed to spray/ airbrush.

I am quoting here from their Amazon product page:

"especially formulated for superior adhesion to metals, fibreglass, polyethylene, clear Lexan polycarbonate, slot car and RC bodies, and all tuning and automotive applications. On some of these surfaces we recommend a basecoat of Polyurethane Primer (62061) for best results. Premium colors are flexible and exceptionally durable and permit prolonged exposure to weather without fading or losing their brilliance. Premium colors have been formulated with micronized, permanent pigments and an extremely resistant, exterior grade hybrid resin-polyurethane base, which withstands impacts, resists chipping and cracking, as well as direct exposure to heat and outdoor elements without cracking or fading, and is fuel residue proof up to a least 35% Nitro."

Since they say formulated for adhesion to polycarbonate, then I would NOT use the primer in that application - should be fine without.

Sounds like some great quality stuff!

Okay thank you, I thought it would be okay, but with the cost of bodies I figured I had better ask some people with experience. Do you have a recommended clear coat to back acrylics with?

Back