• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

HELP - Newbie With R1 Question

Kartman01

I have a Gmade R1 crawler which is essentially stock. When using it today, the left rear wheel/axle assembly came completely out of the portal housing. When taking it apart, the '850' bearings on the rear portal gear shaft completely disintegrated inside of the housing. My questions are:

1) What is the best bearing to purchase to improve reliability over the stock Gmade bearings?

2) What holds the rear axle in place? when taking the portal axle apart, the rear portal gear simply slides onto the axle. What will keep it from pulling out again?

3) Will I need to order other parts beyond the bearings? Does the portal gear press onto the axle? If so, it looks like I need purchase both a rear portal gear and rear portal gear shaft?

I'm a total newbie at all of this, so any help will be appreciated!

I have the same issue as I run big heavy wheels and tires. I use fast eddies bearings, red and tacky grease. The one bearing really is all holding axle in, easy fix, carry spares
I also replaced all bearings
3c026edb681cf0d5ff15ddcde3cfa64d.jpg

HANG UP AND DRIVE !

mikemcE, thank you for the insight - and awesome R1 you have there! I will try the Fast Eddy bearings... do you have a recommendation as to where to buy them?

Amazing all that holds the wheel/axle in place is a friction fit on a bearing!

Thanks

I have run mine now for a month , tekin sensored 17.5 HH esc, 3s glitch buster no bec even though I run dual servos runs cool pack after pack, even with those wheels and tires.... it's those teeenie bearings that are the only breakage I've had. Everything keeps on chugging , much to my surprise. I have a long irregular rock field that will not stop this on.
93959ebdd17d031ab06229fa1b7f0e3c.jpg

HANG UP AND DRIVE !

Last edited:
It looks like you have done an awesome job with your crawler. I ended up ordering a set of sealed ceramic bearings from Fast Eddy. Hopefully they hold up better than the stock Gmade bearings! Thanks a million for your help!

Back