• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Help choosing chassis

JimInMiami

Quarry Creeper
So I've run my Capra for 3 years now, done the usual mods, smaller pinion, droop shocks, 2.2 wheel/tires, and while it performs great, I want to change things up. I'm intrigued about all the flat rail conversions out there, but not sure which direction to go. Thing is, I want to move as much as possible over, including of course, tranny, axels and links.

Questions for those in the know: what are the good Capra-compatible options out there??

The Capra trans is terrible. Sloppy and heavy with too little reduction. Pick most any chassis that has enough rise for portal clearance and party.

I've done a few, my favorites are the toyzuki V3 and the new dlux gayler chassis that's coming out soon. It's pretty pimptacular.

While I appreciate the “don’t use the Capra transmission“ style of advice it’s not what I’m looking for. My objective is to build a better performing a Capra not the ultimate comp rig. Besides I like to play with the dig function. :flipoff:

So again, which good flat rails fit the Capra tranny??

Love the Spare-Time Hobbies Chassis for Capra.

Chassis: https://sth.ecwid.com/V1W-M2-Builders-Chassis-p181371373

Thanks RobotBoy, I ended up going with the Spare Time Hobbies V1W Z-PRO Leviathan chassis in carbon: https://sth.ecwid.com/V1W-Z-Pro-Chassis-w-4x-Brace-p461984814

The fact that it's a Veteran Owned business helped seal the deal for me. All the parts necessary to complete the build are available as STL files or ready to go. https://sth.ecwid.com/V1W-Z-Pro-Leviathan-c132390010

I thought I'd share the results "thumbsup"

oVudscc.jpg

All the Capra parts pretty much bolted right on, except for the drive shafts, where I had to instal a longer one in the rear and a shorter one in front. Not a big deal, as I have a ton of Axial Wild Boar parts in my parts stash.

Another minor issue was the dig servo's actuator arm was not reaching down into the transmission ring arm using the stock setup....

zE45iBN.jpg

So I flipped the servo mounting blocks, installing the servo from beneath the blocks and raised the aluminum bracket on which the dig servo is mounted, one set of holes on the chassis rails. The preceding is complicated to say, but I think the pics are self-explanatory.

GwWum8b.jpg

qplmmJb.jpg

Steering duties handled by a JX HV7032 which has an all-metal case, is fast and has a brushless motor.

CpkXFgs.jpg

Power provided by a Team Brood 35T and HW1080 combo.

qplmmJb.jpg

A 2000 mah 2C pack fits nicely on the optional battery tray. Shocks are Desert Lizards set up in 80% droop mode.

copAjSo.jpg

Body is the recently releases "Power Master" (dumb name IMO) from J Concepts. I like that it's short in the front making for a great approach angle.

ES0Lb92.jpg

Al4n8Ub.jpg

Wheels are 2.2's by Injora wrapped in old style Losi Rock Claws

3MwJJB9.jpg

3ae1spY.jpg

There you have it, what do you guys think?

If your set on keeping your transmission, High Altitude Performance makes a chassis designed to direct swap all of your Capra parts. it's more of a sportsman/ tvp style. Basically a throwback to the OG AX10 Scorpion. I've had one for a couple of years, very high quality well thought out chassis. You'll need small electronics/ 850-1300mah batteries. I'm currently building a swb strait axle bug. Pics in a bit. https://highaltitudeperformancerc.company.site/Shepard-2-0-Comp-Chassis-p228031575

If your set on keeping your transmission, High Altitude Performance makes a chassis designed to direct swap all of your Capra parts. it's more of a sportsman/ tvp style. Basically a throwback to the OG AX10 Scorpion. I've had one for a couple of years, very high quality well thought out chassis. You'll need small electronics/ 850-1300mah batteries. I'm currently building a swb strait axle bug. Pics in a bit. https://highaltitudeperformancerc.company.site/Shepard-2-0-Comp-Chassis-p228031575

Thanks Dusty, but I already made a choice, see pics 👆

sweet build ... looks really nice and sounds like you already used to the capra's drivetrain so the performance and fun factor is yourself to challenge which sounds like a lot of fun to me.

Thanks RobotBoy, I ended up going with the Spare Time Hobbies V1W Z-PRO Leviathan chassis in carbon:

The fact that it's a Veteran Owned business helped seal the deal for me. All the parts necessary to complete the build are available as STL files or ready to go.

There you have it, what do you guys think?

Man, that chassis looks great! Nice choice! Great looking build!"thumbsup"

I have a defunct Capra sitting in pieces on my shelf and it would look great sitting on this chassis. Great to hear it is Veteran Owned!

Man, that chassis looks great! Nice choice! Great looking build!"thumbsup"

I have a defunct Capra sitting in pieces on my shelf and it would look great sitting on this chassis. Great to hear it is Veteran Owned!

Thanks Brian, I had it out on the rocks yesterday, and it performs better that the Capra, probably cause of the lower C of G.

I think it turned out pretty nice man, good job on the build.

That color should really make it stand out in the crowd as well "thumbsup"

Thanks AK, I like to custom mix the paint to get something original.

sweet build ... looks really nice and sounds like you already used to the capra's drivetrain so the performance and fun factor is yourself to challenge which sounds like a lot of fun to me.

Yup, that was the idea. I rarely comp, so it's all about having fun on the rocks and trails! "thumbsup"

Back