• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Have Yeti, have Bomber, now what?

Antsiranean

Quarry Creeper
G'day! As the title suggests, I have two very capable 2.2" rigs. I mainly use them for local trails and a bit of crawling, and they both excel at this. The Yeti does surprisingly well, considering its IFS and front differential, but can't always follow the Bomber in its tracks. Both have MambaX set up with the 3rd channel operating the 2-speed gearbox, and shifting between 100% drag brake and 30% at the same time. A great setup for versatility. I can go slow as a snail when I want to, and can blast away at 30 mph if I ever find the space.

Now, I am thinking of getting a third rig to complement these two. I like to go out for RC walks with my two kids, so it should be something that can go most places the 2.2"s, without being too similar. Enjoyable on its own, but with capabilities that doesn't put it to (too much) shame next to the Yeti and Bomber, for when I go driving with my two kids. A kit would be nice, but since money isn't unlimited, I might have to go RTR.

What would you get?

A Wraith or Wedigo would be a good 2.2 complement . Maybe too similar for you? if budget be damned, check out the DMG kits that turns a Bomber into either IFS or a fully independent suspension rig and consider a second one that is different.

These are the rigs that come to mind.

While I do love the idea of an IFS Bomber, it's just out of my budget. It would take a Bomber kit, half a Yeti kit, a B1B kit, and all the electronics. And I couldn't put cheap electronics in a B1B, right? Easily way past a thousand bucks, right? I'm thinking half of that, roughly.

Wedigo, what's that? And I'm not keen on the Wraith, since it seems to be going out of production. No kit available anymore.

Edit: Redcat, I found the Wendigo. Will check it out. Thanks.

While I do love the idea of an IFS Bomber, it's just out of my budget. It would take a Bomber kit, half a Yeti kit, a B1B kit, and all the electronics. And I couldn't put cheap electronics in a B1B, right? Easily way past a thousand bucks, right? I'm thinking half of that, roughly.

Wedigo, what's that? And I'm not keen on the Wraith, since it seems to be going out of production. No kit available anymore.

Edit: Redcat, I found the Wendigo. Will check it out. Thanks.

I hear ya, Its a lot of dough and why I don’t have one. I agree with your sentiment as well, it’s demands the respect of some top grade electrics.

The Wedigo is a new release. Whats great is that there appears to be enough interest in it to keep it around awhile. Should be some decent aftermarket for it.

One thing to consider is parts. I've had so many different rigs over the years, you need the support parts and spares, etc.

If you go with a Wraith, Yeti, or Bomber, there are many shared parts. I have two boys, so everything I do seems to be in triplicate. So we have three Wraiths, had three Rustlers, three Slash 4x4's, etc. It is very convenient to have spare parts from the same pool. You can cannibalize as needed too if need be.

Depending on what you want, you could do an SMT build. Shared axles with what you have?

You could build a rig somewhat based off a Wroncho using aftermarket rails like the Toyzuki v3. You use wraith axles and possibly more Wraith parts depending on which skid you use. Just an idea if you want a rig with actual rails as opposed to a cage. Might take a bit of tinkering and have a bit of a monster truck stance based how big of a 2.2 tire you choose to run. Just an idea for inspiration if nothing else.

that'swhat I call a custom build truck using aftermarket frame rails.

You could build a rig somewhat based off a Wroncho using aftermarket rails like the Toyzuki v3. You use wraith axles and possibly more Wraith parts depending on which skid you use. Just an idea if you want a rig with actual rails as opposed to a cage. Might take a bit of tinkering and have a bit of a monster truck stance based how big of a 2.2 tire you choose to run. Just an idea for inspiration if nothing else.

That sounds seriously interesting, but certainly not cheap. I will look into it as a possible long-term project.

Do you think a 1.9" crawler - SCX10, TRX-4, could be something for me? My Bomber makes a mockery out of most of the terrain where I drive, so perhaps a 1.9 would give me some new challenges?

That sounds seriously interesting, but certainly not cheap. I will look into it as a possible long-term project.

Do you think a 1.9" crawler - SCX10, TRX-4, could be something for me? My Bomber makes a mockery out of most of the terrain where I drive, so perhaps a 1.9 would give me some new challenges?

That's exactly why scale trucks are great. They look realistic and they are challenged by milder terrain than 2.2 rigs. I honestly stopped running my 2.2 stuff because the larger tires and vehicles conquer obstacles much too easily.

A Wroncho isn’t all that bad expensive wise. A vendor on here makes plates that bolt right to stock axial rails for link mounting options. Called “wroncho plates”. From there you just get yourself some ar60s and links. Axial
Shock towers and skid and crossmembers. Maybe a builders kit and you could sell off the axles and recoop a big chunk

I am thinking about buying a truck that uses 1.55” wheels or even running small 1.9” tires because i was kinda feeling the same way about the 4.7” tires on my TRX4.

I would say look for something 1.9. The capra is still a buggy like the yeti/bomber but on 1.9’s and portal axles so definitely different.

I agree with the above statements for the most part. I don't care for the scale stuff much but 1.9s do present more of a challenge and can make each outing more fun. On the other hand, 2.2s let you tackle difficult lines and the added clearance is a big bonus. Also, a Wroncho is really not at all that expensive to build. I only mentioned the Toyzuki because it is the premium choice, but my Wroncho was built using SCX10 rails and it performs just fine.

Thanks a lot for all the advice. I will head off and either get a TRX-4, or start on a wroncho build using SCX10 rails. I'll add up the parts to get a rough idea of where it would land. One easy and good option, one interesting and good option. Nice!

Edit: I think the Capra is cool, but just way too good a crawler for the terrain I tackle. Nothing would challenge it.

That's exactly why scale trucks are great. They look realistic and they are challenged by milder terrain than 2.2 rigs. I honestly stopped running my 2.2 stuff because the larger tires and vehicles conquer obstacles much too easily.

X2, love my smaller tired 1.9 and 1.55 trucks, SCX10III, Ascender, TF2 etc. "thumbsup"

Back