• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Grob's AR60 build

grob23

RCC Addict
After much debate (mentally) I believe I've finally found the proper place for this thread. I'm still uncertain so mods, feel free to move it wherever!

Rewind a couple years ago and I bought a used MOA rig with the intention of hopefully getting to re-live a part of crawling history that I missed out on. Due to there beeing zero aftermarket and zero interest I decided to scrap the project and not build a BergV2 crawler... my MOA dreams will be fulfilled someday, but for now, another shafty!

I have a pile of dirty parts is all, but all builds need to start somewhere. I have:

A pair of stock AR60 axles from an OG Wraith (with incision steering links)
An old HiTec HS-7954SH servo with a metal Racers Edge clamping horn
A stock SCX10 transmission with WB8 shafts
A set of 2.2 Hot Bodies Sedona's with stock foams
A set of Axial shocks with SCX10 springs and retainers and modded caps
A set of delrin lower links (rears might be Kamikaze Kustoms)
Some random delrin chassis meant for an MOA rig (T1E Moonbuggy maybe?)
and as a place holder I have an Axial 35t motor
wQj60Br.jpeg

rDuFwMJ.jpeg

I'll hafta fab up a skid to fit the transmission, but I have ordered body mounts and spacers from DLux to widen the chassis. I also ordered a carbon fiber brace from DLux

I have an airbrushed body from back in the day that I plan to run, but more on that (and the wheels) later

Got an order from DLux Fab in today so I can make some progress

I got a pair of 70mm lightweight aluminum chassis spacers and a pair of 70mm body mounts. Got em installed with 12mm SS button heads. I plan to cut up a skid at work hopefully tomorrow

zgtrZpC.jpeg

While I did remove these axles from an OG Wraith chassis, I believe them to be from a Bomber. The diff cover looks different. Doesn't change much, they're still AR60s. Also from DLux I got a sportsman front axle truss and battery plate. I just have it loosely installed for now so I can take it apart and clean everything and add fresh grease. I probably won't use the tie-rod from incision and the drag link is temporary. It's a delrin link I've had kicking around for ages and while it works, it leaves a lot to be desired.

T4KWvn5.jpeg

I ordered a few Vanquish bits, and a Holmes motor. Also ordered an ESC. Dummy me forgot to order a rear axle truss, so back to DLux I go

Last edited:
The chunky, front and rear cross-braces on that chassis are interesting. Wondering how that center hole is going to be used.

Body mounts look confusing when I don't show the whole thing...

5HIWORc.jpeg

TQh1waK.jpeg

p0crqeX.jpeg

7TW2WED.jpeg

also, got a skid cut! This thing is thick but oh well (more weight down low I guess) Still gotta cut some more and get it drilled for the trans and to mount it. Came out to 59mm long x 69mm wide and fits great!

SzZEP3N.jpeg

Bit of an update: got some vanqiush goodies installed on the axles (C Hubs, knuckles, rear lockouts, and link mounts all around). Also cleaned-up the housings and added fresh grease on the gears. I see some broken axle shafts in my future as what's in it is pretty worn. Also got a Vanquish case installed on the transmission and a Holmes Hobbies CrawlMaster Sport 13T motor. I made another order to Dlux for a rear truss, and another order to RPP for parts to finish the transmission properly. More updates as parts roll in

scQSGBd.jpeg

Update!!! Yeaaaah!

I couldn't help myself and started adding links and bolts to the chassis... even though the skidplate is nowhere near complete. Obviously the transmission isn't installed (and most of the hardware is temporary)

In order to finally get this transmission up to par, I used these items

BpL73Cs.jpeg

Essentially, I didn't have the correct top shaft, so I ordered the AXIC1149 and was able to run the 56T 32P spur (AXIC1027) and the 14T 32P pinion (AXIC0725). I'm gonna try and shoehorn this transmission in with the gear cover (AXIC0078)

79nNkjc.jpeg

More on the axles: To finish the steering, I installed a "Wraith" tie rod from Dlux fab which is 3/16" titanium. I paired it with a titanium 1/8" link also from Dlux as my tie rod. Steering works awesome

4VJLZty.jpeg

Also from Dlux, I got a rear truss to match the front (obviously no servo mount and no battery plate)

j7ydHUI.jpeg

9Ua4bHN.jpeg

DcD5PpX.jpeg

The transition from where the skid would sit into the rear links is lookin wild with this angled skid... I might try to swap the links around or try different links. The delrin links I showed earlier wouldn't work, so I'll be using these 1/4" Stainless links I've had for a while. I believe the Wraith uppers and probably from Incision. The uppers I plan to run are 3/16" Stainless and for the front I swapped the link ends for some long M4 ends I had (they're probably Traxxas) I'm unsure.

Now we talk power for this rig. I'll be using a Vanquish VE-1 ESC and a CC BEC I've had forever (if it still works) For batteries, I bought a few Gens Ace Tattu 450 mah 75C 3S Lipos. These things are tiny and fit the battery plate perfectly!

zfpkMtX.jpeg

p0RZkbh.jpeg

I plan to finally get the wheels and body mounted and take pics tomorrow in the sunlight so expect another update soon

I've never built much with AR60s aside from tweaking a Wraith and Bomber. That DLux truss/servo mount always piqued my interest though, seemed like the earliest to nail the BTA servo placement (EDIT: considering they probably didn't have good options to go for a low profile servo back then).

Looks like a fun build (y)

Last edited:
This is a nice looking build.
I know you are still building, but Your front upper drivers side link needs to move. It should mount where the nut for the passenger upper link is, on the DLux truss.

I've never built much with AR60s aside from tweaking a Wraith and Bomber. That DLux truss/servo mount always piqued my interest though, seemed like the earliest to nail the BTA servo placement (EDIT: considering they probably didn't have good options to go for a low profile servo back then).

Looks like a fun build (y)

I'm stoked on these trusses! I loved em when they first came out but wasn't in a position to build with them. The fact that they not only work with what I had laying around, but are also still available for purchase thrills me to no end! Once they're installed, it's easy to appreciate the craftsmanship and the thought that went into making these. Solid product from a solid company!

This is a nice looking build.
I know you are still building, but Your front upper drivers side link needs to move. It should mount where the nut for the passenger upper link is, on the DLux truss.

Good catch! Looking at it, I can definitely see that the front uppers are running at different angles. I'll get it swapped over soon

Got outside and snapped a few pictures

QfL3xHZ.jpeg

rT4Ig6A.jpeg

so1qo5U.jpeg

xlnqjAO.jpeg

The body is an OG Losi Grappler that I've been waiting to use for way too long. I can't remember where I got it from or who painted it but it has airbrushed skulls!:LOL: Still dusty from sitting around, but I threw a couple stickers on for good measure

The wheels are just cheap china beadlocks. I thought the red looked great with the body (also why I chose the ESC) The Sedonas will probably go at some point once I make up my mind and pull the trigger on a new set.

Lastly, The front of the chassis sits at a funny angle. I probably have something in the wrong place. When I rebuilt the shocks, I thought I built them all the same but I guess not...

Now I plan to work on getting the body actually mounted, mounting some electronics, and placing an order for more parts to finish the rear links etc

Them tires are "vintage" on ebay and may fetch a pretty penny. I have a set Im still holding on to. Im loving the soa mount. Could that be setup for bta, bta?

Them tires are "vintage" on ebay and may fetch a pretty penny. I have a set Im still holding on to. Im loving the soa mount. Could that be setup for bta, bta?
I have seen a few builds with this truss that have the tie rod bta. I may experiment someday

I tore the front end apart and am still baffled. Everything from side to side matches perfectly! (Within a fraction of a milimeter). I think that because there's no skid and the chassis is delrin that I'm getting insane chassis flex and that is what's causing my chassis to sit wonky. I'll address the lean once I get the skid finished and installed.

On a positive note. I ordered a set of pin tires to try out. The Sedonas will become shelf queens and sit around a look pretty on my shelf as a constant reminder of what once was

Back