• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Gen 7 pro shock/spring questions

RVA

Hey guys, like so many other folks I just got back into RC recently. Got a gen 7 pro and it seems like the shock are way too stiff. I’ve removed some weight from the truck, so I wonder if that is contributing, I’m sure it doesn’t help. So far I’ve removed all the pro scale accessories aside from the fenders, I removed the battery tray and installed a custom made carbon fiber tray lower in the chassis to help lower CG, removed the electronics mounting plate and replaced with a custom aluminum plate. I rebuilt the stock shocks with 25wt oil and they are nice and smooth, but the springs seem way too hard.
Any recommendations on compatible springs? I’d hate to spend the money on new shocks right now as I’d rather upgrade other things first. What springs fit? Where did you find them? Thought about playing with the pen spring mod if I can’t find decent regular springs. Thanks for any input.

You could try stretching the spring out and compressing a few times maybe I’m not too sure but I do know hot racing makes some good shocks for around $20 a pair and then hobbypark makes a whole set on amazon for around $25. My buddy runs hobbyparks on his scx10 and they’ve done him good for over a year or so now

Gotcha,thanks. I’ve been considering picking up some desert lizards, but figured if someone had a decent set of springs that fit for a few bucks I could spend that money on new foams and a better steering servo.

I’m not sure what your needs are but have you seen where people cut the foams? I had a nice 8 point star shape going on my gen7 foams

you can buy just new springs just mesure what you have and go from there
you could cycle them repetedly real fast like and they will soften up some
theres aways heat but its a fine line between softer and ruined and there hard to get even from 1 shock to the next
your better off buying some cheap aluminum ones redcat isent known for there shock quality

Funk I’ve thought about cutting the foams but I’m scared to ruin them. I think they’ll be fine during the summer months when it’s 90+ degrees so I may want to keep using them. Maybe I’ll cut the spares foam and see how it does. Thanks for the tip.

Get yourself some Pro-line Hyrax 1.9 tires, they had the biggest performance improvement for me.

Add weight to your stock wheels until you can afford to buy some heavy wheels. You can wrap the wheel in solder and also add self stick wheel weights [Harbor Freight]

Hi!

The springs for the Axial Wraith is a direct fit and I think they have like five different rates.

I run the Desert Lizards but they are a pain to adjust (needs to be taken apart) when new stuff is added to the car and the wheight increases. They look cool though...

Cheers!

The Gen7 Pro uses the same junk foams as the Gen8. Some guys had good luck with them after they broke in, but since I live in a cold climate, mine were cement-hard whenever I ran it, so they wouldn't even break in. I ditched them for Crawler Innovation foams and even with the stock tires it was a night and day improvement.

I have used the springs from the Traxxass TRX-4 with great luck. Order several different sets and see what works for your rig. I have found that anything from TRA8041 and softer, down to TRA8043 have worked well. The softest ones TRA8043 are way to soft for all but the lightest rigs. I have also found that switching to 40 weight shock seems to give the best dampening with the stock shock valving.

Back