• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Gearing

ShadS

Hi Guys

I've got a few questions about gearing for my Axial Wraith. I've got a Crawl master 16t and torque-master brxl on order, i'm guessing from what i've heard I will need to change my gearing. Do I get a choice on what type of gearing I use because i've heard that the wrong gearing can cause overheating? If I do have the choice of what gearing I use what is a good recommendation for gearing that leans towards more acceleration and torque compared to top speed.

I've heard that this motor is the equivalent of a 35t motor so what gearing would I need to make the torque and acceleration my priority and is it possible to use gearing that will cause the motor to overheat and burn???

Thanks guys

Hi Guys

I've got a few questions about gearing for my Axial Wraith. I've got a Crawl master 16t and torque-master brxl on order, i'm guessing from what i've heard I will need to change my gearing. Do I get a choice on what type of gearing I use because i've heard that the wrong gearing can cause overheating? If I do have the choice of what gearing I use what is a good recommendation for gearing that leans towards more acceleration and torque compared to top speed.

I've heard that this motor is the equivalent of a 35t motor so what gearing would I need to make the torque and acceleration my priority and is it possible to use gearing that will cause the motor to overheat and burn???

Thanks guys
Make sure to read this thread first.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/346212-choosing-motor-esc-your-wraith-gearing-added.html

I would start out with 5:1 gear ratio and then check to see how the temperature is doing. That would 80/16 or 87/17 in 48p gears
It may take trying a few tries to find the optimal gear ration. It is dependent on how you drive, the kind of terrain, and the weight of the rig.

Last edited:

After reading the information from the links above I think I have a start to understanding gearing for my Wraith

Mine is being purpose built for crawling so I tossed on a 35T motor and used 14/87 pinion/spur gearing

Based on what I've learned so far, I think I'll have a good starting point

I love this place

Not really on topic, but if y'all have anyone who's already asking about presents for the holidays, you can tell them you'd like to be a member here and that $20 gift from them would be perfect for that purpose. My sister asked me last night during our phone conversation what I wanted for Christmas so I told her I enjoy my group of friends here and all year long I'd enjoy club membership and since it was only $20, she said okay. Woo hoo!

If I were going to run the Crawlmaster 16t in a Wraith, I'd probably start with 11/56 on 3s and then go from there. I run the Crawlmaster 16T in a couple of other rigs - a TF2 on 2s and a CR-01 on 3s. I run a ROC 412 3100 kV with 10/56 (32p) in my Wraith, and it works great. Based on my experience with those various setups, I think 2s would be a bit slow for this motor in a Wraith, hence starting with 3s. You might even find it worth trying 4s depending on how much wheel speed you want. Good luck!

Back