• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Scx10usmc

So I'm using holmeshobbies new waterproof brushless esc, paired to their BL pro 3100kv trail master brushless motor. I'm running a 32 pitch, 56tooth spur, with a 12 tooth pinion. The esc, motor are getting really hot within 5 minutes of running. The battery I'm using is a 2250 3s 65C lipo. And even the battery gets kinda warm. Now this is the first time this has happened. I used to run a 88 tooth 48 pitch spur with a 14 tooth pinion and never had this issue. Only that holmeshobbies motor ate 48 pitch gears for lunch. That's why I switched to 32 pitch. There is nothing causing resistance on the motor. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also I don't know if this would cause anything, but I filled my receiver up with dielectric grease to keep from corroding, could that be causing everything to over heat??? Thanks guys!

You're over-geared. You need a 9 tooth pinion with your 56 spur to get the ratio close (6.22:1) to what it was with the 88/14 (6.28:1). Right now you're at 4.00:1 on your spur/pinion ratio.

Last edited:
If it was running cool at 6.28:1, then it was fine. You may be able to gear a little higher (56/10 or 58/10) if you want or need a little more speed, but if you liked the way it was running on 88/14 then I would run the 56/9.

Last edited:
If it was running cool at 6.28:1, then it was fine. You may be able to gear a little higher (56/10 or 58/10) if you want or need a little more speed, but if you liked the way it was running on 88/14 then I would run the 56/9.

Ok another newbie question. How do I figure out the ratio

Spur divided by the pinion. 56 ÷ 9 = 6.2222 or 88 ÷ 14 = 6.2857. That symbol ( ÷ ) probably looks like a plus sign, but it's actually division.

Back