• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Front axle catches while turning

Thatfarmguy25

Just got the 1.9 capra a few weeks ago. I love the way it operates but last night i noticed it was kind of "catching while going really slow and its way worse while turning either way. Just wondering if anyone has either had this happen yet or if anyone has a quick solution before i tear it apart

Just got the 1.9 capra a few weeks ago. I love the way it operates but last night i noticed it was kind of "catching while going really slow and its way worse while turning either way. Just wondering if anyone has either had this happen yet or if anyone has a quick solution before i tear it apart

What kind of surface were you on? Locked diff rigs will stutter like that at full lock on high traction surfaces, I.E., pavement, asphalt, real grippy rock.

I don't have a capra, but i saw a video by john holmes showing the tires oscillating under slight throttle, but only on the ground, not in the air with no resistance. He said the diff needs to be shimmed on them. Maybe try to do that and see if its any better.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I don't have a capra, but i saw a video by john holmes showing the tires oscillating under slight throttle, but only on the ground, not in the air with no resistance. He said the diff needs to be shimmed on them. Maybe try to do that and see if its any better.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Agreed. Shimming should help if it’s bad.

There is also a natural resistance that universal joints experience while turning, go at a steady speed and turn then watch the rig slow down a bit. This is just the nature of a U joint, whether this is whats happening or not I cant say but its worth noting.

I would check this by removing the driveshafts from the transfer case then feeling the front and back individually while turning it by hand. Either keep in mind that the driveshaft typically pulls the pinion away from the ring gear (so pull as you spin) or leave the driveshafts attached to the pinions.

If it feels notchy it needs shimming, if it feels smooth shimming will not help.

Last edited:
Back