• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Fricker08 gets a Ripper

Fricker08

RCC Addict
Subscribed Member
Not sure this is the best place to post this.. but here we are.
As some of you may saw in the recent purchase thread, I made a deal to get an original V1 Ripper that’s never been ran. Before you have a heart attack, I didn’t come out of pocket near what you’d think. That being said, I got it as a slider with all the lights and an oddly colored scheme of things such as the interior, fuel cell and yellow transmission case.
I’m going through this thing and going to “restore” it even though it’s never been ran, it’s been passed around a lot being I am owner 9 that I could find.
So here’s Number 131
black cage with blue panels. It’s getting a set of 1.9 Black Enduros, a black vanquish 3 gear and I’m swapping out the interior for an rtr Bomber interior for now and I painted the inner fenders as well as the fuel cell black. I’ll try my best to keep progress updates as I go.

I already found some wtf stuff.. so just goes to show no matter what the price tag is on a rig.. some people shouldn’t be working on Rc’s.

Attachments

• IMG_2547.jpeg
    IMG_2547.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2556.jpeg
    IMG_2556.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2557.jpeg
    IMG_2557.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2585.jpeg
    IMG_2585.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2580.jpeg
    IMG_2580.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2611.jpeg
    IMG_2611.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 43
Very nice. You could make it a bilstein theme with those colors. Lol

Seeing these rigs years in never having been used is still weird to me. At the same time I'm waiting for the R2 release with a number in mind (not a small one) that I might be willing to drop just to have one to sit on and not run. 🤷‍♂️

Can't wait to see yours come together

The Rippers were on Axial chassis???

Congrats! Are you going to run it?

The blue is great. I even like the 'Merica decals, but the yellow trans? Interesting color choices for sure.

You know I’m not sure why so many people did not run them. Maybe they figured some day it would be worth something big like a limited high profile baseball card or who knows.
Let’s just say I plan on having this together and running by Proline by the Fire and I don’t think you can bring a ripper and not take it on the ripper run.
Jato, did you not know they were on a 10.2 chassis? This was built as a axialfest legal truck or at least that’s how it started.
I also wasn’t sure where to post it, I did a search that wasn’t very fruitful. I guess 1.9 rigs could have been a good spot.
The story on the yellow trans is that it was built for a guy and it had his company logo on it. His color scheme.. you guessed it.. blue and yellow.
I’m changing course slightly, I’m going to go ahead and run a black vp 3 gear, and get blue knuckles for the black axles as well as some blue skarn rings for the black enduro’s. Not sure that I mentioned it but I’ve got new Holmes hobbies BLE esc v1 puller pro 2200kv and shv500v3 for electronics. Also swapping out the 105mm shocks.. smh for some short dravtechs

This is fun. Thanks for posting up a thread Fricker.

I see the dead Swedish National Team. So was the original ripper basically a slider kit complete with an Axial 3 gear? I would be curious to know which parts are original to the kit?

This is fun. Thanks for posting up a thread Fricker.

I see the dead Swedish National Team. So was the original ripper basically a slider kit complete with an Axial 3 gear? I would be curious to know which parts are original to the kit?
Hey smog, no problem at all. I went back n forth about even doing a thread on it but here we are. So the story goes Josh aka Harley was going to build a cage rig for axial fest, and Jim aka ripper machinist said why don’t we mill it. So with the original ripper kit for $1800 which initially started with a $500 deposit you received a multi piece machined cage with machined panels. The hood started as something like a 9lb block of aluminum that now weighs nothing. That and a few other one off milled and machined parts as well as some printed bits. But that was about it. You needed to supply your own scx10.2 chassis rails as well as everything else to finish the truck off. Easy to spend $4,000+ building one of these between anodizing and all the other bits n pieces. Some of these have had thousands of dollars worth of anodizing done and others like mine are pretty stock. It was designed to use a Bomber interior as well as a yeti fuel cell. Now there’s full depth interior’s available as well as some other bits like inner fenders and printed fuel cells etc. bundle all this together with they made something like 170 of them and that’s where the crazy prices come in.
Sorry for the novel smh

So was the original ripper basically a slider kit complete with an Axial 3 gear?
Here's the listing from the original product page of what was included with the original ripper. Price in 2018 was $1899.

What you will receive:

CNC Milled Chassis - Driver Side
CNC Milled Chassis - Passenger Side
CNC Milled Chassis - Front Crossmember/Shock Mount
CNC Milled Chassis - Roof
CNC Milled Chassis - Rear Crossmember/Shock Mount/Spare Tire holder
CNC Milled Driver Side Body Panel
CNC Milled Passenger Side Body Panel
CNC Milled Hood
CNC Milled Grill with Rigid Q-series Light Mounts
Laser Cut Rear Number Plate (2)
Laser Cut Roof Panel
Q-series Lights (Headlights)
5" Rigid Light Bar (For above the windshield, not pictured)
4" Rigid Light Bar (Red LED strip)
Ripper Front Bumper
Rocker Supports
Delrin Rocker Skids
Hood Vents (3d Printed)
Front Radiator (3d Printed)
40mm 12v brushless fan
Battery Box (3d Printed)
ESC Mount (3d Printed)
Sway Bar Set
Stainless Link Kit
Hardware

What you need to complete a roller (not included):

SCX10-2 Chassis rails
SCX10-2 RTR skid plate (or original SCX10 skid plate)
SCX10 Rear chassis crossmember
Axial 3-gear transmission (complete with slipper and spur gear assembly)
Axial Bomber Interior
Axial Yeti Fuel Cell
Axial EXO radiator
Vanquish Products SCX10-2 F9 front axle with servo on axle mount
SCX10-2 knuckles and kingpin bushings
SCX10-2 rear axle of either style (Currie RockJock or F9)
SCX10-2 axle internals (gears, shafts, lockers, hexes, etc)
SCX10 driveshafts (this truck has a wheelbase slightly longer than the standard 12.3in but most SCX10 compatible driveshafts should work without an issue)
5 - Vanquish 1.9 wheels with 475 hubs (or 350 hubs if using the KMC XD Center Cap)
5 - Tires and foams (max tire size of 4.75in, when using the maximum tire size you will experience some rubbing still)
90mm scale style shocks (up to a 4in shock will work but larger bore shocks may have clearance issues with the rear sway bar)
Bearings and hardware

I saw that one pop up for sale. I was pretty surprised to see who the seller was. He is an...interesting person.

I have so many questions about the "milled" commentary, but not pointed at Fricker08. It will be awesome to see you get this back up to speed. 9lb block for a hood.. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have so many questions about the "milled" commentary, but not pointed at Fricker08. It will be awesome to see you get this back up to speed. 9lb block for a hood.. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
He might be confusing the hood with the cage halves bring from a 9lb block, I'm not really sure. But yes, the body panels other than the roof iirc were all milled from blocks of aluminum.

Rippermachinist on Instagram has shown a lot of the machining going on in prep for the ripper v2 or whatever it gets called. At least what he can show without revealing the car.

I don’t know anything about machining, but I’m guessing you’re referring to the possibility that the wrong process was put in the description ?

When I hear milling I think flywheels, cylinder heads, etc. flat surface stuff, not intricate 3d parts.

I could be way off though.

All the info is out there on these.. it started as a literal shit ton of aluminum and yes. The hood started as a 9 pound block as Josh mentions right here

Attachments

• IMG_2652.png
    IMG_2652.png
    1 MB · Views: 22
I don’t know anything about machining, but I’m guessing you’re referring to the possibility that the wrong process was put in the description ?

When I hear milling I think flywheels, cylinder heads, etc. flat surface stuff, not intricate 3d parts.

I could be way off though.
I'm not even sure where to start. We have 15 CNC mills and lathes at our shop and do a considerable amount of high precision work for oil and natural gas industries. Whatever, they can fling chips till the cows come home. I'm sure their metal supplier loves them. I get a cool shop jacket from our titanium dealer from time to time, so I guess there is always an upside.

I'm not even sure where to start. We have 15 CNC mills and lathes at our shop and do a considerable amount of high precision work for oil and natural gas industries. Whatever, they can fling chips till the cows come home. I'm sure their metal supplier loves them. I get a cool shop jacket from our titanium dealer from time to time, so I guess there is always an upside.

Keep in mind the Ripper was built in 2017 and it is fully machined. Stamping the hood and panels would have obviously been cheaper but that was not the point of the truck.

Right on man, yea I only talked to him through messenger but he’s in Ohio now. His page said Vegas and was hoping that was the case for shipping purposes lol

He deleted me on FB years ago after we had a disagreement on a trade so I didnt know where he was located now.

You know I’m not sure why so many people did not run them. Maybe they figured some day it would be worth something big like a limited high profile baseball card or who knows.
Let’s just say I plan on having this together and running by Proline by the Fire and I don’t think you can bring a ripper and not take it on the ripper run.
Jato, did you not know they were on a 10.2 chassis? This was built as a axialfest legal truck or at least that’s how it started.
I also wasn’t sure where to post it, I did a search that wasn’t very fruitful. I guess 1.9 rigs could have been a good spot.
The story on the yellow trans is that it was built for a guy and it had his company logo on it. His color scheme.. you guessed it.. blue and yellow.
I’m changing course slightly, I’m going to go ahead and run a black vp 3 gear, and get blue knuckles for the black axles as well as some blue skarn rings for the black enduro’s. Not sure that I mentioned it but I’ve got new Holmes hobbies BLE esc v1 puller pro 2200kv and shv500v3 for electronics. Also swapping out the 105mm shocks.. smh for some short dravtechs
I honestly forgot the Ripper was on a 10.2 chassis.

Back