• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

fiberglass bikini hardtop

kaneohecrawler

RCC Addict
So a while back I had made a bikine soft top for my custom caged tj. After a while it was to worn out. So I removed it and left just the bare cage. Don't get me wrong I'm very proud of the cage I made and don't wanna hide it under a top, but I'm pretty good with fiber glass so I got an idea. Took a piece of thick glass pre impreganted it and laid it over the top of the cage and let it conform to all the curves this beauty has.. after it dried I peeled it off and trimed around all the edges. It was a little contorted being it was so thin so I put a dab of CA on all 4 corners to make sure it laid flat to the cage. Once it was ready I proceded to lay 10 layers of thin/fine fiberglass impregnating as each layer was applied. Once all that was dry it still had a "cloth" look to it. So gave it a quick sand and painted it with resin to give it a nice smooth finish. As soon as all was fully cured I trimmed all the edges. The top was then removed since I had it glued down. It still had "slight twist in it so I removed the cage wrapped tape around the bars in all 4 corners, and and where the tape was I formed some "hooks" out of chopped fiberglass mixed with resin so that the top would clip into the cage and not have to have any zip ties or anything to hold it on so it has a nice and clean look to it. After all was said and done I wet sanded and gave a simple flat black paint and man does it look nice.

Let me know your thoughts. On to the pics. Thx for looking.

IMG_20111015_063801.jpg

IMG_20111015_063702.jpg

IMG_20111015_063617.jpg

IMG_20111015_064753.jpg

IMG_20111015_064724.jpg

IMG_20111015_064620.jpg

IMG_20111015_064603.jpg

IMG_20111015_064515.jpg

IMG_20111015_064450.jpg

IMG_20111015_063925.jpg

IMG_20111015_063846.jpg

IMG_20111015_063824.jpg

Last edited:
Looks really nice man! It looks like the way you made it it can be easily removed too so...you can still show off that sweet cage work:ror:

wow that looks awesome!!!

Thx bro

Looks really nice man! It looks like the way you made it it can be easily removed too so...you can still show off that sweet cage work:ror:

It is easy to take off it snaps on/off like the battery cover on a tv remote

wow. That is the most realistic looking top I have seen.

Thx man

Looks good, I like

Thx glad you like it. I plan on doing lots more fiber glass in the near future.

Thx everyone for the kind words. Makes the time n effort worth it to see that it meets everyones approval lol

So just got back from afghanistan and while I was there I got some raw carbon fiber from the V-22's as there entire a/c is comprised of it. Anywho came back and made a new bikini hardtop but this time its carbon fiber.

Ill be leaving it unpainted as well.

Enjoy!!

FB_IMG_13395765709336217.jpg

Back