• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Donkey! An ogre’s first crawler build.

Mr.Shrek

So I was able to get my hands on this little fella that we shall from this day forward call Donkey. Much like the noble steed, this one hasn’t received much attention over the past few years and is due for a reboot.

Here is where he sits now that the dust has been blown off.
8e3ca9642df6e4404a4cef40a04c784d.jpg

Of course you must have noticed that there isn’t much left to work with other than the stock weighted front wheels, stock drivetrain, mismatched shocks, bent lower links and tires that resemble eggs more than they do tires.
d66ea329ad1e2d9bd510edb2531acd08.jpg

15945cf28023c6b50de59fe45b3126d5.jpg

095f2f039056a2683f3566842579a2f9.jpg

Now for what I seek from you knowledgeable lads and lassis, is something you all have…your opinion.

To kick this off let’s start with your answers to 2 questions.

1. What would you buy to get this noble steed off the shelf and back on the rocks for starting out?

2. If you were to make this in to a build capable of scaling the walls of Duloc, how would you build it?

I will of course be digging through the plethora of information compiled on the forum already to try and educate myself as well.

Thanks for your advice and I look forward to sharing the build with you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Aah, some life in the MRC thread "thumbsup" . Welcome to the mini rabbit hole :ror:

I'd start with some decent wheels and tires. Shorter shocks to lower
the ride height. Get rid of that electronics tray and stuff the electrics
down in there.

After scrolling through about 20% of the available MRC photo thread, I am leaning towards one of these two styles. Either a a tube chassis like these:
b6865fc31512ebcca061da0a3174a412.jpg

Or one of these VW bug bodies or a truggy body :
beec27cbcd0fa33b66f93c990008b926.jpg

Those bug bodies are awesome. I had a few. Might be discontinued by now. One thing I suggest is going through and greasing the axles and tranny. While you have it open swap the lockers to metal. The old brittle plastic ones are gonna crumble.

MRC bugs. Fun little capable rigs.
6b24a7e0fc33f8ea39d5bc0d4a9631e8.jpg

Last edited:
In the interest of getting one step closer to crawling, here is what I am considering for my servo solution.

This servo mount from Cobra:
2766690bd1ab12e989906463e63c9aa1.jpg

Paired with this servo:
79659d104d05123b4b8bef8cbf699ee7.jpg

Still need to find a better servo horn for it as well as I would prefer not to snap the factory plastic one.

If you know of a comparable or even better upgrade for this, please feel free to share with me.

Back