• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Direct power servo issue

tigris99

Rock Crawler
Ok Google has been of little help, but trying to figure this out.

Direct power servos. First was NSDRC RS800 freaked out and seems to randomly loose power. Not completely but almost like a dead pack. Got a different brand (flash hobby) and same thing.

Spektrum DX5R

2200mah 30C 3s pack. Tried 3 different packs as they get rotated between this rig (orange taco) and my C2 Hilux. Hilux has amazon 45kg servo ran through RX, no issues.

hobbywing fusion pro and spektrum equivalent both same issue

Eliminated the jst and soldered wires directly in to eliminate possible bad connection. XT60 connectors.

Yes end points set correctly and so on.

Just got some 1500mah 120C packs to try

Have a flysky gt5 on hand if I need to go there.

Have same flash hobby servo now in the knightrunner so also see if it's a IFS issue. But orange one the ifs is smooth and free with spacers for geo correction.

Wondering if anyone else has ran accross these issues and what they found. I'd hate for it to be my DX5R but I did read somewhere it can glitch like this.

Only seems to happen when sitting still and tires on a flat surface more or less nothing for them to bind up in.

ALSO, last group outing gave the rs400 winch a go, so drag brake holding rig while winching a 6x6 up a muddy hill. 0 issues.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

I've never seen that happen before. I have many direct servos from NSDRC and 3Bros and have some of the same components that you mentioned and I have never experienced that issue.

You mentioned the DX5R and it might be the problem, which would suck if it was the problem. I would throw in the GT5 to see if the problem is still there.

i have a 9imod direct power servo that acted kindof like that on 3s
was working good than all of the sudden it wasent
i tryed it on 2s and it works fine also works off of the reciver just fine at 6v so its now a shift servo lol

Does the DX5R have a “fast” communication mode kind of like Futaba? Or different steering rate profiles? That can cause a problem with some direct power servos from what I have seen, as the radio is trying to “correct” the position of the servo before the servo has time time to correct from the last command. At least that’s how I understand it, I’m not super knowledgeable about the in depth tech with it. I have seen a Futaba radio do the same when using the T-FHSS super response modes. But usually when that is the case it’s only a glitchy issue and the servo has trouble finding or holding center without jittering. No low or loss of power.

I’m run my Futaba 4PM in normal mode with direct power HH SHV650’s in multiple rigs, they’re dead quiet other than when moving and no glitch or anything.

Otherwise contact NSDRC about warranty. It wouldn’t be unheard of for a servo to have a bad board in it.

Last edited:
I've never seen that happen before. I have many direct servos from NSDRC and 3Bros and have some of the same components that you mentioned and I have never experienced that issue.

You mentioned the DX5R and it might be the problem, which would suck if it was the problem. I would throw in the GT5 to see if the problem is still there.
Thanks B. I thought it odd as well. Haven't had a chance to mess with it again, try to finish a makeover on the Knightrunner atm. Thankfully I put my RX on velcro, they are waterproofed, I so can swap out easy enough. Gonna take gt5 and the new batteries and try both, see what happens.

Does the DX5R have a “fast” communication mode kind of like Futaba? Or different steering rate profiles? That can cause a problem with some direct power servos from what I have seen, as the radio is trying to “correct” the position of the servo before the servo has time time to correct from the last command. At least that’s how I understand it, I’m not super knowledgeable about the in depth tech with it. I have seen a Futaba radio do the same when using the T-FHSS super response modes. But usually when that is the case it’s only a glitchy issue and the servo has trouble finding or holding center without jittering. No low or loss of power.

I’m run my Futaba 4PM in normal mode with direct power HH SHV650’s in multiple rigs, they’re dead quiet other than when moving and no glitch or anything.

Otherwise contact NSDRC about warranty. It wouldn’t be unheard of for a servo to have a bad board in it.
The DX5 doesn't have that I'm aware of. Or at least not anything I've turned on.

I got a warranty set up on yhe servo in question but when I put something else brand new in and does the same thing, it made me step back wonder if it's the servo or something else.

If two different direct-power servos appear to lose power under different circumstances, you have to try to eliminate more variables-- and if you haven't tried it with a different Rx/Tx, I'd reckon that's where I'd look next.

do your servos have 2 sets of wires or dose it use a little addaptor ive herd some systems glitch when using the little addaptors
the fix waz to cut the ground wire as close to the servo as posable and Y it there and run 2 new grounds off the Y

do your servos have 2 sets of wires or dose it use a little addaptor ive herd some systems glitch when using the little addaptors
the fix waz to cut the ground wire as close to the servo as posable and Y it there and run 2 new grounds off the Y

Was just wondering the same thing.

Oh ya, both do.

If two different direct-power servos appear to lose power under different circumstances, you have to try to eliminate more variables-- and if you haven't tried it with a different Rx/Tx, I'd reckon that's where I'd look next.
Ya that and battery is where I'm headed next as soon as I get a chance. The circumstances are the same between both servos and at total random. It's not a total power loss but almost like battery just went dead. Servos respond but with crap for power.

This rig is my first time using direct power servos and before noticing this weirdness I understood what all the fuss was about.

That said, wouldn't be TX. Same tx used accross all 3 rigs, this is the only one with direct power servo atm and only one having any issues.

Reviving this thread.

Though I haven't tried the rig in question with the gt5, I swapped rx so my youngest could drive it at g6 not thinking to test.

That said my knightrunner with a flash hobby direct power servo, same stupid crap on the DX5. Steering was fine on bench test after installing. But when I ran it on the rocks last weekend things were working like crap.

Going to bind my gt5 to the orange taco and see what happens.

Back