• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Dinted Tread on HB Rovers

supermoturd

Quarry Creeper
I'm building my first crawler and noticed that the tread on my newly installed HB Rovers is dinted in several spots on all of the tires. I installed them with the supplied foams. Is this normal? Will it affect performance?

11675631965_f60bb6f776_b.jpg

11676424066_8078be20ae_b.jpg

One of my friend's has the same issue with his Rovers. The stock foams are a little undersize. Except for looking a little odd, they work just fine. Jerry

The stock Rover foams are undersized for the tire, so what your seeing is pretty normal.

Stuff those tires with some Nova's foams and you'll see a significant improvement in traction.

I always thought it was goofy they supply under-sized foams for the rovers. Replace'em. It's amazing how many more ledges you'll be able to get up & over with the added diameter of the tires, when they have proper sized foams inside.8)

My rig is a Gmade R1, with front dig. 3S Lipo mounted on front axle. I'm building it exclusively for crawling on sandstone.

When it's done, if it's over 6lbs go with the 5.5 DD's. Get a mix of soft and medium outers to test with. You may find that soft outers may be too soft , etc.

If under 6lbs go with the 5.25 DD's, with a mix of outer densities. Eddie has good notes on his site about some general setups.

I have crawler innovations in onecsstvof tires and memory foam in another I'm finding I like the memory foams a lot.

So much so I'm Bout go pull the CI foams and put the oversize pro line dual stage memory foams in there place and see how I like them

Last edited:
I have crawler innovations in one set of tires and memory foam in another, I'm finding I like the memory foams a lot.

So much so I'm Bout go pull the CI foams and put the oversize pro line dual stage memory foams in there place and see how I like them

Memory foams tend to not like cool weather and really don't like cold weather. They temperature sensitive.

+1, correctly sized memory foams can be fine for medium/heavy rigs...... WHEN IT'S WARM!! The memory foam can get close to "brick status" when they get cold.

My rig weighs in at 5lb 3oz. Eddie did not have the 5.25 Double Deuces in stock so I went with the 5.5s instead (soft in front, medium in rear.) It took me two hours to install them today! Perhaps there is an easier way to do it, but it took forever to cram the foams into the tires and get them straightened out so that there was no twisting or bunching. The test drive was very disappointing. I think that I made a mistake in going with the 5.5s. There was a remarkable reduction in traction compared to the stock undersized foams that came with the tires (HB Rovers). I'm definitely going to order some 5.25s when they become available.

My rig weighs in at 5lb 3oz. Eddie did not have the 5.25 Double Deuces in stock so I went with the 5.5s instead (soft in front, medium in rear.) It took me two hours to install them today! Perhaps there is an easier way to do it, but it took forever to cram the foams into the tires and get them straightened out so that there was no twisting or bunching. The test drive was very disappointing. I think that I made a mistake in going with the 5.5s. There was a remarkable reduction in traction compared to the stock undersized foams that came with the tires (HB Rovers). I'm definitely going to order some 5.25s when they become available.
Do you have a dremel? If you do, channel the closed cell foam and to make the foams feel softer.

Back