• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Difference in speed front wheels

Omsk

I noticed today that there's a significant difference in the rotational speed between the front left and front right wheel when the car is on a stand (wheels off the ground), with the diff's open, at low speed.
The wheel on the right makes much less rotations then the left one.
I notice no difference with the diff locked.

I checked the right portal, which looks fine. No abnormal resistance.
I replaced BB12x18x4 just to play safe, but this made no difference.

When the car is on a stand, with open diffs, I feel little/no resistanceI when I block the wheel on the right.
When I block the wheel on the left, there is a certain resistance, I feel every revolution the wheel on the right makes.

Any idea what could cause this difference ?
Could it be that the left axle is not fully unlocked - the locker needs some adjustment ?

Edit: I checked my second TRX-4 and it has the same "behavior".

I made a short video:

https://youtu.be/A0UryXqfUuo

Last edited:
lol open diffs
it takes more energy to move one side than the other usualy the short side gets just a hair more torque than the long side also the way the locker works it only locks one side of the housing giving more energy to the side of the diff thats locked

if you ever tryed to do a burn out in a honda or most front wheel cars drive usually one tire will spin and the other tire wont and its allways the same side that spins

Might also be made worse by a bad bearing, or something bent on one side, but as said normally one side would receive more (most) power with an open diff...

lol open diffs
it takes more energy to move one side than the other usualy the short side gets just a hair more torque than the long side also the way the locker works it only locks one side of the housing giving more energy to the side of the diff thats locked

if you ever tryed to do a burn out in a honda or most front wheel cars drive usually one tire will spin and the other tire wont and its allways the same side that spins

Might also be made worse by a bad bearing, or something bent on one side, but as said normally one side would receive more (most) power with an open diff...

Thanks for taking the time to respond !!
I'm a car noob, a driver, not a mechanic, but it's always nice to learn new things.

It's simpler than you could ever imagine: unequal length driveshafts. It literally takes ever so slightly longer for the torque to get to right wheel than it does to the left. The rest is perception.

Any idea what could cause this difference ? Could it be that the left axle is not fully unlocked - the locker needs some adjustment ?

This is typically the norm for open differentials, especially with offset pumpkins. It takes more torque to move the longer axle shaft.

Nothing to worry about. Get back to wheelin' "thumbsup"

This is typically the norm for open differentials, especially with offset pumpkins. It takes more torque to move the longer axle shaft.

Nothing to worry about. Get back to wheelin' "thumbsup"

Will do that, once it stops raining. "thumbsup"

Back