• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Custom paint masks?

redrustbucket

Rock Crawler
Subscribed Member
Here’s a body I recently painted. I hand brushed the design in the bed but ran into issues with bleed through when I backed it with silver. I’m wondering if anyone can point me in a direction to print my own paint masks or if there is someone who can make one? Another option would be paint markers that will work on lexan? Any tips to redo the same design better would be appreciated.

Attachments

• A45EB9CE-04CD-4587-9921-C05391E02BC6.jpg
    A45EB9CE-04CD-4587-9921-C05391E02BC6.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 430
  • 31896340-CCD8-4156-A7C1-BDAB38C12914.jpg
    31896340-CCD8-4156-A7C1-BDAB38C12914.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 418
  • FC2696D5-6A7E-4F28-882C-98DFBDEBA66C.jpg
    FC2696D5-6A7E-4F28-882C-98DFBDEBA66C.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 419
I just watched a SBG video where he used a Cricut vinyl cutter to make paint masks for Lexan bodies. It worked great. Not sure if you are ready to make that kind of investment but it can do a whole bunch of stuff other than masks like stickers, cut cloth, etc.

I'm not saying I convinced my wife to buy a Cricut knowing that she would use it half a dozen times and then forget about it, leaving it for me to use ALL THE TIME, but that is pretty much what happened. I've used it to cut window masks at least ten times, as well as decals, paint masks, drilling templates, you name it. It's really a super versatile tool. For painting bodies from the outside it's invaluable. Scan the included masks, cut 'em on the Cricut and you're good to go. The mask-specific vinyl from Oracal (ORAMASK 813) is fantastic, and a 25 foot roll will last a hobbyist's lifetime.

Sounds like that’s what I need then. I’ll start researching. Thank you. Anything specific I should be Googling to accomplish the above? I’ll start with looking up the SBG vid.

Been thinking about the same thing. Need to watch that video (which I've been meaning to do most of the day...guess right now is as good as any).

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

All I can say now it's, "Geez. Thanks a lot, Matt. You just found another way to delay my purchasing a 3D printer." [emoji1688]

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

I pretty regularly cut paint masks for spraying images and such on my lexan bodies. It works well. I use a Cameo Silhouette 4.

I used it here on my Phoenix
smog-71996-albums4661-69448.jpg

Last edited:
Its the best clip he put out for months....have to find now a cricut dealer in Europe.
1) I'll be ordering one with my next paycheck. The Prusa 3D printer can (definitely) wait).
2) Give this link a try. It's too their UK online store:

https://cricut.com/en-gb/

In addition to their UK store, they also have Ireland, Italy, France, Spain, Germany, and the Netherlands.

Is the Silhouette the better option if I’m using a Mac?

I've got an older Cricut Explore Air, and have zero issues using it with my Mini. BT always pairs up quickly, and the software, though not entirely intuitive, works well enough-- and is free. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of them, they're all just different flavors of the same thing.

Do what I did when I took the Cricut home-- go for the best deal. Though at least where I am, the product support/materials availability at places like Joann seem to favor the Cricut as well.

Looks like I can't go wrong either way. Thank you for all the feedback. I need to order one up. Keep buying parts instead though... :mrgreen: Couldn't pass up a set of Base Camp axles today!

I pretty regularly cut paint masks for spraying images and such on my lexan bodies. It works well. I use a Cameo Silhouette 4

I've been thinking about getting the Cameo Silhouette 4 over the Cricut. The Cameo seems to have better reviews and features.

This thread right here is a perfect example of why I won't leave this forum.

I hear ya! Same here! It's nearly impossible to find good info like this elsewhere!

I've been thinking about getting the Cameo Silhouette 4 over the Cricut. The Cameo seems to have better reviews and features.

I hear ya! Same here! It's nearly impossible to find good info like this elsewhere!

Interesting tidbit……

Cricut's Design Space is great for PCs while Silhouette Studio has a better reputation for iOS.

Not sure if this is a maker or breaker!

Hang up and Drive

I can't speak for others...but...since I *live* in "a Windows & Android world", the Cricut seems the better/smarter way (at least for me) to go.

e!

I have no experience with Cricut. I bought a Sikhouette based on discussions with members here on the forum. Set it up as per the manual, downloaded the required software and watched a few YouTube videos to get a handle on said software. It's a simple machine, not much to it to be honost. I just use it to cut vinyl images and shapes. The learning curve is pretty steep if you have any level of patience

Interesting tidbit……

Cricut's Design Space is great for PCs while Silhouette Studio has a better reputation for iOS.

Not sure if this is a maker or breaker!

Hang up and Drive

That's good to know!"thumbsup" And I should mention that I know "zero" about any of these vinyl cutting machines.:ror:

Last year when I was debating on getting the Cricut, I read somewhere that the ability to use the free software or designs was going away and was going to be by subscription only. Not sure how true that was.

I'll have to re-research these machines and see which one works best for me!"thumbsup"

I can't speak for others...but...since I *live* in "a Windows & Android world", the Cricut seems the better/smarter way (at least for me) to go.

Also good to know!"thumbsup" I have all Windows based computers.

I have no experience with Cricut. I bought a Sikhouette based on discussions with members here on the forum. Set it up as per the manual, downloaded the required software and watched a few YouTube videos to get a handle on said software. It's a simple machine, not much to it to be honost. I just use it to cut vinyl images and shapes. The learning curve is pretty steep if you have any level of patience

I like easy and simple!:) I appreciate your input!

Back