• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Crawling Newbie to start off

Blubber

Hi Guys,

possibly i fell in love by starting off crawling a bit. In principal i am no newbie in radio controlled cars, but so far i was just running my 1/8 truggies & 1/10 scales buggies and have a pretty well equiped garage for my hobby. Enlarging my hobby even now there is next project called Crawling.

Having had loads of research and got in touch with some theoretic stuff i now got in the phase of physic hands on. Found out that possibly for me rock crawling is the candidate number 1.

Getting over the first hurdle i was to get a crawler basing on a VIPER chassis with Bully 2.2 axles with titanium links and dampers. The motors are there already as well as a Savöx SG 1283. Only thing missing so is the ESC & radio/receiver of course. The unit is used but almost brand new - has no scratches on it (yet) and maybe it was good deal anyway.

Just as the section of newbies is pretty much highlighted i just posted here, but possibly i can get some help by you guys or links to appropriate threads / posts or even direct answers to some ones i have. Maybe i can save a lot of searching and browsing through the forum hrs & hrs. Hoping you not gonna kill me for this sentence :)

Following general questions i have after having the crawler completely disassembled, which came to my mind, when i actually assembled it again, but somehow i could not find the appropriate answers yet. So trying to look for my luck here so.

Dampers & Dampers length:
i want to have a pretty good articulation & torsion angle of the axles. Surely the length of the dampers or the spring deflection / travel seems to be quite important. Dampers are also more senstive if they are mounted very angular. Now exactly here i think my dampers at 103mm are definitely to short or have a short travel. The front axle has a articulation of i would say 15-20 degrees only one one side. I se that the maximimum spring travel on the other side of the axle of course does no more move because it is already in full expanded length. When detaching the dampers of course the articulation is damn high because there's no damper.

Question:
are there any generic rules how to calculate optimum damper length? If you already are trusted with the viper chassis: what are your recommendations? Which dampers specifically can you recommend.

ESC's
since this is a MOA with two motors i will need to manage these ones in one go. I have a 4ch radio & receiver with the required possibilities

Now do i need 2 ESC or is there an ESC out there, which can handle 2 brushed motors but still having a good BEC to provide enough power for the Servo? I have a local dealer whoo has the NOVAK M2 Dig, which seems to be quite good and has a 6V 5AMPS BEC. Any objections or maybe better products in mind? I would like to get this as it has the DIG already in, it just needs the settings on the radio / receiver. In case 2 ESC's are the better choice: can i simply attach the power connectors from the LIPO basttery in parallel?

Batteries:
i want to have some longer runs not just some minutes. For sure the space is limited, but i have in mind that also some nice LIPO's made for 1/16 scale traxxas etc are quite small and fit into it or on the axle even. Also here: what are your experiences or recommendations?

Thanks buddies for helping me out and having read that much text, just for me as newbie in terms of crawlers.

Chees

Last edited:
Back