• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Couple more questions regarding connectors

high plains drifter

RCC Addict
Subscribed Member
First question regarding bullet connectors-

How much difference is there between a 3.5 mm and 4 mm bullet connector? This is for a trx4 tow rig ( HH Trailmaster Sport 27t/ HW 1080 ESC). I have the Protek 3.5 super gold connectors on hand already and I'd prefer using them but if the consensus is that a 4 mm super gold Protek connector will be safer/ better then I'll just go ahead and order those.

Second question regarding soldering together XT60 connectors-

I'm making an XT60 connector with dual JST connectors to run a fan and a direct power servo. Should I solder the XT connectors to one another directly or should I solder in two short lengths of [14/ 16 awg] wire between them?

This is one that I made already ( single JST) and I soldered a + and - wire between the two XT60 connectors but it's longer than ideal. I'd like to make another that is shorter but that would require me to solder the XT60's directly together. Just want to make sure that soldering them together directly with no wire will be sufficient.

Thanks in advance for any input/ advice.

Soldering them as close as possible is pretty much how most of them come when you buy them yourself. As long as soldering connections are on point, you can use either size bullets. Definitely do the size you need so you don't have to adapt.

Soldering them as close as possible is pretty much how most of them come when you buy them yourself. As long as soldering connections are on point, you can use either size bullets. Definitely do the size you need so you don't have to adapt.

I feel like my solder joints are pretty solid. Been soldering for many years and always tin, flux, clean, etc to establish strong connections.

But again... as for the XT connectors, can I just solder them together without ( jumper) wires in between them?

And with the bullet connectors that will connect the motor and esc... I feel like because this will be a tow rig that maybe bigger ( 4 mm) might be worthwhile since this rig will be pulling a lot of weight and straining the motor. I've used the 3.5 mm connectors on other rigs with no issues. Was just wondering if using a 4 mm would offer a substantial increase in efficiency or protection of the motor or esc.

I feel like my solder joints are pretty solid. Been soldering for many years and always tin, flux, clean, etc to establish strong connections.

But again... as for the XT connectors, can I just solder them together without ( jumper) wires in between them?

And with the bullet connectors that will connect the motor and esc... I feel like because this will be a tow rig that maybe bigger ( 4 mm) might be worthwhile since this rig will be pulling a lot of weight and straining the motor. I've used the 3.5 mm connectors on other rigs with no issues. Was just wondering if using a 4 mm would offer a substantial increase in efficiency or protection of the motor or esc.

I was thinking bullets for the battery for some reason. But yes I would do 4mm's for the motor ESC connection.

XT connectors; soldering them directly to each other is a go.

Thanks much, Goro Majima... really appreciate the help and apologies... I'm not the best at always articulating my questions clearly. Thanks again.

I might have misunderstood the requirement on this, but I don't worry about the adapters - I just solder the additional lead to the ESC plug - so as long as there's a battery plugged in, the JST plug is powered. If I don't need the additional power, it just gets zip tied to the main power cable. Means you have to have a plug for every ESC, but they're cheap if you get 10 or 20 at a time.

ESC-Additional-Plug.jpg

Yeah like the previous poster says, no need for an adapter, just solder the jst leads on the esc plug. Every connection is a failure point that adds resistance. I personally even solder my secondary power leads directly to the esc, no jst connector.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Yeah... I understand that adding connectors can increase resistance/ potential failure but I guess in regards to swapping things out down the road or wanting/ needing to pull something out of the rig for whatever reason... like the fan, servo, motor, etc... connectors make things easier. Same reason that I like having bullet connectors for my motors.. I may want to swap motors from time to time and this makes it quicker/ easier. I do get why directly soldering is better though in some regards.

Back