• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Clicking in rear axle

Drazz43

As the title says I'm getting clicking in the rear axle. It only seems to under some stress. Checked the portal gear and are installed correctly and also pinion/ring gear looks like there's no wear. Any ideas? I'm running the Axe 540 2800 combo. Thanks in advance!

Just a guess here but you may need to shim the pinion. It may not be getting a good mesh and just needs a shim or two in order to mesh correctly. Is it more noticeable going either forwards or backwards? I got a gladiator that had to have front pinion mesh corrected with a couple shims. It was off far enough that it almost locked up the front wheel when driving. After a couple shims its smooth as can be now.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

It's more noticeable going forward, 100% throttle from take off or when I'm under stress from climbing. If I try holding one tire and spin the other by hand u can hear and feel the click..Where did u add the shims? Between the outter pinion and rear driveshaft?

Ok yeah sounds like the pinion has too much slop in it. You can add between the drive shaft and the diff case if the torque is pushing the pinion into the ring gear. If it's pulling the pinion away from the ring gear you wow need to put a shim on the inside of the diff between the pinion and inner bearing. I had to put mine on the outside of the diff for the front. Try a small shim on the outside first its the easiest take 5 seconds if it fixes it great if it makes it worse or doesn't fix it probably need to shim the inside. Hope this helps. I've only had to shim 2 of my axial one scx10ii and my gladiator my jlu was fine from the factory.

So having the same issue shimming either side.. I figured out its actually the portal gear on one side in the rear. If I take all the screws out of the portal and try turning the tire its solid. Once I tighten up the 4 screws it clicks again. Tried shimming the gears in there but same issue. I do have some wear on the top of the cover and a little of the bearing is showing, bottom screw hole is spit from over tightening. Not sure where to go from here.

If it's a new gladiator I would see about contacting customer support at horizon and see what they can do for you. I would also check the axle shaft to see if it's bent. That might have been causing the rubbing. Sounds like too me it was put together wrong or had a defective part that was out of tolerance. Probably will need new axle shaft and new housing.

Back