• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Choosing a platform for my first RECON G6

It makes complete sense that you'd want a platform for which you can get parts locally.

Have you considered an SCX10 Pro like @Col_Sanders mentioned? That would keep you in the Axial product line and I'd assume you could get parts, but it would be more of a performance-based chassis. There is also the SCX10 III Base Camp kit that you could build how you'd like.

The Pro looks great and works great, too, indeed. Between that and the III Builder's Kit I think the kit would be better as we're talking 230 vs 400 bucks, almost twice as much. I have my 2 comp rigs (GSpeed etc.) for my ultra-light cheater class 2 comp rigs "fix", as well, in terms of very performant chassis choices.

This would be the first kit I bought, new, as I always had used RCs that I tore completely apart and rebuilt, too, so I am not scared about the kit version, I am actually excited about building it from the ground up.

đź’ˇ We are onto body choices:

I like the Proline Jeep ones but I'm also liking Axial's version, with the separate fenders, handles, details etc. - although I could still get them fit on the Proline body.

I'll be thinking about it, so far the baseline would be:

- Axial Base Camp Builder's Kit SCX10.3 (straight axles)
- Hobbywing Fusion Pro 2300 kv
- Beadlocks and tires from my current stash
- Stock Spectrum servo from my spare stash

Eventually:
- Some wheel weights and brass front covers and hubs
- a Dig servo
- A stronger steering servo
- Lights
- Scale items shenanigans
- Winch

Body and details to be considered...

I'd like to go for a Wrangler 2012 grey and black feel, spare tire in the back with trash bag, roof rack with scale items, etc.

My wife bodies like a Toyota, or a Cherokee or an Overland setup of some sort, more than a Jeep, as far as I've heard.

Getting a design she likes is a bonus that gets me to buy more stuff under the radar. It's a proven fact.

Last edited:
Quick update for everyone (and again - thanks in advance for any thoughts on this):

Despite falling in love with all sorts of SCX10 II Deadbolts, SCX10 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, AX10 Deadbolts and more...

I am confident it's going to be the SCX10 III Kit with straight AR45 axles.

I have watched a ton of videos of Wranglers and Gladiators and that long-wheel-base Gladiator seems to be outperforming (stock vs stock) any Wrangler. This means nothing as I know one can tweak things to oblivion, but it was insane to see how the Gladiator works its way out of the rock crawling you can have on trails.

A straight-axle Gladiator would, one day, look awesome. For those of you who tried it, how effective is it? Looks-wise it's awesome, but I am looking at performance more than looks, within the context of that platform.

If I get a 313 standard chassis, I guess I could eventually replace the rear links and get a Gladiator body on it, and call it a Gladiator with straight axles (since I am starting from the Builder's Kit). I am not sure if all it takes to move the Wrangler to the Gladiator, with the kit underneath, is prolonging the rear links and driveshaft. It seems like it but... not sure!

Thanks as usual, it's such a close call, I love the Wrangler look and vibe but the Gladiator is so badass both looks-wise and performance-wise, that making a straight-axle one, one day, would be quite quite nice!

IMO I wouldn’t worry too much about the g6 being a comp and trying to build it towards that. I’ve been to many over the last 10+ years.

I’d build a rig that has lights for the night stage, scale stuff for the show n shine and better electronics for the longevity. I say this lightly as I’ve had a fully built rig FREAK out right at the start and bought a bone stock brand new scx10 honcho someone was selling and did the whole g6 with it.

Long run times are nice, a fusion se is great. Just ran the g6 in April with 1 1/4 batteries. 4500mah 3s.

The 10.3 base camp is a good platform. Has a bed for the scale stuffs and with some better wheels/ tires it’s surprising.

My wife has a gladiator and while it did just fine, it’s always hung up on the rear bumper or high centered lol.

Whatever you do, just have fun there! Parker is a great dude!

IMO I wouldn’t worry too much about the g6 being a comp and trying to build it towards that. I’ve been to many over the last 10+ years.

I’d build a rig that has lights for the night stage, scale stuff for the show n shine and better electronics for the longevity. I say this lightly as I’ve had a fully built rig FREAK out right at the start and bought a bone stock brand new scx10 honcho someone was selling and did the whole g6 with it.

Long run times are nice, a fusion se is great. Just ran the g6 in April with 1 1/4 batteries. 4500mah 3s.

The 10.3 base camp is a good platform. Has a bed for the scale stuffs and with some better wheels/ tires it’s surprising.

My wife has a gladiator and while it did just fine, it’s always hung up on the rear bumper or high centered lol.

Whatever you do, just have fun there! Parker is a great dude!

I agree. Thanks for reinforcing this. That's the spirit and the angle, in the end, given the same tuning skills, most rigs will perform satisfyingly, so the variables are much more diverse and exciting, than just mere 'tournament effectiveness' (whatever that means).

I decided to go with an Axial Gladiator for many reasons: 1) I got a great deal, 2) I loved that rig from the moment it came out, and 3) it contrasts nicely against my TRX-4 Sport and UMG10, in terms of 'scale crawling class' garage.

I am still in the process of tweaking it, progress will be available in this thread:

Back