• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Choosing a platform for my first RECON G6

Reezo

Pebble Pounder
Hello everyone,

I have read all I could so far and I realize my question has kind-of been answered in various threads and posts, indirectly, however the thread/post dates made me think that there might be a shift of opinions now that even the latest SCX10 III platform has been out for a while.

A couple days ago my nephew told me she would like to go to a RECON G6 in September and my wife's sister trusts me with going with her and taking care of all the details. She's a good driver but they don't have any RC (yet?) so all she's driving is my cars, when they visit.

I do have an UMG10 that I can use for the RECON G6, so far it seems compatible with the rules, but this would be my first event, and it's like going straight to the main venue without taking a pre-nap session. Which is fine, ultimately it's about the fun.

But... I have to come up with a second Axial platform.

I mainly have two questions, split in phases.

Phase 1 will be finding a platform, a baseline to work with. I have read all I could about the differences in v1, v2 and v3 of the SCX10 but I still cannot make up my mind. There are great Axial platforms for sale here in Germany and I would like to buy used to help someone else who might need the money for another project.

I understand that, with some work, I can fit basically any body on the platform. I know my nephew and I like the Honcho, the Wrangler and maybe some kind of Cherokee (half-cab or not), in terms of bodies. But first, it's important to choose a good platform. What would you recommend and why? Is an old Honcho (I can find them quite cheap) not as good as an SCX10 II? Should I hit straight for the SCX10 III Builder's Kit just because it's a more up-to-date platform?

Phase 2 is deciding on the setup. I run AM32 and outrunners in my comp crawlers and Castle Creations combos on all the other rigs (especially the fast ones) but, for an endurance event, less might be more. Would you still go brushless, given the benefits? Or maybe stock electronics? Or maybe a 1080 with a Tekin Pro 35T?

All my trucks run on 4S, so the idea was to go Mamba Micro X2 and then a 4S capable motor, but in the meantime I thinking that 'some kind of motor', maybe a 35T or even a 45T, with future-proof possibilities for a brushless could do. I can find TrailMasters and TorqueMasters around here, used for 10 to 40 bucks and the 1080 are not that expensive. I don't know if I am seeing this wrong but it looked like a lot of RECON G6 trucks had brushed systems on 3S. Again, I am not sure it's just my perception being skewed somehow, so I am asking.

I know I'll be running a BEC and I probably an AGFRC servo, I have been having good times with them on my fast and demanding rigs, I think it could be OK for this kind of even, too.

But last but not least, although marginal, I'd be curious about shocks: what kind of Axial shock is considered the best? I have zero experience with Axial shocks, funny to say that but it's true.

Thanks as usual for the most amazing help an RC Crawler enthusiast can ever get. I keep learning so much!

Last edited:
G6s are very fun. I would love to do another one.

The original SCX10 would be my last choice to start a build from. It is outdated and so many of the parts on them were poor quality like plastic links, plastic transmission gears, etc. It takes a lot of upgrades to make it durable and many of those upgrades are getting harder to find since the platform has been discontinued for a while. The SCX10 II was a decent platform but the only one available now is the Deadbolt, which uses a bunch of cheap plastic parts too. Since you already want to change bodies, I'd probably chose the SCX10 III Base Camp kit if I was going to stick with Axial.

I'd go brushless...You might be seeing a lot of brushed setups in pics because the height of G6 popularity was years ago before we had all these choices in brushless setups. For a trail truck, ESC/motor setup I really like the Hobbywing Fusion Pro 2300kv. It is only 3s rated, but so is the 1080 you mentioned.

Axial shocks of the past were mostly junk. Not really sure if the 10 III changed that. My Pro shocks still leaked only not as bad as the older versions.

I dont think there is any brand requirement on his events so you probably dont need to limit yourself to Axial unless you just want to.

G6s are very fun. I would love to do another one.

The original SCX10 would be my last choice to start a build from. It is outdated and so many of the parts on them were poor quality like plastic links, plastic transmission gears, etc. It takes a lot of upgrades to make it durable and many of those upgrades are getting harder to find since the platform has been discontinued for a while. The SCX10 II was a decent platform but the only one available now is the Deadbolt, which uses a bunch of cheap plastic parts too. Since you already want to change bodies, I'd probably chose the SCX10 III Base Camp kit if I was going to stick with Axial.

I'd go brushless...You might be seeing a lot of brushed setups in pics because the height of G6 popularity was years ago before we had all these choices in brushless setups. For a trail truck, ESC/motor setup I really like the Hobbywing Fusion Pro 2300kv. It is only 3s rated, but so is the 1080 you mentioned.

Axial shocks of the past were mostly junk. Not really sure if the 10 III changed that. My Pro shocks still leaked only not as bad as the older versions.

I dont think there is any brand requirement on his events so you probably dont need to limit yourself to Axial unless you just want to.

Thank you Col_Sanders! First off, I probably landed on a specific "Axial RECON G6" rulesheet (King of Hammers probably) because it stated that the brand had to be Axial and be Axial for the majority of the parts (subject to scrutiny).

I went ahead and took a look at different past events and did not find this limitation. This would mean I am good to go as I have a TRX4 Sport and a UMG10 that are going to fall 95% into the requirements (maybe a change of tires, molded interior with drivers for the TRX4 and I am done).

Dang, I was almost feeling it like an excuse to build a new truck.

Not to shift the topic to something else (as I think the following will be still pertinent): I agree with the safety of going SCX10 III for longevity and long-term support. Gen2 might be OK as well but I already have the UMG10 and for the fun of it I would like to keep things a bit different.

I have seen tons of videos on the SCX10 II vs III and - most of the time - the III was underwhelming, but it had literally zero tuning from stock. The IIs in the video had had some kind, any kind, of setup tuning to that point. I am not saying that stock and out of the box the III is -not- underwhelming, but... without tuning what are you even doing in this hobby ;) ?

Battery on the side, higher stance, things like that, I think they can be addressed on the SCX10 III, while still staying up-to-date.

I had this temptation for good old SCX10 I but I see your point and you are reinforcing my doubts. Thanks and by all means, if you have anything else just add to this, I am devouring tons of info, as we speak :)

Personally I'd take a 10.2 over the 10.3 but Col-Sanders has a good point about the Deadbolt being really basic. Though it would fill your desire to build as it could use some upgrades for sure.

The 10.3 base camp kit comes with straight axles which is nice. I'm really not a fan of portals for a scale rig so the base camp would be my preferance for a 10.3.

Personally I'd take a 10.2 over the 10.3 but Col-Sanders has a good point about the Deadbolt being really basic. Though it would fill your desire to build as it could use some upgrades for sure.

The 10.3 base camp kit comes with straight axles which is nice. I'm really not a fan of portals for a scale rig so the base camp would be my preferance for a 10.3.

Thanks Humboldt, great info, thank you for taking the time to elaborate.

I have a 10.2 already in the UMG10 so, for some weird taste of mine, it would be maybe cool to have a different platform. I know the benefits of having two identical ones, especially if we both venture in an endurance-type of event, but for my collection's sake it's cool to have slightly different platforms as I'm sure they all have some advantages or disadvantages. It makes it cooler for me to feel them slightly different, apart from the body.

On the topic of portals, I would like straight axles, instead, like you said. Just my personal preference, I do have portals on the Capra and TRX-4 and they work, but for this build I'd rather have straight axles. Good to know the kit doesn't have portals.

đź’ˇ I've found a Basecamp Builders Kit "used" for 220 euros, mint unopened new, which would be one cool possibility. But for 249 new... It's not that good of a deal, I could go new.

đź’ˇ Another possibility, an old Honcho for 150, 50-minute drive from here, but this is kind of worrying me a bit for age sake.

đź’ˇ Another possibility, a Deadbolt SCX10 III new from the store, for 349 in "beautiful ugly beige". Now, I gotta be honest and I know a lot of people here have experienced that: the deadbolt look was totally not up my alley and yet it grew on me so much in the past weeks. I have no idea why, it just did. Problem is, it will have portals, right? which is an "issue"...

I do have spare wheels, spare tires, weights, servos, I know how to make my own links, I've reworked differentials, done overdrive/underdrive, transmissions etc. (I was thinking to add a dig to this but we'll see), I've painted Lexan, done custom aluminum panels, etc.), built custom sway bars, etc. so I'm not scared of the mods a base version will require.

I could buy a spare body of any kind, and call that a honcho, a Wrangler, a whatever. That's why, as you noticed, I'm focusing on the baseline platform more than the rest.

The more I keep thinking, the more it seems like:

I would go for an SCX10.II if I didn't have one already, so for thr SCX10.III seems right.

The issue with the RTR is mostly portals. I could live with the rest.

đź’ˇ Last second (update) possibility: I've found a stock Gladiator, used in great conditions, for 300 bucks. Apart from the longer wheelbase (which I could modify with a different body) this does have portals...but 300 bucks for all of it seems a good deal. It has dig already... And ultimately, I'm asking: it is indeed a SCX10.3 base without unique modifications, right?

Thanks again to brainstorm!

Last edited:
Won the 3 hour Enduro here in PA a few years ago with an overbuilt and underpowered SCX10II. 2S power w/ $20 Holmes Crawlmaster, geared just faster than I could walk. Stock trans and driveshafts with some built up SSD axles. Didn't need anything else, and kept driving by others who broke something along the way. (Or fainted, it was around 120 degrees in the rocks, 101 in the shade)

Other than that, it's run what you brung for the G6 part. I took 6 trucks last time (3 Axial, 2 TRX and 1 Tamiya) and rotated out all weekend.

No matter what you bring G6's are a ton of fun, well worth the trip!

As far as the III and the II, I still think the II was/is the better truck, but both just need a few tweaks out of the box. I'd go with a III since you already have the UMG (the best II version imo) and there's a lot of setup options for the III chassis. Not to mention parts are slowly drying up for the II.

Won the 3 hour Enduro here in PA a few years ago with an overbuilt and underpowered SCX10II. 2S power w/ $20 Holmes Crawlmaster, geared just faster than I could walk. Stock trans and driveshafts with some built up SSD axles. Didn't need anything else, and kept driving by others who broke something along the way. (Or fainted, it was around 120 degrees in the rocks, 101 in the shade)

Other than that, it's run what you brung for the G6 part. I took 6 trucks last time (3 Axial, 2 TRX and 1 Tamiya) and rotated out all weekend.

No matter what you bring G6's are a ton of fun, well worth the trip!

As far as the III and the II, I still think the II was/is the better truck, but both just need a few tweaks out of the box. I'd go with a III since you already have the UMG (the best II version imo) and there's a lot of setup options for the III chassis. Not to mention parts are slowly drying up for the II.

Thanks, OSRC and congrats (enduring that, plus 120F had to be insane :)). Excellent point about reinstating what I believe in, that is: it is not about the most expensive and fanciest boutique rig, when it comes to 'performance' (let's not say 'winning', but it could be said, as well).

Even if the II feels to me, in my limited experience, still the best platform (and you concur), for variety's sake I'd go for something different but not totally different, so a III would be just good to enjoy the more up-to-date market.

I am still thinking about that Gladiator for 300 bucks, lots of spare parts, already upgraded, 2 pair of wheels and tires, dig is already available, I think I could work with it and maybe who knows, not even change anything out of it and sport a Gladiator for the G6 while my nephew rocks the Unimog. I was not able to figure out the rules yet, if it's going to be 100% Axial-oriented or not, but regardless, I am OK building it on an SCX platform so it doesn't matter.

I just checked the official Recon G6 Facebook page and did not see any events scheduled for September. Maybe it is not an official one? Or maybe he just doesnt keep the page fully updated. Is it an Enduro or just the traditional trail style event?

I just checked the official Recon G6 Facebook page and did not see any events scheduled for September. Maybe it is not an official one? Or maybe he just doesnt keep the page fully updated. Is it an Enduro or just the traditional trail style event?

They are planning it in Italy, Maggiora (NO), week 2 in September. It would be an occasion for us to visit Italy again, in September when hopefully less tourists are around (can one hope).

I dont think they ever made a SCX10.3 Deadbolt, maybe that was a typo. That body is really simple but nice.

I dont think they ever made a SCX10.3 Deadbolt, maybe that was a typo. That body is really simple but nice.

Oh you are right, I just double-checked AFTER having - I am sure - double-checked before that, so quadruple-checked
:LOL: and there is indeed no "Deadbolt" in the SCX10.3 RTR catalog. I totally misread it as it was probably SCX10.2 Deadbolt and I somehow thought it was a III and carried over on this mistake.

That body style, with the open roof and the lightbar, is the one I was saying that grew on me.

The more I keep looking at the Rubicon Wrangler/Gladiator etc. types, the more they also grow on me, I think I caught some kind of disease :p

Anyway, that doesn't matter much because I am still focusing on the body and I don't want portals. I am still positive a SCX10.3 kit will be the way to go.

I found an SCX10.3 built from a kit, with a blue Wrangler body, sold with a 5 mAh 3S lipo and a nice SANWA receiver/transmitter, for 249. It uses a stock Traxxas ESC/Titan combo (which I don't mind anyway, even if I'll upgrade later on) and that could be also a good deal to get the platform and some extras.

I'd agree the SCX10 II is better than the SCX10 III. The SCX10 III is more scale, but the performance goes to the SCX10 II.

Why are you set on Axial for your second build?

they couldent find a worse esc if they tryed if and this is a big if it still has all its magic smoke and actually works it will never work right for a crawler
no big deal even a $12 china special eill be leaps and bounds better than the stock traxxass esc

they couldent find a worse esc if they tryed if and this is a big if it still has all its magic smoke and actually works it will never work right for a crawler
no big deal even a $12 china special eill be leaps and bounds better than the stock traxxass esc

There are much better options, but I have occasionally held to the originals, found in some 2nd-hand purchases I have made, as plan-Z spares and they saved me from being unable to run anything for a meet-up. But mostly, I do resell them and, don't ask how or why, I get to sell them for quite a good amount around here, I don't ask, I am happy they find uses for them. Other than that, yes, I do upgrade away from them.

I'd agree the SCX10 II is better than the SCX10 III. The SCX10 III is more scale, but the performance goes to the SCX10 II.

Why are you set on Axial for your second build?

Agreed. I started out set on Axial because the messages going around in the group pointed at some Recon events (to be used ad interim as a baseline guide, before the specific event rule set is published). And that one (being Axialfest, I assume) specifically said, quote:
"Axial Vehicles or custom vehicles with Axial transmissions, Axial axles, Axial chassis or a significant amount of Axial products only.
-Your Axial based scale vehicle must be 1/10 car / truck with a scale chassis or custom tube scale chassis."

That's what got me in that direction, on top of the fact that I would not mind using the SCX10 as a base platform for the new truck, itself.

I am thinking maybe it will not be limited to Axial, which would lead me to modify the thread title, if I can, to open to others. I definitely don't want to build on the SCX10.2, as I said, because even if I love it, I already have one and I'd rather have something different.

I don't have any Element, Redcat or Vanquish, maybe I should look into those? As usual, any recommendation is highly appreciated,

Agreed. I started out set on Axial because the messages going around in the group pointed at some Recon events (to be used ad interim as a baseline guide, before the specific event rule set is published). And that one (being Axialfest, I assume) specifically said, quote:
"Axial Vehicles or custom vehicles with Axial transmissions, Axial axles, Axial chassis or a significant amount of Axial products only.
-Your Axial based scale vehicle must be 1/10 car / truck with a scale chassis or custom tube scale chassis."

That's what got me in that direction, on top of the fact that I would not mind using the SCX10 as a base platform for the new truck, itself.

I am thinking maybe it will not be limited to Axial, which would lead me to modify the thread title, if I can, to open to others. I definitely don't want to build on the SCX10.2, as I said, because even if I love it, I already have one and I'd rather have something different.

I don't have any Element, Redcat or Vanquish, maybe I should look into those? As usual, any recommendation is highly appreciated,
I don't have any Elements or Redcats. Element is such a basic and boring layout with a center-mounted transmission like the OG SCX10 that I never bothered. I think they have a sort-of forward motor conversion kit now, but not enough for me to have much interest. Redcat is, well, Redcat and they always seem to have their design shortcomings and quality issues and inconsistencies.

If I was choosing, I'd go with a VRD Carbon or VRD Straight Axle Builders Kit.

Did you consider a 2.2 Axial?

I don't have any Elements or Redcats. Element is such a basic and boring layout with a center-mounted transmission like the OG SCX10 that I never bothered. I think they have a sort-of forward motor conversion kit now, but not enough for me to have much interest. Redcat is, well, Redcat and they always seem to have their design shortcomings and quality issues and inconsistencies.

Did you consider a 2.2 Axial?

Good call, I am not an expert but I got the same feeling from Element and Redcat. Nothing to say against people who love them and built amazing platforms out of them, obviously, to each their own but, in my specific case until now, I had no interest in building using their platforms.

Moving onto the Vanquish catalog... I foresee two issues: good lord is it all expensive. Yes, high quality, but... ouch. Given the amount of new/used parts and trucks available around, I see why I have gone the obvious Traxxas/Axial route, so far :)

The VRD Carbon looks like, actually IS, a comp rock crawler -kinda deal and while awesome, it gives me a weird feeling to have a scal-ish vehicle under two carbon toothpicks. I have something like that already in the GSpeed kits I have so, I know it's different but... it's not giving me that pizzazz.

The VRD Builder's Kit Straight Axle would be quite appropriate, it feels like "truck stuff" in its structure, not 'too empty' (I know it's funny to say t hat), price is quite on par against the SCX10.3 to be honest, which makes me think that the SCX10.3 is quite overpriced (and another reason to go II if I didn't have one).

Possible issue with Vanquish is that nobody I know or play with, and also some stores around, have Vanquish stuff, so it would be a bit of a boutique feel and surprisingly not that easy to get parts for.

In the 2.2" department I have a Bomber, a Yeti, a Lasernut and a Capra 4WS that doesn't count but sometimes fits 2.2".

I had an idea about modifying a Wraith but the suggestions I got were that it's an old platform and... you know what it means.

I was also thinking to go 1.9" because I'd love to pair it on trails wither with my Class-1ish or with the Capra, which disregarding the 4WS is a fun trail buggy that we sometimes take around in less-than-extreme situations (and it's still fun albeit very capable).

Last edited:

Similar feelings here. Only thing I saw on the Element that was kinda cool was the overdrive in the transmission but other companies do it better.

I've owned a lot of Axial rigs over the years, but since Traxxas and Vanquish started selling whole trucks, I have only bought one Axial...An SCX10 Pro. Everything I have at the moment except for that truck is Vanquish based. The Traxxas is a darn good truck and would probably be my choice for something I was just going to beat the crap out of, but I'm liking my VP trucks.

Similar feelings here. Only thing I saw on the Element that was kinda cool was the overdrive in the transmission but other companies do it better.

I've owned a lot of Axial rigs over the years, but since Traxxas and Vanquish started selling whole trucks, I have only bought one Axial...An SCX10 Pro. Everything I have at the moment except for that truck is Vanquish based. The Traxxas is a darn good truck and would probably be my choice for something I was just going to beat the crap out of, but I'm liking my VP trucks.
I don't know if VP is more expensive and/or rare in Europe but it seems that's the case and, for how much I know the kits can be a step up, it is not going to be too viable for me. I'd rather have a platform on which someone can throw me a part or sell it to me, instead of having to wait etc.

In other news, a guy near me is selling an Axial 2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited in grey, for a shopping 340 bucks, but I am watching the Axial video of that truck doing the Rubicon trail with a 1:1 Jeep behind him and I am fighting my weakness.

How is it that the whole SCX10 platform seems so capable, including stock old totes and foams, plus shocks combo...not just in Axial videos (doctored or not) but in a lot of content, the old SCX10 and II just tear the lines.

I know it's biased tunnel vision, I know you'll elaborate wisely ;)

Last edited:
I don't know if VP is more expensive and/or rare in Europe but it seems that's the case and, for how much I know the kits can be a step up, it is not going to be too viable for me. I'd rather have a platform on which someone can throw me a part or sell it to me, instead of having to wait etc.

In other news, a guy near me is selling an Axial 2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited in grey, for a shopping 340 bucks, but I am watching the Axial video of that truck doing the Rubicon trail with a 1:1 Jeep behind him and I am fighting my weakness.

How is it that the whole SCX10 platform seems so capable, including stock old totes and foams, plus shocks combo...not just in Axial videos (doctored or not) but in a lot of content, the old SCX10 and II just tear the lines.

I know it's biased tunnel vision, I know you'll elaborate wisely ;)
It makes complete sense that you'd want a platform for which you can get parts locally.

Have you considered an SCX10 Pro like @Col_Sanders mentioned? That would keep you in the Axial product line and I'd assume you could get parts, but it would be more of a performance-based chassis. There is also the SCX10 III Base Camp kit that you could build how you'd like.

Back