• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Charging lipos with only balance lead

chbronco

Pebble Pounder
Have a hbx crawler how can I charge the battery not using th included USB charger. It just has a 3 wire balance plug ,have a thunder power and imax b6 charger can't seem to charge it with them.

The original Lipo balance charges a few years ago, only charged through the balance leads so doing so even today is fine as long as the charger is capable. Not all are though but as mentioned, adapters can be made.

Here's an example of an adapter that lets you use a modern charger (i.e. where you plug the Pos and Neg wires as well as the balance terminals into the charger.) While it's tough to trace the wires form the photo, it allows you to do just that so as mentioned above, you could make an adapter to work if you're so inclined. Just a word of caution. Be careful to not go to too high of a charging current where the small balance plug wires can't handle that current. Frankly, that's why the new charges do both, to take advantage of the high C-ratings of today's batteries that can be charged a lot faster.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/charge-and-balance-adapter-2s-efl/EFLA700UM.html

I bought my kids some $6 Imax B3 chargers for balance lead only charging. They're slow, but still faster than a usb charger, and pretty much fool proof.

The battery main leads are the same as the outside 2 on the balance port.
Don't charge over 1A ever!

An adapter would look like this:

Back