• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Castle sidewinder and weak drag brake

Maxx_Action

Pebble Pounder
Hey guys...

I am mostly finished with a hardbody build based on a TRX4 chassis with an Injora Jeep body. I am using a sidewinder 3 in brushed mode, and an Axial trail breaker 540 35t motor with the stock trx4 spur, and a 13t pinion.

The truck is heavy, but the motor seems to pull it just fine. The problem is that even in straight crawler mode, at 200% drag brake, it won't hold worth a darn.

I have rechecked all the programming, and it's right. So I have no idea why the drag brake would be so weak, and was hoping maybe someone here can shed some light on the subject.

Thanks!

A motor with stronger magnets will have better drag brake using the same esc. I’ve run a Holmes Revolver Snubnose and a Brood Riot 35mm with a Sidewinder 4 and they’ll tip over forward before the drag brake gives up. Not sure of the reputation of the Sidewinder 3 regarding drag brake nor am I familiar with that motor, but I’d try a motor with known strong magnets and go from there.

maybe you need a 550 can motor

Yeah...

I did some more reading on it today, and the TRX4 chassis I bought was a sport , which came with a 39t spur, which makes the gear ratio pretty high even with a 13t pinion. I ordered a 550 Team Brood 20 turn motor, and a 45 tooth spur in case the motor itself doesn't do the trick.

Last edited:
A motor with stronger magnets will have better drag brake using the same esc. I’ve run a Holmes Revolver Snubnose and a Brood Riot 35mm with a Sidewinder 4 and they’ll tip over forward before the drag brake gives up. Not sure of the reputation of the Sidewinder 3 regarding drag brake nor am I familiar with that motor, but I’d try a motor with known strong magnets and go from there.

Surprisingly,

this motor has more magnetic "compression" than any other motor I have, which is why I am puzzled about why the brake is so weak.

lower gears, bigger motor, stronger motor magnets, 3slot holds better then 5slot, trim down some vehicle weight. All these things make the drag brake hold better.
Also make sure you calibrate the esc, if your neutral is off you get 0 dragbrake.
If your drag brake doesn't hold after that, then there is a problem in the esc, maybe settings.

So I wanted to give a little update on this issue...

I bought a Team Brood Pulverizer 20t motor and installed it, dropped the pinion to an 11 tooth from a 13 tooth.

First thing I gotta say is that the motor is angry! Man, it acts more like a brushless motor than any brushed motor I have ever messed with. The drag brake holds like an anchor now as well.

I haven't had a chance to get it on the rocks yet because it's so freaking cold, but I suspect it is going to be a great performer.

bro-tbr-pulverizer20.jpg

That motor will break more than just parts.. maybe some necks? Bronco endos are fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back