• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Can I run all 7.4v servos at 8.4 volts?

Stray

Quarry Creeper
Hi team,

I believe all HV servos are designed to run on a 2s lipo. this fully charge is 8.4v

my question is can I set my BEC to 8.4V and run the servo within spec?

really keen to hear your thoughts

thanks for looking

Read what the manufacturer specs out at . Set voltage accordingly. If you overvolt, you might let all the blue smoke out, then the magic is gone.
I prefer to undervolt for better life, if it said 8.4 max, I will run it at 8.0, I lose a bit of speed and torque, but I spec higher than I need and all works well.

Hang up and Drive

I have a 2290SG

5462f43d32b2039e6127eaa09aaa40d7.jpg
works perfect at 7.4, monster torque and so quick !

Hang up and Drive

Hi team,

I believe all HV servos are designed to run on a 2s lipo. this fully charge is 8.4v

my question is can I set my BEC to 8.4V and run the servo within spec?

really keen to hear your thoughts

thanks for looking

The term "HV" in servos is just like "high torque", it is all about what "standards" that manufacture is going by.

Read what the manufacturer specs out at . Set voltage accordingly. If you overvolt, you might let all the blue smoke out, then the magic is gone.
I prefer to undervolt for better life, if it said 8.4 max, I will run it at 8.0, I lose a bit of speed and torque, but I spec higher than I need and all works well.
Hang up and Drive

^ ^ ^Here is the best advise. ^ ^ ^

But, for consistent performance, you want to pick a voltage that will be nominally supplied to your electronics. If you are running 2S, then you want your electronics voltage to be somewhere under the packs nominal voltage, which is 7.4VDC. In this case, I would set my voltage at 7VDC, or down to 6.5VDC, depending on what voltage selections I had available. If you really want to run higher voltage through your electronics, go to a higher voltage pack. Also, if you are sending that higher voltage to all of your electronics, make sure they can take it. Many RXs do not like going above 6VDC, and neither do many cheaper LEDs.

Thanks,

I run 3s on all my rigs so voltage isn’t an issue, but I think I’ll stick to 7.4v for now

I appreciate all the input

Some servos will smoke from that extra voltage, some will not. Savox generally can accept a little more voltage though, but beware the extra heat.

The thing is 8.4v from a battery (when fully charged) will result in higher average voltage than 7.4v from a BEC since there will be almost zero voltage drop. That's the difference between a 6A max vs 100A+ power supply. It should also be noted that servo life will naturally be reduced with more voltage unless it's a brushless motor inside.

Some servos will smoke from that extra voltage, some will not. Savox generally can accept a little more voltage though, but beware the extra heat.

The thing is 8.4v from a battery (when fully charged) will result in higher average voltage than 7.4v from a BEC since there will be almost zero voltage drop. That's the difference between a 6A max vs 100A+ power supply. It should also be noted that servo life will naturally be reduced with more voltage unless it's a brushless motor inside.

From what I can tell, the Savox HV servos are the normal servos with a HV sticker on them. I believe they design them around the nominal voltage and use marketing hype to charge you 10$ more for that HV sticker. I verified this personally with a normal 1210 and a 1211 HV. They both perform the same at 7.4.

From what I can tell, the Savox HV servos are the normal servos with a HV sticker on them. I believe they design them around the nominal voltage and use marketing hype to charge you 10$ more for that HV sticker. I verified this personally with a normal 1210 and a 1211 HV. They both perform the same at 7.4.

In there defense at least it is a very shiny sticker...

Nope,

I was responding to the post referring that all savox hv servos were just normal servos with different marketing. I don't belive there is a normal 6v version of the 2290sg making that statement incorrect.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Nope,

I was responding to the post referring that all savox hv servos were just normal servos with different marketing. I don't belive there is a normal 6v version of the 2290sg making that statement incorrect.

It used to not be marketed as HV.

Really,

So when it was released it was only specifed to run a maximum of 6v?

I did not know that. My apologies.

I also have a bunch of other non savox hv servos so was a general question of voltage (even though I did mention the 2290sg......)

I can at least verify their 6v servos work at 7.4v, maybe 8.4v but I can't recall which I tried. Someone claimed a Savox rep said 6v will work with higher voltage and I didn't really need that servo, so gave it a shot. Granted it was a 120oz servo, it didn't even get warm.

Yeah its a bit odd. Obviously the servo can run 6v. But I run 3s, and have a castle ccbec2.0 so why would I? I just wanted to know if this, and my other hv servos could be run with the bec set at 8.4 volts.

Ive ran my 2 yer old savox 1210 at 7.4v via a bec from day one with no ill effects thus far. No idea if there is a performance increase but that’s another story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a pretty linear performance increase in torque and speed with any servo (similar to going higher voltage on an ESC). Now, if it's noticeable, that's another thing :)

Back