• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

C.I. builds Big Jeff's Alumi-Fighter Comp Crawler

HOLLY CRAP!!! I just put the knuckle weights on. I had to do some mods to get it to turn all the way. Ran it a little. This thing is ALSOME!!! Way better than my berg. Eddie did a hell of a job on it. This thing does everything I want it to do & some things I didn't think it could do. My hats off to Eddie. Eddies my hero. :lmao:

Big Jeff still owns this comp crawler and brought it out for some filming a few months ago and it appears in this video:

This video is a compilation of video footage from many different RC cars Crawler Innovations has built and used to test and develop CI products. This video has the Sczcerba built 8x8 crawler hauler, "Top Shelf", CI "mega truck", 3 Pro 2.2 MOA trucks, 1 Sportsmans truck, "Big Blue", and 1:6 Willis Jeep. All vehicles have Crawler Innovations foams in one flavor or another.

Crawler Tires, Crawler Foams, Parts and Accessories by Crawler Innovations

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6a84m7evLK4" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Almost four years to the day after this thread was created and this crawler is back in the possession of CI. Big Jeff was needing the funds more than this crawler sitting on his shelf. Comp crawling had completely halted with the majority of the ETXRCC club switching to scalers and G6 formatting. I'm not certain when the last time this was ran before today, but it's been many months. In order to preserve the amount of history and design that went into this RC Crawler, it's headed to the private collection of Big Baller. On to the pictures;

2b804cfdab00afad16bb046f1ceca695.jpg

5259c20514029dc12eeb6e2757593186.jpg

b69ec9d1ab71c5456879d478e260da26.jpg

26096bbc59a55e51eaa63dd68538157b.jpg

26d0c5baaa45530af4fd8b598922ab45.jpg

...uploaded from the lab at the C.I. compound...

Hey now, some of us are still driving these dinosaurs...! :mrgreen:

LOL! Compared to the cool stuff Dlux is offering these days, these axles do seem like dinosaurs. Especially since they were made in such a limited production. It would be neat to see these up against some of the latest and greatest, after all it's not just about the machine, the driving is crucial.

Might be time to Rethink That.......:roll: just saying.....;-)

But would a 4 pound weight minimum even up the playing field:?:

No. These axles and this chassis work really well at most weight combo's. The really lightweight cars are just way more fun to drive...

Hi Casey"thumbsup"
I disagree agree with you in regards to the sub 4 pound weight rc crawlers. In my experience, I have found that light weight, sub 4 pound, rc crawlers perform exceptional on smooth flowing rock, i.e. Natural Terrain. However, the same sub 4 pound rc crawler is inconsistent on rip rap or man made obstacles.

East Texas does not have smooth flowing natural rock. At best we get big boulders piled upon each other or laid out along the ground. Iron ore and sandstone are the most common rock we crawl on here. Add in some dust and humidity...and the traction disappears. It's because of these conditions that drew me to work so much on foam and tire design years ago. The lightweight cars suffer on terrain like this. Too light in weight, and the cars don't have enough contact pressure to hold the line or transition opposing off camber lines, at least in my experience.

I do agree that the light weight cars can pull off some amazing lines because of their nimbleness. And of course, that is fun. But in a competition scenario, what levels the playing field for the machine? 8 years ago when comp crawlers averaged 6+ pounds in weight, those that began working towards being lighter, such as designs like the very car in this build thread, began to dominate local and national comps. It created a race to be the lightest and that brought added costs. It was the beginning of the end of that era of comp crawling.

I don't know about you... but I would prefer to be a part of an international crawling organization that had basic rules in place to guide the competition in a fair, repeatable, and reputable manner. Weight seems like the first place to start. Every form of 1:1 automotive racing creates classes and they have weight minimums. Just some food for thought.

Whats funny is that for the most part the ultra light weight craze is dwindling IMO. Those that chased it hoping for better results were disappointed to find out it didn't improve their driving. It actually made it worse. Lighter cars are harder to drive and have to be tuned way better.
Jake Wright who has had one of the lightest cars over the past few years has not dominated because of the weight of his car, but because of his exceptional skill. Give him anuones car at a comp and hed finish top 10 for sure. Give him a car he knows and bam there he is up near the top. A perfect example of this is his 6th place finish in super at this years worlds..... that was a barrowed rig that he may have had 4 or 5 hours on before comp day.
Weight is only a number and it only matters when your tuning your rig. This hobby is 20% car (cuz its gotta stay together) while the other 80% is all driver.

Weight is only a number and it only matters when your tuning your rig. This hobby is 20% car (cuz its gotta stay together) while the other 80% is all driver.

There is a whole lot of truth to that. If you can't tune suspension and drive the rig well to begin with then weight doesn't matter much. A $3000 fully unobtanium 3lb flyweight won't climb or side hill any better than a $1000 6lb tank in the hands of a moron.

Seeing this rig points out how much things have changed while also staying the same. Alloy housings that dont slide over rock is out, slippery delrin and carbon fiber are in. Cvd axles with craptastic turning are out, universals are in. Progression is good. :D

Back