• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Buying my first mountain bike.....

Today i picked me up a bottle cage, 24oz insulated bottle, different seat (other was a little too wide), and I also picked up some cycling specific compression shorts. All that equasl up to a much more comfortable me on the trail and less sore afterwards hopefully.

I still need to pick out a pair of shoes to go with the crank brothers candy pedals that came on the bike. I've ridden clipless before (only for a day) i tired on all the 46's they had at the LBS today. The ones that fit the best weren't very comfy, and the others either had too much arch support or were to narrow (i wear a 4e minimum in tennis shoes, and i dont have much arch) Im looking for alteast one buckle and nice comfort for a reasonable price (200 max) Any suggestions on shoes?

I personally hate clip in pedals, so I run studded BMX platform pedals and I wear the cheapest sneakers that I can find since they are going to get trashed in the woods. You just have to be careful about a foot slipping off of the pedals, when the cranks kick around the studs will embed themselves into your shins :twisted: ( yes, it hurts like hell!!)

im running some cheap old bmx platforms right now and the trails are very rocky and i cant keep my feet situated where i want them. Only thing with clipless pedals is you better be damn confident when jumping. Which seems like a good idea for me because it might deter me from doing jumps i shouldn't be doing. :ror:

there is alot of good reviews for the sette epic shoes, plus they are wide and they are only $90 so i think im gonna give those a try.

Today i picked me up a bottle cage, 24oz insulated bottle, different seat (other was a little too wide), and I also picked up some cycling specific compression shorts. All that equasl up to a much more comfortable me on the trail and less sore afterwards hopefully.

I still need to pick out a pair of shoes to go with the crank brothers candy pedals that came on the bike. I've ridden clipless before (only for a day) i tired on all the 46's they had at the LBS today. The ones that fit the best weren't very comfy, and the others either had too much arch support or were to narrow (i wear a 4e minimum in tennis shoes, and i dont have much arch) Im looking for alteast one buckle and nice comfort for a reasonable price (200 max) Any suggestions on shoes?

Yes, real bike shorts are a must.

Last summer I picked up a pair of Mavic Avenir roadie shoes, and they fit well. I also have wide feet (not 4e wide though) and no arch. They have several mtb shoes, so maybe they'll work for you.

Got a patch kit, tube, pump, multi tool and either an under seat pack or a hydration pack yet? You will need to fix a flat at some point. And 24 oz of water won't last that long once you start doing 10+ mile rides.

i still need to grab a tiny pump and repair kit, im running tubeless with the stans stuff in the tires so hopefully that stuff will do what its supposed to and seal up any tiny punctures. A multi-tool and little bag for that stuff is a good idea. If i start running out of water i have a camelback i can use. I rode 12 miles yestrerday (8 on the trails and 4 on the road) and i still had a little water left when i got back to the truck, maybe im not drinking enough.

so far ive put 36 miles on the bike this first week, about 30 on trail and rest on the road, best part is im not even the least bit saddle sore anymore.

I'd recommend riding with a camelbak all the time if you're doing mostly trail riding. Easier access to water, and it doesn't get contaminated with mud or other crap. I only use mine for water though, cleaning out the bladder and tube is a pain, and is needed much more often if you're using it with energy drinks. Can also use the pack for your spare parts. Don't forget a set of tire levers too and a spare tube. A flat tubeless is easily fixed with a tube. Also, don't necessarily go with the smallest pump out there, can be a real pain in the ass to pump up your tire. Personally, I only carry CO2 nowadays for flats.

Other things to carry:

- Cell phone and ten bucks. Both will get you back to town if you have a real break down!
- Chain breaking tool. If you toast your rear derailleur on a rock, you can convert your bike to a ss to get yourself back home.
- TP in a ziploc bag. Don't laugh, trail side "emergencies" happen, especially with lots of exertion. Also good if you fall and scrape yourself up to stop bleeding. Better than the twigs and leaves option.

As for shoes, can't really recommend any one. It's really up to the individual rider and what feels comfortable for them (keeping in mind most cycling shoes feel uncomfortable off the bike for walking in). I would recommend staying away from Euro brands like Sidi though, only because they tend to run narrower.

just picked up this yesterday is texas. "thumbsup"
100_7712.JPG

Nice choice in a ride. I have been riding my hardtail stumpjumper for 3+ years now. Ecoli gave some great advice above. To much water during a ride can give a bloated feeling at which point your body isnt even absorbing what you put in. I would just make sure you are properly hydrated by at least a day before you ride and just small sips from the camel back during the ride. I have always felt better that way. Good luck and enjoy the bike.

For a pump, I would recommend a Lezyne pressure drive. We sell a lot of them at the shop I work at simply because they're a small, lightweight pump and they attach to the valve by a hose...which makes pumping easier in my opinion due to the pump being able to move around with your hands rather than attaching directly to the valve. They're a tad pricey at around $40, but well worth it and they come in different sizes. I love mine.

http://www.lezyne.com/products/hand-pumps/presssure-drive

I second the tire lever recommendation. If your tires have tight beads and you can't remove them with your bare hands...you'll probably hate life if you get a flat.

You know Ross, when I think of people that just need one more hobby, somehow, your name doesn't come to mind. :ror:..

THat sig is correct. But Ross is probably texting on the phone and doing his tax returns while riding that bike. :lmao:

Good looking two wheeler right there. I'll bring the ol' Fuji Panic Comp tomorrow to the comp if i remember. Nothing fancy but it gets me around. Havne't rode it in a while anyways.

The other benefit of a hydration pack is that when you crash, it's like having a tiny waterbed on your back. The first time I crashed with one on, it was quite surprising.....

I second the TP and a extra master link. But only if the multi tool has a chain breaker.

I always carry a Leatherman type tool equipped with pliers. That salvaged a bent brake rotor near the start of the Hermosa trail in Durango.

Great choice on the Stumpy. I actually just bought a 2010 stumpjumper FSR elite a couple weeks ago. It is hard to beat the FSR suspension on a do-it-all bike.

My stumpy climbs as good or better than my hardtail and I can still bomb the downhills. It is THE BEST BIKE I have ever ridden, hands down. The only advice I can give you is if you are going to beat on it, keep a close watch on the spoke tension, a lot of these XC wheelsets just need to be adjusted more with more abuse.

as for clip ins, they will give you that next level of control, and jumping with them isn't as scary as it seems, just practice the "heel first" exit. I've done 12-14' drops and 20' doubles while clipped in. I actually liked it because you always knew where the pedals were.

Good luck and get that thing dirty!!

Back