• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

brushless wraith gearing help

4x4RockShop

i have an axial wraith and i just recently installed a castle creations sidewinder sct. i really like the motor but i'm tired of putting spur gears in it and don't know what gear ratio to choose. right now it has a 87 spur and a 15 pinion which isn't low enough to crawl. I was considering doing an 88 spur and a 11 pinion to help get the gearing down so it will crawl and not just haul a**. any help would be greatly appreciated. oh also anybody else who has installed an sct and wouldn't mind giving input on the torque curves and what not would be greatly appreciated too.

That large shaft will limit the size of pinion. Get the smallest pinion available and go from there. With that much torque you may want to swap to 32p also.

i have an axial wraith and i just recently installed a castle creations sidewinder sct. i really like the motor but i'm tired of putting spur gears in it and don't know what gear ratio to choose. right now it has a 87 spur and a 15 pinion which isn't low enough to crawl. I was considering doing an 88 spur and a 11 pinion to help get the gearing down so it will crawl and not just haul a**. any help would be greatly appreciated. oh also anybody else who has installed an sct and wouldn't mind giving input on the torque curves and what not would be greatly appreciated too.

that should be a 3mm shaft, what kv motor did you install? thats a sensorless system and wont be the best for crawling...more details would help...

thats a ratio of 5.8:1 which is fine for temps and crawling...provided its a motor in the 2200kv to 3800kv range... you have a 48p spur gear? first thing is to switch to a 32p for more strength in the gears

Last edited:
it is a 1410 3800kv motor. i plan on running 2s and 3s lipos mostly if thats any help. and i also plan on ordering hardened steel spur and pinion gears. i already have them in the transmission.

Last edited:
that motor is definitely a 3mm or 1/8 in shaft, switch to 32p gears, even if they are steel.... but with that much power, you will keep finding the weak links in your drivetrain... and it will not crawl slowly with out cogging.. needs to be sensored to crawl slow and smooth...

why are you running this sct system anyway? I ran this same setup in the beginning and grew tired of its limitations very quickly then switched to the roc 412 3100 kv and a sensored MMP

the wraith is not a high speed basher, you can make some changes to make it better, but not decent...not worth the money to do it in my opinion...

Last edited:
ok so with a quick look on ebay i found a 11 tooth pinion and a 59 tooth spur gear in a 32p. thats the smallest and biggest i could find, but would that gear ratio be low enough to let it crawl?

i took the system out of a car i dont drive, i got tired of burning up brushed motors with lipos. what motor set up would you recommend for crawling?

thanks for the help so far.

Last edited:
that would be 5.3:1, if it was sensored it would be fine, but non sensored, it will cog at crawling slow speed..

holmes hobbies 2700 puller pro and brushless esc or tekin roc 412 3100 kv and a cc mmp esc... thats what I would and have run...

that being said, I have several brushed crawlers on 3s that dont burn up the motors...I am runnning holmes hobbies brushed torque master and crawl master motors..with axial AE-5 ESC's no issues with burned up motors in a couple years

I would wait and get a castle sensored motor. They should be under $100. I'm gonna try one when available to compare it to the roc412 and Holmes motors.

I run a used ae-3 with a $20 2100kV Chinese 3650. Geared at 13/56 it crawls fine, not better than my 80t brushed, but decent. Put a 3s in and it'll hop around the rock pile nicely.

ill more than likely go with the holmes hobbies trail master speed controller and the puller pro. the speed controller was made by castle which is nice since i can still tune it with the data link cable. if you have good luck with a castle motor ill probably go that route, ive had good luck with their motors.

I would look at it like the sidewinder sct combo has given you a reason to buy a 2 or 4wd SCT. There are very nice rollers on eBay from the rc scrappers.

I would look at it like the sidewinder sct combo has given you a reason to buy a 2 or 4wd SCT. There are very nice rollers on eBay from the rc scrappers.

i got the motor and esc out of a clapped hpi blitz. i put it in my traxxas stampede for now, but it might make its way back into the blitz later on as id like to get into racing.

Back