• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Broken Tranny Gears???

Toyo496

Quarry Creeper
After having my WK tranny apart and back together just under 50 times last night while assembeling my new Blitz Slipper Clutch....I came up with an idea of how to double the strength on both the upper and middle gear with stock HPI WK parts !! So my question is directed to those of you who have broken some stock WK plastic tranny gears in the past...Which gear(s) broke in the tranny?? Top, middle or bottom gear?? I think I have a cheap solution for the middle and upper gears.... :)

On a side note, the slipper clutch works GREAT ! I deviated a bit from SkullKing's method. But it works perfect, thank you SkullKing "thumbsup"

I plan to do a DIY thread on how I did mine here soon.

I haven't completely destroyed mine yet, it is actually slipping the lower 2 gears inside. Everytime I split the case I find plastic dust.

I use the CKRC aluminum gears in mine and have never had a problem.
As long as you are not running a crazy fast brushless system they will hold up fine.
I run Holmes hobby puller motors on 2 cell lipo and tend to strip spur gears.:twisted: That is my only weak spot in my drive train."thumbsup"

I use the CKRC aluminum gears in mine and have never had a problem.
As long as you are not running a crazy fast brushless system they will hold up fine.
I run Holmes hobby puller motors on 2 cell lipo and tend to strip spur gears.:twisted: That is my only weak spot in my drive train."thumbsup"

Mine started to strip when I hooked my 55t turn into it. But I have since swapped tranny's and it just sits on the shelf. Too tall for most of my builds, but good info for the day it gets rebuilt

So after doing some searching and reading the Wheely King Transmission Details thread it sounds like the Top 15T gear is the first to go and next in line is the Middle clicker clutch gear.... Anybody smoking the bottom gear before the other gears ? Sounds like my little mod will work if it's mainly the middle and top gear that are taking the beating.

I just broke my top gear. I was thinking of replacing it with some metal gears. what is the mod?

Hey, sorry for the delay, I had hoped to have done the mod myself and tested it, and then post some pics. I have been running short on time lately...

I figure that you can buy steel/aluminum gears for around $30, I didn't want to buy these quite yet and I am always trying to re-engineer with stock or cheaper parts so I thought of this mod, and I think it will doulble the strength of the plastic gears and only cost around $8.
You will need to buy some factory HPI WK tranny gears.

So check out my thread on "Another way to lock the WK tranny gears" and follow all of those steps.
Take the top gear and slide it over to the other side of the top shaft, drill for a drive pin and re-assemble the tranny so that the top gear is positioned over the middle and bottom gears. Then take another top gear from the extra WK gear set ( they cost around $8 ) and position it in the stock position on the top shaft. So now the top shaft should have two top gears on it that ride right in line with the 2 clicker clutch gears. Make sure to line the gear teeth up with all four gears before you do any drilling in the top shaft. Now re-assemble the tranny with the stock 4 gears plus the extra top gear (5 gears total). With the top two gears ridding on top of the middle two clicker gears this should eliminate the clicker clutch as well. However it probably wouldn't hurt to JB weld or screw the middle gears together to ensure that they mesh with the top gears 100% of the time. This mod should double the strength of the plastic gears by adding another gear to help absorb the torque of the motor and only cost $8. :)

Again, I have not done this mod yet, however I have had the WK tranny apart like 50 times and it appears as if it will work perfectly.

Last edited:
Back