• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Boldfin's VS4-10 with VFD Trans and TRX-4 Axles

Finally, Chassis #2 is now at the body fitment and exterior customization stage:

Mocked up the ProlLine 1985 Toyota HiLux SR5 body (just a rough cut, for now).

I purchased a ProLine Back Half Cage, but I'm not sure it will fit. I haven't put it together yet, but I'm pretty sure it will interfere with the VS4-10 fuel cell.

I think a custom rear cage similar to the one that Brandon just did for his Mojave-bodied VS4-10 Pro would look sweet. But I've never done any sort of brazing or tube work. Might need to learn... or find someone who can build one for me.

I'm liking that blue - especially with the matte finish!

Nice detailing on the fuel cell - I wouldn't want to hide it, either... "thumbsup"

I can't decide whether to build my VS4-10 chassis with SSD Pro44s or with Capra portal axles.

It's about 3rd or 4th on my current project list, I'm sure someone will build one up with Capra axles at some point and make my decision easier!

Don't give me any more ideas. I'm already up to two VS4-10 chassis. Don't really need a third. Though SuperShafty did just announce aluminum axles for the Capra...

I'm liking that blue - especially with the matte finish!

Nice detailing on the fuel cell - I wouldn't want to hide it, either... "thumbsup"

I can't decide whether to build my VS4-10 chassis with SSD Pro44s or with Capra portal axles.

It's about 3rd or 4th on my current project list, I'm sure someone will build one up with Capra axles at some point and make my decision easier!

The four-day holiday weekend, and some rare So-Cal rain, has led to my spending a lot of time in the garage working on these VS4-10 chassis. Now that Chassis #2 (3-gear trans, TRX-4 axles) is in a running state, I turned my attention to putting some axles under Chassis #1 (VFD Trans).

If I knew better, I probably wouldn't have even attempted this - but I had just got in a set of SSD Trail King Diamond Pro axles - Front and Rear. I built them up, and thought what the heck - the Trail King has an offset front axle, and it's very similar to an SCX-10 II - so maybe these would work with the VS4-10 chassis with VFD trans.

Installation went smoothly, up to a point...

I wanted to us a Traxxas Rx Box again, but I had to move it forward on the slider so it would clear the VS4-10 Pro-style battery tray. It barely clears when moved forward after filing off just a tad bit of the mounting bosses.

I also had to use spacers to raise the Rx box up so it would clear the bump where the outer slider rail bolts to the side tray.

I was eager to get this chassis finished, so I kind of forged ahead without really checking to see if there was going to be any clearance issues on the front-end. I used the included steering and panhard links from the VS4-10 Chassis Kit. All the rest of the links are from the Incision kit for SCX10-II 12.3" Wheelbase.

It became pretty apparent that I'd need to space the front upper link way, way over on the axle to allow it to clear the VFD spur gear cover. And the driveshaft interference with the skid was even worse than it was with the TRX-4 axles.

I really should have done some research before attempting to use SSD Trail King axles with the VFD. I would have seen right away that the Trail King is set up a little differently than a VS4-10 Pro.

Apparently, the front upper link on the SSD Trail King chassis is installed on the driver's side, and it runs parallel to and close to to the front driveshaft as it connects to the upper link mounts on top the front diff housing.

Oh well, another mistake made, and another lesson learned. No big deal. I will just use these SSD axles under another project - maybe a TRX10.2?

In the meantime, I think I'm going to go the tried-and-true route for axles under Chassis #1. VS4-10 D44 axles have been ordered.

Last edited:
Darn, I was considering the ssd offset front as well. Too bad it won’t work out.

D44s will look good under there. thanks for being the guinea pig. "thumbsup"

Wow, thanks for the attempt. I was just about to pull the trigger on a vanquish chassis, vfd trans, and trial king axle housings thinking it would have been a nice build at black Friday discounts.

Wow, thanks for the attempt. I was just about to pull the trigger on a vanquish chassis, vfd trans, and trial king axle housings thinking it would have been a nice build at black Friday discounts.

Same here but was after the original idea with TRX-4 Portals under the UMG10 4x4...might still give it a try.

Do you think the SSD Pro44 or Diamond Pro axles with the centered pumpkins would work with the VFD transmission?

Do you think the SSD Pro44 or Diamond Pro axles with the centered pumpkins would work with the VFD transmission?

I don't think so. I think the driveshaft and the front upper link will both have major clearance issues with the VFD spur gear cover and/or skid.

You might be able to get enough clearance spacing the front upper link way, way over. If you look at a set of VS4-10 D44's or the VS4-10 F9 axles, you can see just how far out to the side the upper link mount is. That just goes to show you how far over you would need to space the front link over. I'm sure that could be done somehow.

But then you'd still have the issue of driveshaft clearance, and I think that's a bigger issue. Even with an offset pumpkin, the driveshaft runs very tight to the VFD's skid. I know guys have made it work with TRX-4 axles by clearancing the skid and running different driveshafts . I was running Incision driveshafts. I have heard the Junfac or MIP Driveshafts may offer better clearance. The easier route for me was to just build Chassis #2 with a 3-Gear Trans. That solved my driveshaft and upper link issues right quick.

On Chassis #1 with the VFD trans, driveshaft clearance was way worse with the SSD Trail King offset front axle. I can only imagine what would happen with a centered pumpkin. With a centered pumpkin, I think the driveshaft would probably run under the motor a bit. You might be able to clearance the skid, but then the driveshaft would probably hit the motor on compression.

But hey - maybe I just lack creativity and/or experience - so please don't let me curb anyone's enthusiasm. If someone figures it out, please let us know how it's done. I actually do have a spare set of Diamond Pro axles in my parts box.

Darn, I was considering the ssd offset front as well. Too bad it won’t work out.

D44s will look good under there. thanks for being the guinea pig. "thumbsup"

No worries. But like I said, I might just be looking at this the wrong way, so feel free to prove me wrong.

I have you to thank for the inspiration behind my next foray into "Frankenrigging". I plan to throw those Trail King axles under a TRX-4 chassis. I have a pretty complete collection of takeoff TRX-4 parts that I bought off eBay, including the single speed trans from a TRX-4 Sport. I will gear it up with a 9T pinion and 45T spur. I think that should make for a pretty decent FDR - even without the reduction of portals. By my calculations I would end up with 41.63:1 with stock gears in both front and rear axles. But I actually already installed the SSD 8T/27T overdrive gears in the front offset Trail King axle, so that would make it 37.46:1 up front.

But that's a subject for another forum. Apologies for the digression. Back to talking VS4-10. My D44's will be here on Weds. So maybe I will be able to finally complete Chassis #1 with the VFD trans once and for all.

Does this look correct? Again - I'm still a noob - but I've never seen axles rocked back like this. My only guess is that may be intended to obtain good pinion angle.

The stock link length offered for the SCX10II does point the pinion up slightly. Thats fine when running a standard axle, but when using a portal axle you effectively shorten your wheelbase. May or may not be a big deal. Not going to hurt anything otherwise.

No worries. But like I said, I might just be looking at this the wrong way, so feel free to prove me wrong.

I have you to thank for the inspiration behind my next foray into "Frankenrigging". I plan to throw those Trail King axles under a TRX-4 chassis. I have a pretty complete collection of takeoff TRX-4 parts that I bought off eBay, including the single speed trans from a TRX-4 Sport. I will gear it up with a 9T pinion and 45T spur. I think that should make for a pretty decent FDR - even without the reduction of portals. By my calculations I would end up with 41.63:1 with stock gears in both front and rear axles. But I actually already installed the SSD 8T/27T overdrive gears in the front offset Trail King axle, so that would make it 37.46:1 up front.

But that's a subject for another forum. Apologies for the digression. Back to talking VS4-10. My D44's will be here on Weds. So maybe I will be able to finally complete Chassis #1 with the VFD trans once and for all.

Nice! I’m happy to hear that. I’m going to revive that project with some TK axles as well. Gearing math sounds about right to me. I ran it with a mamba x and 2280kv slate and 9t pinion and didn’t have any cogging or issues slow crawling to give you a point of reference. I ran OD in front too.

For this project, I’m not sure I can prove you wrong. The front upper link mount seems to be a booger and may require a VP axle or some fab that I’m not capable of to make work.

You actually inspired me to do a similar build and I picked up a chassis kit and VFD over the Black Friday weekend and will likely end up with a front offset D44 and a rear f9 portal.

@Brandon or Harley, is it possible to get 1:1 gearing from the pre-production VFD available? Or is it possible to swap the gears around to make the OD go to the rear output?

Last edited:
@Brandon or Harley, is it possible to get 1:1 gearing from the pre-production VFD available? Or is it possible to swap the gears around to make the OD go to the rear output?

It is not, I only have samples of those parts and are not production spec. You cant reposition the gears either, the bearing plates locate the center distances on the gears for the specific layout. If you made you're own bearing plates then you could technically move the idler gear and run the 32T rear ouput gear on the front output as well. Thats how the 1:1 bearing plates were initially setup before we decided to just include a mild OD out of the box.

I don't think so. I think the driveshaft and the front upper link will both have major clearance issues with the VFD spur gear cover and/or skid.

You might be able to get enough clearance spacing the front upper link way, way over. If you look at a set of VS4-10 D44's or the VS4-10 F9 axles, you can see just how far out to the side the upper link mount is. That just goes to show you how far over you would need to space the front link over. I'm sure that could be done somehow.

But then you'd still have the issue of driveshaft clearance, and I think that's a bigger issue. Even with an offset pumpkin, the driveshaft runs very tight to the VFD's skid. I know guys have made it work with TRX-4 axles by clearancing the skid and running different driveshafts . I was running Incision driveshafts. I have heard the Junfac or MIP Driveshafts may offer better clearance. The easier route for me was to just build Chassis #2 with a 3-Gear Trans. That solved my driveshaft and upper link issues right quick.

On Chassis #1 with the VFD trans, driveshaft clearance was way worse with the SSD Trail King offset front axle. I can only imagine what would happen with a centered pumpkin. With a centered pumpkin, I think the driveshaft would probably run under the motor a bit. You might be able to clearance the skid, but then the driveshaft would probably hit the motor on compression.

But hey - maybe I just lack creativity and/or experience - so please don't let me curb anyone's enthusiasm. If someone figures it out, please let us know how it's done. I actually do have a spare set of Diamond Pro axles in my parts box.

That's a bummer. Thanks for the feedback.

OK, I finally found a set of axles that work with the VFD Trans on Chassis #1. VS4-10 D44's...

Look at all that clearance. It's almost as if these axles were made to work with the VFD Transmission.

Chassis #1 is all rigged up and ready for Body, Wheels, and Tires.

I have a set of wheels. Haven't decided on tires yet.

Mocked up with the same SR5 HiLux body I will be using on Chassis #2. Actually, I may pick up another SR5 HiLux front cab and paint it up in a complementary color. Then I just need to figure out the rear cage situation for both chassis.

Them axles sure are purdy!:)

Glad to see it all coming together!"thumbsup"

I love those wheels and I can't see them mounted to some tars.

Nice axles too.

Doh! I was hoping to do a vfd with TRX4 axles too...
I got too many half way done projects maybe it's just time to buy the pro and have some vanquish axles.

Or maybe just a little bit longer forward links will add the Clarence I need...

Doh! I was hoping to do a vfd with TRX4 axles too...
I got too many half way done projects maybe it's just time to buy the pro and have some vanquish axles.

Or maybe just a little bit longer forward links will add the Clarence I need...

Give that a try, and let us know. I just decided to punt and go with the known-to-work D44 axles.

Back