• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Blowing up motors??? what to do?

Jermalermin

So my wraith is running 3s lipo 30c on a 55 turn rc4wd cheap motor which should be giving me enough torque for the very slow technical crawling I do. I dont do bashing fast stuff often but I am having an issue where it keeps smoking out the motor before the end of a pack. I would think a 55 turn would be sufficient but maybe not? its stock gearing with a dynamic crawling esc.

The RC4WD 55T motor isn't really rated for 3S. A Traxxas 550 21T would have plenty of torque since its a physically larger motor vs the 540-size RC4WD one.

The RC4WD 55T motor isn't really rated for 3S. A Traxxas 550 21T would have plenty of torque since its a physically larger motor vs the 540-size RC4WD one.

thank you for the input I didn't catch the detail of the traxxas being a larger can size what kind of modification to the chassis would have to be made to fit the larger motor if any?

in addition what is better reverse rotation or standard for the traxxas 550 21t

I don't think it matters. Those are for a dual marine setup, IIRC, but shouldn't matter for land based. But I would err on the side of caution and not get the reverse rotation.

I searched and searched when I had mine and on some Traxxas boards people said that it is not 3s rated and has a 35t equivalent worth of winding. Or that may have been the 12t...

They say its not but you haven't had issues? and i'm having a hard time determining what is and isn't rated because its not general information manufacturers give.

I burnt up an AE-5 ESC on 3s. Since moved the 550 to a Wraith pushed by 2s and a HobbyWing 1080. There's plenty of TQ on tap for the Wraith.

I don't know if reverse rotation matters or not, but the Titan 550 21T reverse rotation is the stock motor in the TRX-4, which is rated for 3S.

I don't know if reverse rotation matters or not, but the Titan 550 21T reverse rotation is the stock motor in the TRX-4, which is rated for 3S.

that motor only costs 7 dollars more than the homes hobbies and seems to be a better deal where i can run both 3s power and not burn up motors. they seem to burn up the most when i get the front end it a bind and am trying to drive out but if it is rated for 3s that shouldn't be an issue is my interpretation

Last edited:
With general, gentle trailing, it's usually alright to run stock gearing but when doing serious crawling and running a 540 can in a Wraith, it's best to drop a few teeth on the pinion at least.

SO I have ordered a Traxxas 21T 550 can for motor replacement because if that blows up there's something else wrong in addition i am thinking i will order a 9t 32p pinion and 68t 32p spur that should get me to around 8.00 to 1.

Back