• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Best Replacement for my RR10 Bomber Servo

For the record, customer service was quick and polite. A replacement servo is on it's way. I am pleased.

That being said, I am in the process of putting in a 7954. The stock servo will be used for a 2 speed conversion eventually.

Hitec HS-7955TG. It costs a lot, but you will never break it. Buy once, cry once.

Everyone says you need an external BEC to run a crawler servo properly. You don't, not as long as the internal BEC outputs at least 6V. If the servo seems to struggle running on the ESC's internal BEC, or if you intend to operate the vehicle in conditions where the wheels will bind-up in crevices and you still want to be able to crank them to the side (because you hate your vehicle, I guess?) then you need an external BEC, but other than that the internal one will be fine. Hardcore crawler guys will disagree, loudly and insultingly, but that's because they like to overbuild everything. I've been running my HS-7955TG in my Wraith on the internal BEC for two years and somehow, miraculously, the world hasn't exploded even once.

EDIT: The HS-7954SH should be just as good in dry conditions. I think the only advantage the HS-7955TG has is the titanium gears will never rust. My Wraith likes to swim, though. :)

Last edited:
I don't even have to be a "hard core crawler guy" to disagree with this ^^. Granted a 7955 is a good servo, but that's where the agreeing comes to a halt.

Anyone who's spent more than 30 bucks on upgrades for his/her r/c should get a b.e.c, and its not a matter of if your ESCs on-board b.e.c can handle the required voltage to run a better servo, its a matter of if the ESCs onboard b.e.c burns out running your new premium servo and takes the rest of your ESC with it. That's the main reason anyone should get a b.e.c.

Think of it as $20 of insurance that will eliminate the internal b.e.c as a common failure point to any ESC, be it a budget esc, or expensive ESC. If I'm going to spent money on quality parts than I want a lil' damn insurance.

Last edited:
Hitec HS-7955TG. It costs a lot, but you will never break it. Buy once, cry once.

Everyone says you need an external BEC to run a crawler servo properly. You don't, not as long as the internal BEC outputs at least 6V. If the servo seems to struggle running on the ESC's internal BEC, or if you intend to operate the vehicle in conditions where the wheels will bind-up in crevices and you still want to be able to crank them to the side (because you hate your vehicle, I guess?) then you need an external BEC, but other than that the internal one will be fine. Hardcore crawler guys will disagree, loudly and insultingly, but that's because they like to overbuild everything. I've been running my HS-7955TG in my Wraith on the internal BEC for two years and somehow, miraculously, the world hasn't exploded even once.

I generally (politely :flipoff:) disagree to some extent. It's not the voltage of the internal ESC's BEC that is the issue, it's the maximum amperage. Most internal BECs only run between 1.5A-3.0A. An external Castle Creations bottom of the line BEC can do 10A. Not only that, but you can program the voltage output as well to truly take advantage of a premium servo that you paid money for. For competitions, it is mandatory.

Even some cheapo 300+ oz./in. servos (Solar D772) and other clones are power hungry, and can easily black out an ESC just buy turning lock-to-lock quickly on the ground with no obstructions, and that's just on an SCX10 or similar sized vehicle.

For general scale driving, I do agree that a quality ESC is fairly capable.

Back