• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Best brushless setup Scx24

Cstenmark

So I’m running the ox050 motor and I love it except for the lack of any wheel speed. I love the torque and have been using it for a couple weeks now. Way better than stock but like I said. I’m looking at several different options. I’m buying a tegu I think it’s called for the 3s capability and I’m now looking for a good motor for it now and I’m still a bit confused about the tegu so I’m waiting till it comes in to make my next moves but I think it’ll need a receiver and new transmitter as well. Not wanting to spend over 200$ on the entire setup for a brushless setup including the remote and receiver if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aftermarket ESCs can plug into the factory electronics so you can keep the stock radio.
IMO at first try the new ESC on the current motor, the ESC alone will be an upgrade. As far as brushless, there's lots of options out there. People like the surpass motor, but IMO it's too large.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Just get pnracing 70t 130 can and put the neo mags inside. You won’t want another motor ever again.

I wanna get in on this discussion, I have a few questions

What brushless options do we have at this point? There’s the Surpass 2204, Furitek is coming out with their own version. There’s the ones GamyRC has tested, the 1914 & 1408, which I think both are rated at 1100kv. There’s also an abundance of various drone and RC plane motors out there, in many sizes. I’ve been looking at a 2212/930kv plane motor that looks rather cheap. And then there’s the mini-z options as well.

Also, what plays into how much torque a brushless motor generates? Do longer cans generate more torque due to the additional magnet length, and windings, making a larger overall magnetic field? Do larger diameter frames have a similar effect, as I suspect they do? And how does the ESC play into the torque equation? I haven’t done to much research on this, as brushless is still new magic to me. I do understand that the more poles/slots a motor has, the smoother the startup.

I ask all these questions as my current project, CR18 based with an scx24 trans, is not geared lo enough. It’s a pretty tall geared combination with the HP axles. To tall for crawling. I did get RC4WD Gelande-18 axles, mostly for scale look reasons, and just know that the 2.25:1-ish ratio is not low enough to gear it down. I also have an Adventure-2 transfer case to help with gear reduction, but feel that this as well won’t be enough. But maybe it might, as I also got a Furitek Lizard in preparation for a brushless setup.

Also, sorry if I’m thread-jacking (and the wall of text),but I feel that these questions are relevant to the discussion. This seemed like the better place to ask vs. starting a new thread.

Last edited:
Yea the surpass just looks so big and a pain to put in. Thanks for a list of decent motors to use. Now just gotta look at some vids on those brushless motors and pull the trigger on something :).

I have this in one of my rigs. Quite a bit faster than the stock motor. Tons more torque as well. Still slow crawls very well.

https://www.hobbytown.com/hobbywing...s-motor-5200kv-hwa90010010/p-xuycsfhq3tabg4yz

I'm strongly considering this for my next build. It's a 4 pole motor. Should be even more smooth with more power. It's a bit larger though.

https://www.hobbytown.com/hobbywing...s-motor-4500kv-hwa30404001/p-xuhwhcjqcuqbg4yz

...I'm strongly considering this for my next build. It's a 4 pole motor. Should be even more smooth with more power. It's a bit larger though.

https://www.hobbytown.com/hobbywing...s-motor-4500kv-hwa30404001/p-xuhwhcjqcuqbg4yz

I own two of these lil red motors, the one u listed, which TBH, has a way-lonngerrr can, than space (at least for my betty build) allows! I also have a shorter-can version of the same darn thing and i believe its 5200 or 5400?? Kv?! Instead of the 2435-can, 4500kv.

IMHO, i tried both as a "speed"/BL upgrade in my Losi Mini T 2.0....and neither even came CLOSE to the performance of the Dynamite 2-in-1 ESC/BL 6000kv motor!!

I decided against both for my Betty, as i didnt initially want to hack'n'fab my way to getting the truck back to crawl-worthy. The shorter can motor was now too wide (diameter). And i run Bowhouse LCG battery & esc tray combo, which i was like " heck-nawh!" I aint cutting my rig up just yet!!

..fast forward... bought surpass outrunner/GamyRC mount, "Furi-Tegu", and a FS-3B Rx....definitely ended up cutting some esc tray to make room for outrunner (being the whole 'can' moves, externally...) I didnt want it rubbing things to smithereens!! (But i was desperate to make the best of the new Tegu while simultaneously getting my first outrunner BL motor!). I had read of the Ox motors, the Barrage swap, etc....and despite how difficult it was to find "smaller motor "numbers" online".....I ended up going the "budget" route. Absolutely no complaints in approx. 1month! LOVE the setup and have left only to adjust COG (stacked Rx on top of esc [emoji1751])...and drive, drive, drive
76b790f392099229b59436a360180a3e.jpg
7903decd99e7e9bc9f85dc464d957487.jpg
6253c7676dafdd3f5e2d215eac25ed8b.jpg
d0b19c8fd9dfe6306e197f43f0fd2b1d.jpg
c7fccd121d3546099599fb392a4763a2.jpg

Read-Up! Mod-On! Crawl EXCESSIVELY!

I own two of these lil red motors, the one u listed, which TBH, has a way-lonngerrr can, than space (at least for my betty build) allows! I also have a shorter-can version of the same darn thing and i believe its 5200 or 5400?? Kv?! Instead of the 2435-can, 4500kv.

IMHO, i tried both as a "speed"/BL upgrade in my Losi Mini T 2.0....and neither even came CLOSE to the performance of the Dynamite 2-in-1 ESC/BL 6000kv motor!!

I decided against both for my Betty, as i didnt initially want to hack'n'fab my way to getting the truck back to crawl-worthy. The shorter can motor was now too wide (diameter). And i run Bowhouse LCG battery & esc tray combo, which i was like " heck-nawh!" I aint cutting my rig up just yet!!

..fast forward... bought surpass outrunner/GamyRC mount, "Furi-Tegu", and a FS-3B Rx....definitely ended up cutting some esc tray to make room for outrunner (being the whole 'can' moves, externally...) I didnt want it rubbing things to smithereens!! (But i was desperate to make the best of the new Tegu while simultaneously getting my first outrunner BL motor!). I had read of the Ox motors, the Barrage swap, etc....and despite how difficult it was to find "smaller motor "numbers" online".....I ended up going the "budget" route. Absolutely no complaints in approx. 1month! LOVE the setup and have left only to adjust COG (stacked Rx on top of esc [emoji1751])...and drive, drive, drive
76b790f392099229b59436a360180a3e.jpg
7903decd99e7e9bc9f85dc464d957487.jpg
6253c7676dafdd3f5e2d215eac25ed8b.jpg
d0b19c8fd9dfe6306e197f43f0fd2b1d.jpg
c7fccd121d3546099599fb392a4763a2.jpg

Where does the motor plate come from? I just ordered the 2204. Now looking for that bracket.

So awaiting parts but am short the surpass 2204 motor mount and pinion trying to find just the pinion anyone knows let me know.The mount I am ordering tonight found it.

So awaiting parts but am short the surpass 2204 motor mount and pinion trying to find just the pinion anyone knows let me know.The mount I am ordering tonight found it.

Pinion
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253271808092

Surpass clone(I think they are all the same)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/173029368072
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174114519419

Both motors fit fine with no cutting anything if you use this mount. And just flip your battery tray and scoot it back a mount hole. The Gamy RC version is forward facing, costs to much. Takes to long to get and caused mine to tilt sideways. The mount I listed is much better. And you dont have to cut anything.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254896820655?hash=item3b5908d1af:g:e40AAOSwcMNgMZq~

You can see the setup here.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/micro-scale-rigs/609547-bigworm%92s-scx24-build-7.html#post6075209

Last edited:
So what’s the difference between motors.

Also been searching everywhere I settled on buying furiteks kit.
3661c5e92057ad24e12b2f18f2565102.png

So now I’m wondering if I should do the front axle overdrive gear.

Last edited:
So what’s the difference between motors.

Also been searching everywhere I settled on buying furiteks kit.
3661c5e92057ad24e12b2f18f2565102.png

So now I’m wondering if I should do the front axle overdrive gear.

I would get everything you've brought up and show us so far install it all make sure she runs good crawl millions of times and then decide whether or not you need to get more front wheel speed to pull you up and over steep climbs / obstacles and to be honest in my opinion, the overdrive wasn't a huge improvement mixed with the upgraded motor and ESC however it did improve the stock setup significantly.

The overdrive gears are worth it for the steering improvement alone in my opinion. I noticed that way more than any improvement in straight on climbing ability.

The overdrive gears are worth it for the steering improvement alone in my opinion. I noticed that way more than any improvement in straight on climbing ability.
@Trike Kid do you have the (any, but for ex.) HR +4mm extended stub axles? Or any form of widening going on? Just curious.

No widening. I am awaiting those kits from China as well got the +4mm kit for all of em cause I do notice a big difference with just my boys offset wheels and my keep with side to side stability. Mine will tip way easier than his I know it’s a keep but still does it more in the jeep so I did purchase the kits to widen just waiting patiently. I’ll post a vid of the install and the results.
beb8f1042f6ab7d16550af77dd5cb7ee.jpg

Sry also noticed I didn’t have his wheels on there lol I’ll snap some pics after work and show ya what they look like n just the tiny difference in offset makes a significant difference.

Jeep in action

https://youtu.be/OPD4ChLXooA

@Trike Kid do you have the (any, but for ex.) HR +4mm extended stub axles? Or any form of widening going on? Just curious.

Just what was gained with the SSD wheels over stock. I don't like anything that widens from the knuckle out, the increase in scrub radius is hard on stuff.

Both motors fit fine with no cutting anything if you use this mount. And just flip your battery tray and scoot it back a mount hole.

I tried doing this with the JLU and it's a no go using the stock/HR shock mounts. In order to do the battery tray flip on the JLU, you must screw the rear shocks directly to the rails, so unfortunately this doesn't work for all of us.

What I have found is that the battery tray slides into the rail channel(?) and will fit in between the rails, the battery will fit in between the HR shock mounts if mounted low enough, so my plan with the JLU and the backdoor motor mount is to notch the battery tray, drill a hole in the long stand off(?) and use the hole in between the rear body hinge and shock mount to secure the tray.

I have seen some of the low profile battery trays on Shapeways, but did not see one that slides into the rail channel(?). It would be cool if someone could design a proper mounting plate/battery tray that slides into the channel, with the shock mount area notched out, and some screw holes. I'd do it, but don't have the skill set or a 3D printer.

Back