• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Battery / Gearing / Motor combo question

mash914

Pebble Pounder
To get started with my new Enduro kit, I grabbed an old Axial 20T motor I had from my old Wraith Spyder. When I bought it, the dude at my LHS recommended a 12T spur gear. I am also using a 3S LIPO.

Combined with the Hobbywing 1080, my Enduro has pretty nice low speed control, but I'd like to get some more wheel speed. I'd like to stay brushless. Is there a good motor / pinion combo you guys would recommend?

BTW, stock spur gear.

I was thinking of trying out a CrawlMaster Sport 550 8t. Would this be good? What spur would go well with it?

I am running a Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Sport 13T with a 17T pinion on my Trailrunner currently. Really smooth start up due to 5 Pole design and decent wheel speed. Also, it is running on 3S.

BTW, I am assuming brushed system due to the 1080 and 48P gearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am running a Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Sport 13T with a 17T pinion on my Trailrunner currently. Really smooth start up due to 5 Pole design and decent wheel speed. Also, it is running on 3S.

BTW, I am assuming brushed system due to the 1080 and 48P gearing.

Yep, brushed currently

I was just looking at that table :mrgreen:

So that means that I'm running a good bit slower combo. I'm guessing switching to a 550 will give me more torque so I can use a larger pinion?

If I were to use the CrawlMaster Sport 550 10t or 8t with a 17tooth pinion i'd get more wheelspeed, right?

Since I have the kit, I don't have any reference for stock, unfortunately.

I was just looking at that table :mrgreen:

So that means that I'm running a good bit slower combo. I'm guessing switching to a 550 will give me more torque so I can use a larger pinion?

If I were to use the CrawlMaster Sport 550 10t or 8t with a 17tooth pinion i'd get more wheelspeed, right?

Since I have the kit, I don't have any reference for stock, unfortunately.

The 550 will give more torque than a 540. Between the 10T and 8T, the 10T will have more torque, while the 8T will have more wheel speed. Both should have more wheel speed.

The 17T pinion should be good starting point.

I'm going to say........pinion too small. I'd suggest something in the 15t - 17t range and see what you like best.

Ordering the pinion now - thanks.

As for the motor, I'm curious to try the Crawlmaster 550 - for $20 I think I'll give it a shot. I can't find the 10T anywhere, so I may just grab the 8T and see what happens.

Thank you guys for the help.

Back