• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Basher-tough Crawler Shocks? Been out of the hobby for awhile...

ajsmcs

Quarry Creeper
I've been out of the hobby for about 4-5 years now, but my truck-loving 2yo daughter has me dusting off some of the old toys to brighten up those young eyes. :)

I have the kit version of the SCX10-II that I built as a zippy trail crawler with a Holmes brushless system thats got enough power that i need to run expo or risk easy wheelies in either direction....

Anyway, it came with those worst-of-all-worlds plastic cap/metal body Icon shocks that look nice, but blow out any time they hit a hard bump at anything other than dead slow speed. I got tired of constantly having to redo the oil.

Bear in mind I'm not doing backflips off 8ft tall BMX ramps like its a REVO or anything. I like to ride it a little rough. Ya know, we like a little air here and there. (just, again, not to the extent of a beefy go-fast truck. We have other cars for that...)

Does anybody make a good set of crawler shocks that function well/are easily tuned but can still take bumps without blowing out?

I've seen TRX shocks, Yeah Racing Lizards, and some made by Proline recommended elsewhere, but nobody mentions how well they hold up

everyone used to rave about the traxxass big boar shocks i think there 100mm but you could limit the down traval on them to 90mm
lots of tuning options also
im sure they sell aluminum caps for the shocks you already have might be a cheap way to go

Big Bores were the really old Traxxas shocks. I think they got replaced by the GTS about 10 years ago, don't quote me on that. GTS shocks are high on my list, though. I've had no issues with stock traxxas shocks on any of my other cars, even under heavy abuse. The DluxFab shocks also sound pretty good. Apparently they're based on traxxas shocks.

Aluminum ICON caps are $40 for 4. I may as well buy a full set of shocks at that point. Good thought, though.

I would recommend the DLux dravtechs, which are basically a modified Traxxas big bore, or some element shocks. Either of those would probably be ideal for your situation.

I’ve gotten the element shocks as cheap as $40 for a set of take offs. A new set of the factory team versions are around $80 I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pro-Line's shocks do hold up to abuse. They're also probably the more expensive option.

RC4WD (surprisingly) makess a 90mm King replica with a black body. Those are also a good, durable shock that can withstand some abuse. I have a set on the rear end of my Yeti Jr. that my youngest kids have put through its paces for a few years.

Big bores are the standard. So good dravtechs are copies but smoother on the outside and uses Traxxas innards. I’ve run modified big bores and dravtechs and never issues. My winged basher has never blown any out. Easy choice for me

Hang up and Drive

Sounds like the dravtechs are the ticket. Any recommendation on spring stiffness for the Cherokee body with plenty of accessories?

Back