• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

bad customer service stories. (non-rc)

badhoopty

just had one. need to vent. its long, idgaf... :flipoff:

the display on my ancient (early/mid 2000's) alpine phantom face 7998 head unit gave the ghost a few weeks back. i googled it and saw its a pretty common problem with that particular model. but i figured what the heck and i email alpine to see if it's still servicable. in the email i acknowledge its an old unit and a common problem with the biolite displays on the phantom face 7998. it was enough info that ANY tech guy could answer my question without hesitation...

however, i get this reply back-

Response By Email (Melody) (06/08/2017 07:22 AM)
Dear Jason,
Thank you for contacting Alpine Customer Service Repair. Per your recent request, we are pleased to provide you with the estimate for the repair of your product.
Assuming that there is no excessive physical damage or liquid damage or other extensive issues, the flat rate repair price including ground freight back to you will be $110. Please note that if the unit is un-repairable or is no trouble found, we charge a handling fee of $50.00.

now... i might be dumb, but that sure as heck gave me hope thinking they could maybe fix it. i printed out our email conversation and a nicely written note explaining the issue, boxed it up with a postal money order and my radio. all nicely packaged and everything... and i send it out to them.

a few weeks later (on a friday afternoon) i get a message from them that says the radio could not be fixed and they wanted me to call them back for the handling fee. i get bummed out and a tad pissed because i had asked in that email a week before i actually shipped it if they were able to service an old head unit.. but whatever... i'll call them back the next week and give them 50 bucks for nothing.

that next monday i was still irked about it, and i know better than to call people when i'm kinda upset. however, 10am on tuesday i get a call from a unknown number. i never answer those... in the time it takes me to google who it is, this person calls and then hangs up at voicemail and calls again 4 times... like some psycho girlfriend.

the 4th time i answer, and i simply say 'yes alpine?'... i then get talked to by some super duper snotty woman who says something to the extent of 'we emailed you a week ago and still havent heard from you about your payment of the service charge...' AND the little shit gets a jab in on the radio being 'so old....', AND THEN she goes into how 'we're just going to deposit the money order you sent us and then send the remainder back with your OLD radio OK?...'

i said one word, 'fine', and she hangs up. i had to actually sit there for a second and make sure that what happened actually happened, and then i got really really pissed.

so i complained on fb... i sent them screengrabs of my email and their reply, and the call history on my phone, and a polite but firm explanation that their customer service people are dicks and that i expected way better from a brand like alpine.

in the end im not getting charged for a thing and they promised to eductate their staff on whatever... but it doesnt matter... i just bought another vintage replacement off ebay for more than a new high level alpine costs because i have zero desire to update my 10 year old system and i love the oldschool phantom face design, but i will never ever ever ever but a new alpine product again. never.

i will give props however to the person on facebook who manages their messages there and got the shit all taken care of.

From your description of things, it sounds like they were very upfront about the fact that the head unit may not be able to be repaired, and that there was a cost involved for their time either way. Am I missing something? It's hard to nail down an exact electronic issue via email without having the device on hand.

Even when I was big into car audio, I never bought any Alpine gear because of horror stories I heard (long before internet was available here, they were first hand stories) about their customer service. I've personally had shit service from Sony on two separate issues, and refuse to ever buy a new Sony product, EVER. And I can't stand people that won't leave a voicemail. If it's important that you get in touch with me, you'll take the time to leave me a message. Otherwise, I'm not going to take the time to call your lazy ass back.

From your description of things, it sounds like they were very upfront about the fact that the head unit may not be able to be repaired, and that there was a cost involved for their time either way. Am I missing something? It's hard to nail down an exact electronic issue via email without having the device on hand.

Even when I was big into car audio, I never bought any Alpine gear because of horror stories I heard (long before internet was available here, they were first hand stories) about their customer service. I've personally had shit service from Sony on two separate issues, and refuse to ever buy a new Sony product, EVER. And I can't stand people that won't leave a voicemail. If it's important that you get in touch with me, you'll take the time to leave me a message. Otherwise, I'm not going to take the time to call your lazy ass back.

the issue isnt the 50 bucks, that was clearly stated as was the 110 charge if it was a repairable thing. the issue is the absolutely horrible way the bitch on the other end talked to me after calling me 4 times in a row instead of just leaving a message.

unless you are a crazy ex or trying to alert somebody to a tornado or something you really shouldnt do this...

Screenshot_2017-07-11-11-05-22.png

brbon_wil5.jpg

;-)

the issue isnt the 50 bucks, that was clearly stated as was the 110 charge if it was a repairable thing. the issue is the absolutely horrible way the bitch on the other end talked to me after calling me 4 times in a row instead of just leaving a message.
I have seen so many instances where 40+ women act so irresponsibly towards their duties. Most of them can't understand the meaning of professionalism. Such bags of fat need to be punched in the face as a token of instant justice. This is the only way to teach their lame brain about the difference between daddy's backyard and being on a job that demands being a professional.

ok a day later i can totally see my actual point being buried in a way overtyped post... :flipoff:

i just cant believe i was treated that way from a company that ive pretty much loved since the 80's. its not at all about the service charge, its everything about some passive aggressive skank calling me like she's in collections and i'm trying to duck a bill.

i wish i had a recording of the call, because you guys would be amazed. other than a couple nasty fights with bitchy ex girlfriends i've never had anybody talk down to me like that.

but anyway... i got a used 7897 coming off the bay, which is basically the same head unit but not a dead head and with a more traditional display.

do you recommend lacquer thinner? I know this is about rc but.. its the only one I got. besides the bad beer..

I had ordered a Tekno ET48.3 through my hobby shop about 3 months ago. it showed up on a Thursday while I was at work. my girlfriend (she works there) asked the manager where she can put it. he replied "in your car" with an attitude. now mind you I was at work and couldn't pick it up till 5pm. this happened at 1pm. so she just put it in the back break room with my name on it. the manager was getting al fussy and was like I cant hold high dollar orders cause it ****s with our budget. so I called up there and asked if their was a problem, he said no.

I get off work and go up to the hobby shop to go pick it up. he told me it was very unprofessional to call him like that. to which I replied, "its unprofessional to sit on your phone all day, to constantly take smoke breaks, to steal from the hobby shop, and to insult me and my girlfriend. did you really think I was going to let something that I need to race sit in the hobbyshop for a month?"

needless to say he got pissed. he then tried to tell me that he doesn't play the intimidation game and put his hand on his firearm. no bullshit. I cant even carry cause of where I work lol. I paid for the truck and walked out. till this day he cant even look at me. if I go in the hobby department he either walks up front or goes out for a smoke.

im not the only one who has had problems with this guy. some of the racers I know wont even go in there anymore. they go to the Farmington store. he still works at the hobby shop.. my sister even quit because she couldn't stand him. dude thinks he is all this and that. I highly doubt he is even sponsored by any heli company. guys a complete flake.

I'm trying to think of a single time I've called Microsoft that wouldn't be considered viable for this thread, but they're all typically the same anyways.

*calling Microsoft, waiting for 15 minutes in queue*

Rep: Tank-a-you for calling Micor-sof dis is PAUL speaking how may I help you today?
Me: *Describes problem that I already know this person can't help me with*
Rep: Oh ah one moment sir let us go through the troubleshooting steps
*15 minutes of me pretending to go through troubleshooting i've already done*
Rep: Oh ah one moment sir let me check with my supervisor
*15 minutes on hold*
Rep: Ok I will transfer you over to the level-2 technician he should be able to assist you with this issue, OK have nice day sir.

Nonetheless, I've spent an hour on the phone one time arguing with a rep that MS Visio 2016 didn't have a search online feature, showing him an article from Microsoft's own website that showed the feature but I wasn't able to use it. He then found me an article that was ALSO FROM MICROSOFT that explained how the search online feature would actually be later at an available date, as it was a "beta" feature. Microsoft literally removed a feature that's been in the software since ten years ago (or longer, can't remember) and claims it's a beta feature, which can only be accessed by signing up for their early-release program. Overall, I can't think of a shittier company to call every time I have a problem with them.

you got 15 years out of a peice of electronics that spent it entire life being hot, vibrated, and pushed to its max. be thankful. you got more than your moneys worth and its expected life span.
next time calmly walk to the trash can and toss it in. zero headache or stress.

I got Magpul MBUS sights for my AR. The rear is great. The front doesn't flip up all the time. I made a video and emailed them. They still made me send in the sight for "inspection". Weeks later a replacement magically showed up at my door. The replacement has the same issue so I emailed them again. They told me to put CLP on it (gun lube) and that should fix the problem.

:flipoff: that!

in hindsight i absolutely woulda just thrown it up on ebay, where even with a burned out screen you can still get a good amount of money for one. which 99% of them do. :cry:

for me it was worth the effort and 50 buck gamble to see if it was still servicable (based on alpines email reply, i had hope...), but not worth getting some crazy bitchy attitude after only 2 working days of not calling them back after their initial message.

you got 15 years out of a peice of electronics that spent it entire life being hot, vibrated, and pushed to its max. be thankful. you got more than your moneys worth and its expected life span.
next time calmly walk to the trash can and toss it in. zero headache or stress.

I have a 20 year old Kenwood deck in my semi that was absolutely cock sucker deluxe in its day. It's going to suck when it finally dies but so far it has been rock solid.

ha im not a hick. :roll:

I don't know about you though :flipoff:

As if you need to be a hick to lay pipe with your sister... She's just gotta be cute as willing.

And I don't have any sisters, if I did the story may be different. :shock:

I have a 20 year old Kenwood deck in my semi that was absolutely cock sucker deluxe in its day. It's going to suck when it finally dies but so far it has been rock solid.

everybody knows truckers dont listen to the radio.

also my wife had to tell me what a "lot lizzard" was, i had never heard that term:lmao:

Back