• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

ax10/wraith crawlin on a budget "sportsman" build

onebullet

Rock Crawler
Punched Cookie Monster "budget" build

I have been out of the RC hobby for some time. I got the ax10 scorpion kit as soon as it hit the shelves so many years ago but had to eventually sell it not long after.

I have been on the quest to get another ax10 for some time and after thinking "maybe i can buy it one peice at a time" i came here and have now decided to just build one from the ground up.

I will be getting a sucker punch chassis from 5th dimension and under the guidance of cboggs with be getting some wraith axles to put under it.

I am going to have to buy parts as funds come available so it will probably take some time to get a finished product, I will take pictures and post updates as they happen and hopefully get some good help and advice along the way. I have a tendancy to over do things so hopefully if i get too crazy with parts somebody can help bring me down to reality :p

The end goal: Get a solid rig that won't break every month that is built by my own hands. I have a lot of trouble getting around so the only action this thing will probably see is in my backyard, i am going to try and get some terrain set up that i can hopefully adjust a bit to change things up.

I hope some of you will join me on the adventure and help guide me along the way... i cant wait"thumbsup"

Below this i will list What i have bought along with a price, not only for my own reference but so that maybe somebody else that is considering doing a "sportsman" build can have a decent reference for a budget

8-15
5th dimension sucker punch chassis 99.00
dlux wraith axle truss front and rear 32.00
stock unused/unopened wraith axles and hardware 130.00
used cp locked with UD gears 35.00
total for this month- 296

13 t HH crawlmaster pro 540 (rebuilt)- 50 traded for 4 brand new proiline xl swampers and used wraith links

9-15
stock scx10 wrangler shocks 17.00
4 gmade 2.2 beadlock wheels 28.00
knk wraith stainless screw kit 18.00
vp 8pc ti link kit 80.00
used hitec 7955tg 1 mip drive shaft and 1 stock axial shaft 80.00
total for this month- 223

TOTAL COST TO DATE-569

Last edited:
I'll follow along on your adventure.

As your a whopping #2(for crawlers) in our town, I'll be more then willing to help in any way. :)

awesome, thank you!

You will help huh? Have access to a hobby lathe? Im thinking building my own links will be the cheapest way and i would rather do threaded links than sleeved all thread

I'll be watching this thread, you should have a very capable crawler when your done and your starting off doing it right the first time."thumbsup"

awesome, thank you!

You will help huh? Have access to a hobby lathe? Im thinking building my own links will be the cheapest way and i would rather do threaded links than sleeved all thread
No lathe.. But I have a dremel, a dewalt drill, and PURPMART(for those things my 2 hands can't do). ;)

I'll be watching this thread, you should have a very capable crawler when your done and your starting off doing it right the first time."thumbsup"

so you get to watch me do the things you already told me huh? :lmao: Thanks for watching, hopefully i will not dissapoint!

No lathe.. But I have a dremel, a dewalt drill, and PURPMART(for those things my 2 hands can't do). ;)

ah well, i have a decent size garage i could put one in but the wiring is a mess. I cant do it myself right now sadly nor can i afford it anyway. I will figure something out. Thank you!

I made some for mine with stainless steel rod from Mc master Carr. And traxxis rod ends. Might get you past the laith. Just need tubing bender.

what size rod did you use? Did you just thread it? The videos i have been watching say to use a larger diameter and turn it down then thread it so it fits into the rod end.

I also planned on using revo ends, is that still pretty much the universal standard?

I tried the all thred and brake tubing and it's OK but the stainless rod I like best. I'll Mic it in the morning for you. Yes I used frenches mustard and used my tap and die set. I just used a die 2 sizes up to take it down a bit. The went back with the right size. My local hobby store only sells traxxis stuff, but you seem to right about traxxis rod ends.

Last edited:
My first picture update! I got these axles from rpp hobby, ordered monday and they got here 2 days later from CA.... now thats service! They will for sure be getting more of my money. On top of that they sent me stickers! Who doesnt love stickers? I am especially surprised that i got rc4wd stickers.

RPPbox_zpsi0rlx8on.jpg

I am going to be getting a vp locker with ud gears from winnerone23 sometime soon.....

its-happening_zpsdq2nzthr.gif

When you got the chassis did they give you suggested link lengths? I need a newer chassis. I'm embarrassed to say what I'm running now.

I've had good luck making links with 3/16 7075 aluminum no turning down just put it in a vise and run your die down em. Drill out the Revo end slightly and let the link thread the rod end. cheap light and easy to bend

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

i dont have the chassis in my hands right now. Its coming from 5th dimension which is owned by cboggs, we didnt talk about links much but hopefully he will pop in here and school us a bit :)

When you got the chassis did they give you suggested link lengths? I need a newer chassis. I'm embarrassed to say what I'm running now.

Here you go"thumbsup" Cboggs is using D-lux upper link/truss mounts front & rear

Here's my link lengths eye to eye for AR60 axles for those that need them.

FL: 118mm
FU: 119mm
RL: 120mm
RU: 135mm

Last edited:
Back