• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

AX10 Gen2 Budget Re-build

nightcrawler48

Old Body, Young Mind
Subscribed Member
Hopefully you can stand my long-winded post here as I explain what I am doing.

I picked up an AX10 Gen2 chassis last month on ebay. It will be re-built as a present for a young RC enthusiast I know. He has been an RC fanatic for about 6 years now and is totally into the go-fast stuff. My wife and I took him to a spot we like with trails and some rock crawling areas. He did okay with his Arrma on the trails but was totally frustrated when it came to climbing on the rocks. I thought about taking my loaner truck for him to use but decided maybe this would be an opportunity for him to see the difference between the go-fast and the crawlers. Since then he has been asking a ton of questions about crawlers and searching the internet for trucks for sale. Anything worth getting is way out of his price range so the AX10 will get him started. I didn't want to go overboard on cost in case he decides it isn't for him.

About the chassis and the build - the chassis was listed on ebay as "rusty and dirty". And, it was as described when I got it. The good thing is, it is completely stock except for HR C-hubs and came without tires or wheels, no ESC, no transmitter, no servo, no body but it did come with a 35T Axial motor. I hooked up an ESC, a receiver, installed a steering servo, and mounted some wheels and tires for a test run. It ran perfect for a used truck.

I tore it completely down and started cleaning everything. Discarded all the rusty screws and nuts. At the time I was doing this I didn't think about doing a build thread so I didn't take any pictures. I started looking here for some information on what was happening with the AX10s and I was glad to see some current lovin' from grob23 and VoltSCX. That was when I decided to start this thread.

I'm going to use everything I can from the original chassis to try to keep the cost down. Some things I'll use from my parts bins, some things I will make or 3D print, and some things I will have to buy new. Hopefully it won't be too boring. I'll start posting pictures and explain what I'm doing as I start assembling the chassis.

Back