• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

At what point is a rig too old?

A rig is too old when other rigs outperform it in stock form. some cars only last a year.

A rig is too old when other rigs outperform it in stock form. some cars only last a year.
It's not always about "performance". If it's a racing vehicle, that's understandable...BUT, if it's not a race vehicle, and it's intended purpose is in having fun with it, just because something else "outperforms" it does NOT mean it's too old. Manufacturers love people like you, because your the type that keeps providing them a never-ending profile margin.

Look at it from another perspective. Do you see only the newest cars/trucks on the street? No. There are countless people driving vehicles from the 80s, 70s, 60s, and even the 50s. In other words, there's no need to always have the "latest & greatest". Sometimes classics, which would include the Tamiya Grasshopper, can be a blast to have fun with. As a matter of fact, I know someone who still has one...and one of my clients is building one with his kids right now.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

It's not always about "performance". If it's a racing vehicle, that's understandable...BUT, if it's not a race vehicle, and it's intended purpose is in having fun with it, just because something else "outperforms" it does NOT mean it's too old. Manufacturers love people like you, because your the type that keeps providing them a never-ending profile margin.

Look at it from another perspective. Do you see only the newest cars/trucks on the street? No. There are countless people driving vehicles from the 80s, 70s, 60s, and even the 50s. In other words, there's no need to always have the "latest & greatest". Sometimes classics, which would include the Tamiya Grasshopper, can be a blast to have fun with. As a matter of fact, I know someone who still has one...and one of my clients is building one with his kids right now.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Lol. You think you know me.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Lol. You think you know me.

To quote one of my favorite TV characters, "I knowww nuuuthing."

You assumed mfr's like people like me.

Last new rig i bought was a super baja rey. Before that.. Might have been the 10.2 or baja rey when they came out.. Been awhile.

10.2 axles out perform og ax10 housings by far. Its a proven point. Argue all ya want.

You assumed mfr's like people like me.

Last new rig i bought was a super baja rey. Before that.. Might have been the 10.2 or baja rey when they came out.. Been awhile.

10.2 axles out perform og ax10 housings by far. Its a proven point. Argue all ya want.

Not trying to "argue" anything. Just trying to point out that a) it's not always about "performance", and b) just because something 'new' comes out, that doesn't mean it's time to replace the 'old'. You're taking about 'parts', whereas my replies have been about 'vehicles'. The OP was appears to be debating between "replacing parts", and "replacing the vehicle".

If your read my parts, you'll see that I, as well as several others, have covered both sides - if the vehicle runs, keep using it (which would include replacing parts, of needed...and if available). If the vehicle no longer runs, and the parts needed to get it running aren't available, then it's time to "replace". Does it make more sense if I word it that way?

So I've played with my bomber for over two years now. It has been an awesome truck. I've had it on several camping trips, local goof off spots and treated it like a short course truck on my back yard track.

Lately she has been showing her age. The axle C's have finally given up the ghost (VP scale that the threads finally stripped completely out of) . A couple months ago the diff locker took out and axle shaft tang but I was able to have my welder at work put material back on and then I ground the flats back on. The VP knuckles have severe play in both the bearing pockets and in the steering pivot points (brass inserts from super shafty). I've been through a lot of rear shafts after missed jumps or bad tumbles. The housings on both the front and rear axle are still the original big bearing housings I bought from Dlux with beef tube (aluminum) front and rear. I managed to break a incision CVD and swapped to axial universals only to break the opposite side so now the truck has one cvd and one universal in the front axle.

The rest of the drive train has been good for at least a year after I did some internal work to the trans. The slipper clutch stays pretty consistent until it gets so hot it stinks (not a normal thing). The motor is one I pulled from my Yeti several years ago and has been a great power plant.

The esc is a leftover side winder 3 that refuses to die. The servo is and old 1283 savox with an internal break inside the case but the gears refuse to give up. I've had several receivers in it because I can't decide if I want to toss my old spektrum dx3 or keep it around for the kid. But the new futaba 4px has been a real nice upgrade. Still rocking my original castle BEC after 2+ years as well.

The cage on the truck has never broken despite some 20' plus double jumps. The Proline slash shocks have been good as well. Those get a tear down every few hours to make sure the sand/grit from my back yard track don't kill them. I've only seen some slight discoloring of the gold shafts and a little paint flaking off the fancy springs.

Many sets of wheels/tires, one non-factory body. Lots of fun, lots of jumps, lots of my Aussie shepherd chasing it.

But she's old. I'm looking at building a pair of "high quality" metal housing axles right now. The 1808's are out of the question, some of the others are questionable quality, VP doesn't look bad. But it is all the other stuff that adds up. Even if I buy good metal housings I still have to buy C's and knuckles.

Wondering if i shouldn't concentrate more on scale stuff and leave the bashing fun to the SC truck!

I literally just read this post for the first time and have not even read the first reply so here's a fresh opinion...opinion.

I ****ing love my Bomber.

I have had mine for a year and a half (started RTR) and it's now deeply modded while still on factory transmission gears and ESC, nothing but 3s power through it. HH TM Sport 550.

My plan is to keep it this way until the Bawleur is finished (which is my "scale" outlet), then rebuild my current rig (pictured in the OP of my thread) with a BP Customs twin rail chassis into a Bash/MT hybrid.

I'd suggest buying a good scale kit and a new VP Stage 1 kit and new Axial housings...they're durable enough, with metal tube inserts and good axles and bearings.

*edit* To add this...
If you're using the vehicle enough to wear out all of these components, it definitely sounds like you should do some maintenance work instead of retire it. The large scale 2.2 rigs provide an experience that's very different from the normal 1.9 scaler thing, and there's not anything on the market in that niche that I'd prefer over a Bomber, so if my Bomber got to the point where it needed a bunch of parts to keep it fresh, I'd definitely add them. Wherever possible, take the time to research your upgrade options to see which will give you the most longevity. For example, rather than go with Vanquish or similar trailing arms that loosen up at the ends with wear, go with a design like the JEC that uses the Traxxas Revo rod ends that are easily replaced when they get sloppy.

Last edited:
I literally just read this post for the first time and have not even read the first reply so here's a fresh opinion...opinion.

I ****ing love my Bomber.

I have had mine for a year and a half (started RTR) and it's now deeply modded while still on factory transmission gears and ESC, nothing but 3s power through it. HH TM Sport 550.

My plan is to keep it this way until the Bawleur is finished (which is my "scale" outlet), then rebuild my current rig (pictured in the OP of my thread) with a BP Customs twin rail chassis into a Bash/MT hybrid.

I'd suggest buying a good scale kit and a new VP Stage 1 kit and new Axial housings...they're durable enough, with metal tube inserts and good axles and bearings.
Now THAT'S a reply I LUV.

In looking for a used truck, does age matter much or is it more about the upgrades and quality of the base vehicle? I want to get my kids involved and not up for spending over a grand for four kits/Rates.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

In looking for a used truck, does age matter much or is it more about the upgrades and quality of the base vehicle? I want to get my kids involved and not up for spending over a grand for four kits/Rates.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
If you want quality for the kids, a losi night crawler will be good. All they need is a bit of grease for the worm gears once in awhile. They may not seem as easily upgradeable as other rigs, but they dont need metal this or metal that to keep em going.

Back