• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Arduino Bluetooth LED Light Controller Build/Dev

Starting my first Crawler build I knew that I wanted a winch and was going to end up with Lights on the rig. At that time I had an un-modified Turnigy GTX3 (same as Flysky gt3b), only 3 channels and channel 3 is only a 2 position toggle.

The first Problem the winch controller. So while there are some great wireless winch controllers out there that operate on a FOB, I did not want a FOB that I have to attach to the radio, or keep in my pocket. So no FOB, that still leaves a controller like the HEYOK 2 and 3 position winch controllers. I have a buddy running the 3 position on his Crawler works great, only good to 6V though, and I had already ordered the yeah racing winch good to 12.4V. (Going back and writing this I see he has higher voltage ones available)

Second Problem, Lighting. This really seems to come down to what you want. The simplest setup that I have seen, is the lights are wired into the wire harness or BEC so whenever the car is on the lights are on. Second Simplest, a switch of some kind, car mounted, FOB or channel 3 relay to turn everything on or off. Then there are several fancier ones, that tap the Throttle and steering channels, to toggle brake / reverse lights and turn singles. So it comes down to what control you want.

So As I was saying with the winch controller, I don’t like FOB's. so that leaves me with Channel 3 or an switch on the car. I'm not going to direct wire lights or put a switch on the car. Then watching through some for RC Medic's Unveiling of the SCANIA Wrecker, (link below). The control of the lighting and other features is great, but it got me thinking there should be an easier way. Then talking with a co-worker, he started telling me about his green house which he runs with an Arduino. Then to control it he as a Bluetooth shield and a simple app he wrote.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94G3w8Dr-Yk

Ok, Arduino + Bluetooth + Android APP. Arduino equals out to as much control as you could every want. Bluetooth only has a 30ft range, on its best days, ok but we are talking lighting, and winch, how often do you need to control these at more than 30ft. Bluetooth is not going to be the fasted control, but lights on or off, you don’t need speed. Android App on a cell phone, as long as the app works well should be good. The only down side to an app on the phone that I can see at this time is that if operating the phone and controller at the same time, is not going to work well. So using a winch will be best on channel 3. But at the same time if I pass the winch through the arduino controller I can get variable speed on my winch or do some other fancier things with it.

The Goal
A lighting controller with the ability control several channels independently, that can be controlled by a phone or other bluetooth capable device.

For the proto type build I chose the arduino pro mini. 20 digital IO lines (6 analog - which can be used as digital) (6 of which capable of PWM) capable of 40 milliamps at 5V. PWM, Pulse Width Modulation, for those who are not familiar can be used for dimming, or motor speed control. With the pins being limited to 5V it means the LED’s need to be wired in parallel. Now your standard LED is 20ma each, being combined with parallel means a limit of 2 leds per pin, which is not going to do. So I’m going to have to buffer the output pins through the transistor, which will allow me to run a higher voltage, and current. So the el cheapo’s off of ebay, 40V 200ma will do great, and will keep the pwm channels usable. I then throw a couple 5v voltage regulators on it so I could skip using a BEC.

The motor controller part of this build, I picked up the motor control shield off of ebay, good for 27V and 43 Amps. yes it's overkill but it will allow me to have variable speed winch control. There was a heatsink on it, but I took it off figuring it was not needed unless until 25+ amps.

So in summary

9 outputs at 200ma per channel 5 of which are dimmable
Motor controller 6S compatible 42 amps
4 inputs
Bluetooth control

So controller wired up into my crawler

The Body

So what I have going on in the body for lights
Headlights
Roof rack
RGB Tail Lights

If you can't tell the RGB tail lights really show off the capabilities of this setup.
Red = running lights
Red+Green = Yellow turn signal
Red+Green+Blue = White reverse
Red then Blue cop lights.
Ect....

Yes I do have the greens wired independently so i get individual turn signals.

Last edited by a moderator:
In case you were ever looking at shrinking the foot print some, I've had great success with the Blend Micro Blend Micro . My daughter used it to build a bluetooth RFID card reader that talked to an class attendance taking app on her iPhone. It always connected quickly and had pretty decent range. Plus the sdk's they have for it is nice when deving your app.

Thanks for point that out, I had not come across that board before. it would do a lot to help shrink the footprint. Right now I'm at the point of staring to build version 2, and cleaning the layout and shrinking the footprint are 2 big things on the to do list.

Bluetooth + Arduino

While I have worked a fair amount with arduino’s, I have not done any work bluetooth communication. For this project I am using a HC-05 bluetooth shield that i picked up off of ebay. The shield uses the arduino serial communication lines. Using the serial terminal built into the arduino program, everything appears to be decoded as ASKI. So in the program I started with channel one on captial A, 2 on B ect. Then I set A as off B as on or mode one for when the channel had more than one mode. So to explain, I have the headlights on channel 1, so I send AB to turn on, AA to turn off. Roof Rack on 2, so BB on BA off. Tail light, CB running lights, CC, reverse, CD cop lights. So to be able to move off of the computer terminal, 5 minutes of searching in the app store, I found a bluetooth terminal.

While its far from ideal, it does get me up and running.

Eventually I want to find or build a better app for controler. I have found some options out there already, the most promising this “RoboRemoFree”.

Right now for the below image is what I’m thinking of for control. Basically several of the below setup copied down the page.

On, Off, the first text box to enter a channel number into, the second to control the number of modes, and a slider for changing modes when more than 2. So mode set to 100 for a 0 to 100% brightness slider, or set to 4 for the above listed tail light modes.

So I have had this controller in the crawler for a few weeks. Taking the crawler to recon, the crawler worked great, controller not so much. First channel 3 died on my receiver, so no winch, and while checking to find out why I had no winch, I found a broken wire going to the winch controller. Then being out in the middle of nowhere Missouri, my phone was killing the battery searching for a signal. I got my phone recharged before the night run, (switching to airplane mode did wonders to keep the battery alive). Lights worked great down to the drivers meeting, and all through it, hit gate one and everything went dark. Stopped part way to fix a friends drive shaft, I messed with the connector and everything came back.

So list of improvements for build 2

Smaller footprint for controller
Switch to a smaller winch controller (probably a HeyOK 3 position)
Better wiring connector for the body
Bigger transistors
Button on controller for a default on/off
different arduino, one with an actual usb port

On the transistors, some of the bigger light bars, such as the one made by Onetoomanyrcs or the Brazin Scale RC, have a current draw over 200ma.

Last edited by a moderator:
For my senior project in college I used bluetooth on an Arduino to control a motor on a car door (much simpler concept than RC). I used an app called "Arduino Total Control" to create an HMI on my phone. Worked out pretty slick and I'm sure it could be used for what you are doing. I haven't used the app for a year or so, but it was being updated and improved back then and just kept getting better and better. I have been thinking about tackling a smart phone controlled RC using my Arduino and this app, I just haven't got around to it yet.

its been a while. I got a PCB designed and sent out for Prototyping. Should fix a lot of the issues I had with version 1. managed to shrink the footprint some but less then I had hoped, but when you have room to plug in 24 servo cables you can only get so small. :lmao:

only 3 weeks until they arrive :roll:

Back