• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Advice for an AliExpress virgin

oldnick

I’m aiming to build a cheap cheater largely sourced from AliExpress sellers.

Yesterday I started to gather parts into a cart and the pricing went haywire!

Things that were pennies were suddenly several pounds etc. (I’m in the UK if that makes a difference).

So, can someone explain how to get the best prices without getting banned by AliExpress?

So far I’ve come up with buying the most expensive item (axles) first to get the “welcome deal” , but what next?

Also, I’m planning on using PayPal, and I’m trying to use sellers with a decent number of good reviews, anything else to bear in mind?

Thanks in advance for making the loss of my cherry a satisfying experience…

Shop around!!!. Once you hav an account, you can create a wishlist. Then if you hover over the item with your mouse/finger, it gives you a "similar items" popup. From there it will populate a new window with different prices, some with free shipping, some not. The difference in price can be significant!Screenshot_20240918_111733_AliExpress.jpgScreenshot_20240918_111739_AliExpress.jpgand Screenshot_20240918_111852_AliExpress.jpg
and wait for sales, like themountain said.

Last edited:
After getting hooked on buying mountain bike parts and RC parts on Aliexpress for about a year now I've come to a couple of conclusions:

1. There is a ton of products at varying degrees of quality. Do your research and look at reviews. I do not rely on the reviews on the platform since they are normally incoherent so I typically check on forums or social media to find out what people are saying.

2. Pricing varies quite a bit even for the exact same products at different stores; shop around. A lot of shops will put related items as part of the same product listing but purposely show the lowest price item to get your attention. Example: you might see a radio transmitter for $20, but it's actually the receiver for $20 and the radio itself is $100.

3. Take advantage of seasonal and weekly platform wide sales. In addition, also visit stores since most offer coupons if you purchase a minimum amount. These are not automatically added to your basket.

4. Customer service can be hit and miss with some stores. There's a lot of information that can get lost in translation so be mindful if you're purchasing something complex and may need help.

5. Shipping is not fast, be prepared to wait several weeks for some stores to ship. I usually get my orders in about 2 weeks in Canada but I've had a couple of items take more than two months.

Last edited:
I made many purchases and they finally made me create an account, so I do not get as many welcome deals as before. My advice is find the product you want, click on it and scroll down to suggested or related or whatever it is called and see if there are cheaper options. If you find what you want at great price buy it, don't let it sit in your cart.

Be wary of counterfeit parts. This is where most counterfeit bike parts come from (Amazon, et al isn't innocent either). I imagine it's similarly risky for rc stuff.

At least with rc stuff your life isn't at risk as much. Imagine charging down a black diamond dh trail and your handlebars which happen to be counterfeit snap.

Though I prefer my house not to bourn down so I certainly buy batteries and charger stuff from known domestic sources.

But a counterfeit scale bumper isn't really going to hurt you or your family.

Back