• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Adding light bars to TRX-4 Sport Kit?

Hoyle

Hey all, I just picked up a TRX-4 Sport Kit that comes with all of the 1/10 scale accessories.

I'm looking to buy the light bar for the roof, light bar for the front bumper, and a LED light regulated power supply.

I am going to be using a HW 1080 ESC and heard there would be some modifications I'd need to make for a JST plug?

Has anyone done this before and can point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
Re: Adding light bars to TRX-4 Spot Kit?

If you’re using the Traxxas lighting accessories, you’ll need to step the voltage done. You can do this with their lighting power supply kit; TRX-8028. (MSRP - $22.00)

I use Gearhead RC lighting on my rigs with splitters and lighting controls from Al at HeyOk. The Gearhead stuff doesn’t need stepped down in voltage and can be powered directly off an Aux port on your Rx. You can than use a mechanical switch inline for on/off function, or one of his lighting controllers for on/off function from the Tx.

I just added the traxxas LED bar, headlights, and power supply to my defender with HW 1080. "thumbsup"
On the traxxas power supply there are the 2 plugs, red JST and black futuba.

Black Futuba is easy, it can just be plugged into an open receiver slot OR spliced to the positive of the black wires(the one with white/gray bars/markings)

For the red JST you need to convert that to a futuba connector(I used a dead servos connector) black to black, red to black with white/gray bars/markings.

The HW1080 program port outputs ~6v, I plugged the traxxas power supply with newly spliced futuba connector into that.

nN0A8UKh.jpg

dTKK2COh.jpg

I made an adapter with an extra set of XT60 connectors and a couple of JST plugs soldered in so I can connect to this Traxxas light module and not hack into the 1080's wiring.

I made an adapter with an extra set of XT60 connectors and a couple of JST plugs soldered in so I can connect to this Traxxas light module and not hack into the 1080's wiring.

Got a picture by chance? I'm a visual learner :mrgreen:

000dbee1638324803edd33f350eeffe5.jpg

Nothing fancy. Planning to make a better pair of them when I install a 1080 in the other trx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back