• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

A decent winch controller?

SleptOver

Rock Stacker
Anyone know of a decent one?

I have a KYX dual motor winch, it's rated at 10 KG pulling power at 9v, and I can attest to it being crazy strong on a 2s lipo.

Problem I seem to be having is that the winch controllers that are (on paper) rated at 3s/11v pretty much instantly burn up if actually connected directly to a 3s lipo.. :p

The latest one I am about to try is this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/314092789385

Though I don't like the remote, or the plethora of wires. So I'll probably remove the plug, and directly solder the wires I do need to the board.

My prediction however, is that it will fail the second it gets 11.1v.

This: https://www.ebay.com/itm/133045465655

Was the latest victim.. It died about 3 seconds after being connected to 3s. The poor thing lit is LED and a component let out the magic smoke.

So, the alternatives that so far works are:

1. Run it off the BEC/Receiver - Weak, and not sure the BEC likes it.

2. Run it off a dedicated 2s lipo - I don't really want to have a second lipo just for the winch, even though it works quite well and it lifts the TRX-4 clean off the floor without issues.

Suggestions?

just run a small esc and call it a day if its too big take the case and heat sink off and heat shrink it and bam you just got a winch controler

be sure to pull the red wire from the plug that goes in to the reciver or you will have another smoke show

hey0k makes great ones iv had a few of his only downfall there costly compairec to a cheap brushless esc. but the esc dont hold like the hey0k controlers do. but if not winching in comp there great!

Oh Nice, I think I'll do that one come next paycheck.

I'd like JST plug on both sides really, female on the input and male on the output, that would be plug and play :p

I'm happy to build it that way, just be sure to contact me before you place your order.

Thanks,
Al

The rc4wd works perfect on 3s direct wire. I've had my rig that way for months and winch used to pull my heavy ass knightrunner a couple dozen times.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Hands down Heyok makes a great winch controller .I have used many of them no smoke have a great holding brake .He also has the wireless controller .his stuff top quality .."thumbsup""thumbsup"

Hands down Heyok makes a great winch controller .I have used many of them no smoke have a great holding brake .He also has the wireless controller .his stuff top quality .."thumbsup""thumbsup"

I have a couple of things from Hey'OK, and I cannot recommend his wears enough. His stuff just works, and it is reliable.

But, sadly, a winch controller is not something that I have bought from him, but I am sure they are great, and well worth the money. On my rigs, I use HW1060 ESCs for winch controllers, they have more than enough power and will run on 3S.

I'm happy to build it that way, just be sure to contact me before you place your order.

Thanks,
Al

How exactly do you want me to contact you, I am ready to place the order :)

I figure I add two connectors for the extra 4$

How exactly do you want me to contact you, I am ready to place the order :)

I figure I add two connectors for the extra 4$

From his Heyok Performance page:

How to contact me:
While the web page does offer a way to send me a message, it does work, but it is difficult for me to reply to you.
Instead, please just send me an email. Send it to:

mostlyal@gmail.com

Hi Guys. Sorry for the late reply. The forum no longer sends me notifications when someone replies to a thread. I just looked now and see that I missed some important stuff, but it all worked out!

International Shipping: Yes I do!
Contact me: Through my web store works but as was mentioned, best is my email address: mostlyal@gmail.com

Cheers,
Al

Hi Guys. Sorry for the late reply. The forum no longer sends me notifications when someone replies to a thread. I just looked now and see that I missed some important stuff, but it all worked out!

International Shipping: Yes I do!
Contact me: Through my web store works but as was mentioned, best is my email address: mostlyal@gmail.com

Cheers,
Al

Yup, it arrived today, and it works great!

Hm.... I love the smell of liquid insulation tape in the morning :p

JST plugs where, despite precautions taken on Al's part, opposite, but took me like 2 min to change em out as I do have new plugs on hand. No worries :p

It's insanely strong, can easily lift the entire truck vertically.

Awesomesauce.

Last edited:
Back