• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

6x6 Clod build

SlagMan

Rock Stacker
Hello all
I recently bought a 6x6 clod off of eBay. It’s in relatively good shape but has a single xl5 esc powering all three motors.

Is there a esc out there that will handle three motors wired properly? Or should I run 3 separate escs?

I plan on staying brushed for now to keep costs down as I have a plethora of brushed motors for my crawlers.

If I use a single esc how do I properly wire the motors? I have to reverse the rear two right?

If I use 3 esc can I use 3 y harnesses to the receiver? Tying them all together for a single throttle signal.

Also can I splice the power wires for each esc together to run off a single battery or will it cause draw problems?

Any help clearing this up will be greatly appreciated.

I know this is probably simple wiring to mist on here but I start getting my wires crossed when thinking about it. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'd use 3 secs. Don't reverse the esc, as braking functions and such need to be the same. Just wire the front motor reverse of the rears. Even on a 2 motor, both secs the same rear motor wired reverse. Even brushless can change motor wiring that way.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

I'd use 3 secs. Don't reverse the esc, as braking functions and such need to be the same. Just wire the front motor reverse of the rears. Even on a 2 motor, both secs the same rear motor wired reverse. Even brushless can change motor wiring that way.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Ok. Thanks. Would hobbywing 1060 or 1080 escs be good enough?

I am no expert, but 3 of my 5 vehicles have Hobbywing ESCs. They are waterproof, work well for me. I don't race, I am a basher and hobbyist, so your mileage may vary. My clod has the Hobbywing dual motor ESC on it (880), works great, use it with 3S battery for a while. Went back to 2S as the drive train takes a beating with the heavy truck and a high powered battery. Wore my pinions out very fast. Running stock motors.

Also converted my Clod to 2 steering servos to use with my Hacked GT3B controller. Can do crab, 2WS and 4WS at a flick of the switch.

Been looking for a cheap used clod to do a 6 wheel or 8 wheel conversion.

Good luck on your build.

I am no expert, but 3 of my 5 vehicles have Hobbywing ESCs. They are waterproof, work well for me. I don't race, I am a basher and hobbyist, so your mileage may vary. My clod has the Hobbywing dual motor ESC on it (880), works great, use it with 3S battery for a while. Went back to 2S as the drive train takes a beating with the heavy truck and a high powered battery. Wore my pinions out very fast. Running stock motors.

Also converted my Clod to 2 steering servos to use with my Hacked GT3B controller. Can do crab, 2WS and 4WS at a flick of the switch.

Been looking for a cheap used clod to do a 6 wheel or 8 wheel conversion.

Good luck on your build.

Great! I use hobbywings on all of my crawlers, one is the 880. I really like them but this is my first experience with a clod other than the commercials from my childhood.
Will definitely stick to a 2s. I just want to play around, not looking for a speed demon.

Thank you for all of your help!

Back